Did I Install Update 2.13 Correctly?

jaggy
Airman Basic

Did I Install Update 2.13 Correctly?

Post by jaggy »

Hi, I just bought BOB2 from Matrix, installed BOB 2 on my Win7 PC harddrive to "GAMES/Battle of Britain II Wings of Victory" and then proceeded to install Update 2.13 which I downloaded from A2A. However, when I clicked on the install the path it set out was "GAMES/Battle of Britain II Wings of Victory/Battle of Britain II". The original game install in "GAMES/Battle of Britain II Wings of Victory" had sub-folders "2dGauges", "artwork", etc, right down to "Weather".

After the update, I found to my horror that the subfolder "Battle of Britian II" created by the update contains the same sub-folders as the main game! Have I screwed up? Was update 2.13 supposed to overwrite the original subfolders created by the game? Any advice would be appreciated. If Update 2.13 should overwrite the files in the original subfolders, how do I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Re: Did I Install Update 2.13 Correctly?

Post by Lofty Anstruther »

Hi Jaggy

Welcome to BoB - I hope you will have many hours of enjoyment from the 'time machine'.

Did you download the 2.13 manual? The instructions for installation are reproduced below:

Installation Instructions:
To install Battle of Britain II, please make sure that you follow the instructions below.
1. Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive. If the game proceeds to auto run then go to step four.
2. Click on the START button on the Windows taskbar and select RUN, followed by BROWSE. Select your CD-ROM drive after clicking on the down arrow to the left of the LOOK IN box. Double click on the file named SETUP.EXE followed by OK.
3. If you have the download version, then navigate to the directory that you saved it in and click on the file to run it.
4. A welcome message will be presented. Click on the NEXT button to continue and follow the installation instructions.

In essence if you go with the default destination for both the main game and then the 2.13 update you should be fine. Otherwise choose the location of your install of the main Bob2 game as the destination for the 2.13.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers
"Home and tea. For once you deserve it, well done everybody"

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

jaggy,

For the last 17 years................. installing and re-installing BoBII,
I have always Installed BoBII right into my C:\ (main) hard drive. I never put it into Program Files\GAMES.

It has always worked fine from there.
Also easier to find, when I started to fiddle with the files trying to make them better.
When I reach for my screw-driver, hammer, or shotgun, I want to keep them "handy".

It should not really matter where you put it.

jaggy
Airman Basic

Post by jaggy »

Hi, guys, thanks for the welcome.

- @Lofty - Sorry if I wasn't clear. I installed a digital download from Matrix. It was installed to "H:\GAMES\Battle of Britain II Wings of Victory". I changed it from the original path which was "C:\Matrix Games\Battle of Britain II Wings of Victory". Bob2 was installed successfully. I then proceeded to install Update 2.13. As I had changed the default path of Bob2 in the first place, I directed the update to "H:\GAMES\Battle of Britain II Wings of Victory".

- @stickman - Bob2 was not installed to "C:\Program Files\GAMES"

To re-cap, I now have a sub-folder "Battle of Britain II" (installed by the update) in the "Battle of Britain II Wings of Victory" (installed by the game). If either of you could check your own Bob2 directory and inform me whether the sub-folder "Battle of Britain II" (installed by the update) is in your own game, I would appreciate it. If you don't have the sub-folder which contains the exact sub-folders of the main game itself, then I know I have screwed up and will physically delete the sub-folder "Battle of Britain II" and reinstall update 2.13 again. Could either of you gents, let me know? Many thanks again.

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Post by Lofty Anstruther »

Hi Jaggy

Like Sticky has done, my BoB2 has always been installed as C:\Battle of Britain ll.

I've checked my BoB 2 folder in the C drive I can find no trace of a BoB 2 sub-folder.

Cheers.
"Home and tea. For once you deserve it, well done everybody"

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

I have a Battle of Britain II root folder.
There should be no Battle of Britain II sub folder under that.

------

If you do an un-install and re-install, there will some things left over in the Battle of Britain II root folder after un-installing.
I always have to manually delete those.

jaggy
Airman Basic

Post by jaggy »

WOW!!! ABSOLUTELY WOW!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

I uninstalled my previous botched update. Re-installed again to "H:GAMES\Battle of Britain II". Installed Update 2.13 but made sure I got the path correct this time and ensuring that the patch over-rode the default files.

Update 2.13 is fantastic! According to Wiki, BobII WOV is a 2005 game. That's almost 12 years ago. I knew I had installed the update correctly when the menu popped up. Great artwork. When I clicked on "Credits", the dogfight sounds comes on but I'm not sure whether a video is supposed to be running in the background?

The 2.13 manual is like 203 pages. :shock:

@Lofty and Stickman, if you guys have any advice for a newbie, feel free to link me to the threads. Do you all play BOBII primarily as a simulation or just as a strategic game? Anyway, thanks guys, for helping me get BOB2 up and running.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

We are rather proud of our manual. I have no use for
user hostile software. We're pretty sure our manual
is the best ever provided for a combat flight sim. Based
on Rowan's original BoB manual from 2000, it is now about
90% the work of BDG volunteers, and has been updated
about eight times as the sim gets further enhanced.

jaggy
Airman Basic

Post by jaggy »

@PV, the manual is very impressive, like the game I'm sure.

Guys, anyone know how to get the in-game videos to work? When I click on the RAF or Luftwaffe Campaign, there is a description of the phase and a black box which I presume is some kind of in-game video footage? Tried looking through the various threads but haven't found anything yet on how to fix it. Many thanks.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

jaggy,

This is from the Manual:
In Windows 7/8 64bit, no videos are functional.

They used to work with Rowan's original BoB. After BoBII WoV only some of them worked.
We never had enough coders to get them working again, sorry.
@Lofty and Stickman, if you guys have any advice for a newbie, feel free to link me to the threads. Do you all play BOBII primarily as a simulation or just as a strategic game? Anyway, thanks guys, for helping me get BOB2 up and running.
I was always a war gamer. For many years I also spent a lot of time with combat flight sims, though.
BoB was originally advertised as being both a war game and a combat flight sim, which is why I bought it.
Been working on improving the flight sim part, re-making and calibrating some of the gauges,
and working on the Campaign war game part reproducing historical ground Targets and historical AAA, ever since I had BoBII.

So I am both.
BoBII has very good pilot Artificial Intelligence, not perfect in many ways, but perhaps the best of any WWII flight sim.
If you are like me, and does not like On-Line play, then BoBII will give you some good fights with the enemy computer bots. I stink as a pilot, and usually end up shot down with some of the better skilled bots.

Note: In Instant Action you can select various Skill levels for these artificial intelligence bots:
Novice (poorly trained)
Poor (well trained but combat green)
Regular
Veteran
Ace
Hero

Each skill level will fly and shoot better than the lower skill levels.

In Campaign you will meet mostly Poor, Regulars, and some Veterans. Later some Ace skilled Squadrons.
In Campaign each Squadron or Gruppe will increase Skill level each time they endure combat. Unless they get wiped out, then the Skill level will drop.

In Campaign each Squadron or Gruppe also has a Fatigue level. This a measure of combat fatigue, but you can call it Morale if you like.
Lower levels of Fatigue will reduce combat performance for the AI bots, like lower levels of Skill does.
As the LW Commander I try to never sortie my men with less than Very Good Fatigue level. As the RAF Commander you may not have that luxury. :wink:

--------------------------------------------

I am happy that Lofty and I could help you.

Aloha!

jaggy
Airman Basic

Post by jaggy »

Stickman, thanks for the info on the non-functioning videos. I was really into the original "Sturmovik" and then its sequels, "Forgotten Battles", "Pacific Fighters", etc. I even and bought "IL-2 1946" when it became available on Goold Old Games.com (GOG). Like you, I'm not a fan of online multiplayer, so I played offline only.

BOB II is really impressive! I've seen the threads about making the in-game buildings, AAA installations, squadron numbers, etc as historically accurate as possible. Thanks also on the info on skill levels. Its been quite some time since I've flown a simulation. Could I enquire on the brand/model of your joystick, thruster and pedals, Stickman? I'm asking because, right now, I don't have a working joystick. As you are actively still playing this game, if I buy the same joystick, thruster, etc, at least I'll be confident that it works. Thanks again for all the info.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

I have been using a Saitek X52 stick & throttle for four? years now. I like it.
Only one button has failed to work on it, which failed 6 months ago. OK.... it has plenty of easily reached buttons.

jaggy
Airman Basic

Post by jaggy »

Thanks, Stickman. I'll look out for it.

jaggy
Airman Basic

Post by jaggy »

Stickman, it's been awhile since I've had a PC joystick/thruster combo. I'm planning to buy a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas 4 Flight Stick from Amazon. This stick/thruster connects to the PC via USB. The last joystick/thruster I had used a multi-pin connector. I presume your Saitek X-52 is connected to your PC via USB? Thanks in advance.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

I presume your Saitek X-52 is connected to your PC via USB?
Yes, it is.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”