Small plane crash in CT

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Small plane crash in CT

Post by JoeS475 »

I'm posting this because it has incredible video, and because there were no fatalities. Also, I believe this was at A2A's home base. I won't speculate on the cause, but I will say that is the most fortunately placed tree ever, it is the only reason this was not a tragedy IMO...

That surveillance video is just mesmerizing.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/36336635/no-i ... plainville
Joe

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Small plane crash in CT

Post by cflord »

Unbelievable! That was one lucky S.O.B. Who would of ever guessed how this all played out. Thanks for posting Joe.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :shock:

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

Wow, it's almost cartoon-like how the tree almost appears to set the airplane on the ground. What a lucky, lucky individual...

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Well THAT is going to rattle your teeth!

Glad to see the pilot and everyone on the ground OK.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Shoot this is a lucky save! Must have been scary for a second in that cabin... only 10 degrees of flaps if I see well.. probably tried to extend the glide more then tried to hit slow... what do you think? (Hope I'm not in infringement of forum rules here, I just want to check my understanding of force landing procedure on the 172 with your personal/professional knowledge)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Based on the description from the witness, i think this might be a botched go-around, but it is very impossible to know without the investigation.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

nojwod
Senior Airman

Post by nojwod »

This was a technique used by WW1 pilots when they had no choice of where to land, for instance going down over a forested area. The impact speed of a stalled WW1 fighter could be as low as 20 mph if done correctly. And many a GA pilot has walked away from a crash by using the ability of trees to take a lot of the momentum out of a plane.

A couple of pilots I have met have deliberately steered their crashing planes into the tops of trees or taken the wings off by aiming between trees and walked away as a result. However I don't think this pilot was in enough control to actually aim for this tree it looks like sheer good luck.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

nojwod wrote:This was a technique used by WW1 pilots when they had no choice of where to land, for instance going down over a forested area. The impact speed of a stalled WW1 fighter could be as low as 20 mph if done correctly. .
Exactly...here's one from my archives....

https://imgur.com/a/JhfM0
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

sixgun
Senior Airman

Post by sixgun »

Now that's a real tree hugger ! lol
Great to hear no one was hurt.

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

That qualifies as a good landing since the pilot can walk away, but it's not a great landing since he can't use the airplane again.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”