DTG Flight Sim World...

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
pilotman767
Airman First Class

Re: DTG Flight Sim World...

Post by pilotman767 »

I purchased it yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly it ran, despite my system being below the minimum spec they recommend. I was still getting max 40fps min 10fps with everything maxed out on my 2gig GTX770. I look forward to development updates and further features and functionality!

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

I'm reading all the feedbacks on the various forums, and could learn a few interesting points.

Few people know it, but it's totally possible to use FSX sceneries in FSW, for example :)
Importing FSX planes is less successful though. They display, but gauges don't work.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Daube wrote:I'm reading all the feedbacks on the various forums, and could learn a few interesting points.

Few people know it, but it's totally possible to use FSX sceneries in FSW, for example :)
Importing FSX planes is less successful though. They display, but gauges don't work.
That is extremely good news. With a bit of digging around, this might be a direct replacement for FSX. And even if the planes need some work, most of my money is in sceneries, not planes.

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

First thing I tried after downloading FSW yesterday, was checking to see what was importable.

I installed the only scenery I've ever done (RAF Rattlesden), and it showed up perfectly fine, with the exception of one FSX animated scenery object, that I have as an Easter Egg in the scenery.
Mesh was a little off, but I think that was to be expected.

On the other hand, I tried another ADE created scenery and it really did not work very well at all. It looked like some exclusion and mesh issues.
Didn't try any fine tuning to see if I could correct it.

Did try one non-complex aircraft, which didn't go, but it already looks like others are getting closer on that route.
FAC257

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

Tried some custom photoscenery i made with autogen which worked fine.
Also tried uk2000 stuff which mostly works with only minor animations like birds not working properly.
Looks good so far. Even if it ends up like fsx without ooms I'll be happy.

Chris
Owner of Fulcrum Simulator Controls
Spitfire Obsessive, GA Enthusiast.
https://www.fulcrumsim.com
https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Just a point on the Mutley's Hangar review - you *CAN* get to all the options and change things like the weather theme by hitting escape without resetting the flight. Either he missed this in his initial flight, or they already fixed it.

Also - my quick view on it is pretty much the same as everyone else - a solid start. I'm not surprised that scenery moves over fairly well for one reason - there was really no need to change it. The problem with FSX was with the graphics engine and the "black magic" of the flight dynamics tables. The scenery, visual models, and animations are still fairly "state of the art" anyway, so why change them? I suspect once they verify that the program runs fine for most everyone, we'll see more stuff introduced and unlocked.

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

I definitely like what I see so far from all the community preview videos I have seen on the web. I just need to upgrade my video card, and get another SSD as I don't want to install it on the same drive as FSX for fear of messing FSX up. As soon as third party developers say it has potential and that they are making stuff for it I will definitely get it.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I have been impatiently waiting for the release of DTG's new flight sim. The new platform has to simply "rock" compared to our 11 year old software running on modern day hardware even though FSX was ahead of its time it IS an old platform. Today I got notified by Steam of it's release and on getting home I had to check here to see where A2A stands with this development. It seems obvious that A2A would be making every effort to make sure they have a future with this new platform. The possibilities for development in 64bit code could be boundless and open wild and new areas for them to play with.

I'm anxious to hear from Scott on this as it will tell me about the future of my simming.
8)
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

FlameOut
Staff Sergeant

Post by FlameOut »

...with everything maxed out on my 2gig GTX770.
That is good to hear, pilotman767. I've got a GTX 680 2Gb. My CPU is more than adequate.

I may put my toes in the water. If it will not run then the "Financier" will have to cough up some $$$.

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

It will probably be awhile before Scott or the head of any third party dev talks in depth about it I imagine. They are all going to have to see what can and can't be done, and if stuff can't be done make a decision whether it is worth it to find a work around. I figured I needed to upgrade my 960 GTX 2GB before getting it, but if you guys are saying it runs fine on lower spec hardware I may just go on ahead and dip my toes in the water. That was my biggest concern was not wanting to shell out for a 1070/1080 since the minimum spec it recommended is the 970 4GB.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

addman
Staff Sergeant

Post by addman »

WB_FlashOver wrote:I have been impatiently waiting for the release of DTG's new flight sim. The new platform has to simply "rock" compared to our 11 year old software running on modern day hardware even though FSX was ahead of its time it IS an old platform. Today I got notified by Steam of it's release and on getting home I had to check here to see where A2A stands with this development. It seems obvious that A2A would be making every effort to make sure they have a future with this new platform. The possibilities for development in 64bit code could be boundless and open wild and new areas for them to play with.

I'm anxious to hear from Scott on this as it will tell me about the future of my simming.
8)
Roger
Well, Accu-Feel is integrated in FSW so A2A already have some stake in this project and I wouldn't be too surprised if the next accu-sim aircraft (Aerostar?) would be released for FSW also. If so, that would bring A LOT of credibility to the new platform, as A2A is such a staple of quality in the third-party space. Here's to the future of flight simming!

Cheers!/Andreas
Cheers!/Andreas

Torg Smith
Airman Basic

Post by Torg Smith »

Yes, this is a great start. I will be providing them with feedback in hopes of seeing more features that FSX was missing.

For the people thinking about getting this now. It does not have all the features in yet. If you are expecting to boot up the game, create a complex flight plan, and execute it; you will be disappointed. If you are ok with flying with the basics and providing feedback to hopefully get more features in, then this is quite fun.

I hope to get the A2A Comanche aircraft with Flight1 Garmin GTN750 in it. WOOTERS!!!

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

addman wrote:
WB_FlashOver wrote:I have been impatiently waiting for the release of DTG's new flight sim. The new platform has to simply "rock" compared to our 11 year old software running on modern day hardware even though FSX was ahead of its time it IS an old platform. Today I got notified by Steam of it's release and on getting home I had to check here to see where A2A stands with this development. It seems obvious that A2A would be making every effort to make sure they have a future with this new platform. The possibilities for development in 64bit code could be boundless and open wild and new areas for them to play with.

8)
Roger
Well, Accu-Feel is integrated in FSW so A2A already have some stake in this project and I wouldn't be too surprised if the next accu-sim aircraft (Aerostar?) would be released for FSW also. If so, that would bring A LOT of credibility to the new platform, as A2A is such a staple of quality in the third-party space. Here's to the future of flight simming!

Cheers!/Andreas
Andreas, I have no doubt that DTG's knows how important the custom add-on contributors such as A2A and Orbx are to flight simming. This has to be why they incorporated their work directly into the base game. I too have high hopes that this will be the start of a beautiful relationship between A2A - DTG and Orbx - DTG.

Clear Skies All

Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

About importing planes into FSW, there's a tutorial on Steam on how to do it. It really looks like FSW has very good compatibility with FSX. That's good news to some extent. Means that maybe developers will offer FSW conversions for a lower price than that of the full model. The downside of this is a bit more "sinister". It could mean that Dovetail wants to turn FSW into a cash cow. Buy old code, slap a coat of paint on it, and sell it as if it's brand new. We'll have to wait and see on that one. But to be fair, even if FSW is FSX with better performance and graphics, it still is pretty good news.

stiz
BDG

Post by stiz »

cristi.neagu wrote:The downside of this is a bit more "sinister". It could mean that Dovetail wants to turn FSW into a cash cow. Buy old code, slap a coat of paint on it, and sell it as if it's brand new. We'll have to wait and see on that one. But to be fair, even if FSW is FSX with better performance and graphics, it still is pretty good news.
I wish people would stop making DTG out to be nothing more than an evil money grabbing business. Do you really think that 90% of the 'community loving' devs in the FSX/P3D world would carry on with it if they didn't get paid at the end of the day?? :roll:

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”