A2A C182 KAP 140 altitude capture not working

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
mr88talent
Airman Basic

A2A C182 KAP 140 altitude capture not working

Post by mr88talent »

I'm mentioning this because it may help someone in the future. I had just built new switch panels, see http://imgur.com/a/trqQI and discovered that altitude capture no longer worked. In the past I always used the 'b' key to reset the altimeter and this also synced the KAP 140 Baro to the current pressure. Now I use a push button that triggers a LINDA function to reset the altimeter. Somewhere along the line the Baro in the KAP 140 was not syncing and I did not realize it. I could be wrong, but it appears that if the difference between the altimeter and the KAP 140 is great enough, the capture will not work. I manually changed the Baro on the KAP 140 to be close to the altimeter and now the altitude would capture - and now they also sync regardless if I used the 'b' key or the LINDA button.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: A2A C182 KAP 140 altitude capture not working

Post by Oracle427 »

The altimeter has no connection to the KAP140. The altimeter is a completely enclosed device with no analog or digital outputs that can be read by other devices.

The only baro setting that matters to the KAP140 is the one on the KAP140. It will capture according to the pressure altitude it believes it is at.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

mr88talent
Airman Basic

Re: A2A C182 KAP 140 altitude capture not working

Post by mr88talent »

I can only imagine that the KAP 140 could not determine what the current Baro setting was, or the value it read was so far out of range that it was off by thousands of feet. Simply changing the value appears to have resolved the issue.

I did a little more testing. When I start the sim from my saved session, both the altimeter and KAP 140 Baro is set to 29.3 which is about 900 feet under the actual airport altitude. I always used to use the 'b' key to initially set the pressure. I discovered that this sets both the altimeter and KAP 140 so they at least start out the same. When using my new push button, only the altimeter changes. This means there was a big discrepancy. At least I know now to either use the 'b' key initially, or go 'real world' and manually set both to the correct pressure.

I did know that the two are not synced together. I could have stated it better by using the term 'set to the same value'.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”