Starting the C172

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
CptLemons
Airman

Re: Starting the C172

Post by CptLemons »

Hi Jim,

At 23C I doubt you have to prime for long, if at all. It should start fine, that is definitely not cold weather!

I think I was misinterpreting the fuel shut off valve instructions. It needs to be fully in for the fuel to flow. Are you seeing a positive fuel flow on the gauge?

jb44mag
Airman

Post by jb44mag »

My Error. Of course i meant the temperature is 23F not C.

-Jim

jb44mag
Airman

Post by jb44mag »

My error. I meant the OAT is 23F, not C

-Jim

BrianW
Airman

Post by BrianW »

jb44mag wrote:i have tried the manual procedure and all suggested methods on the forum, and my C172 will not start in cold weather. I can't believe the "real plane" can be this hard to start. I am running "real time" weather and OAT is 23C. I have engine heater on, tried different length of time to prime, and every possible scheme to start, and no start, just runs the battery down.

Selecting auto start, as other pilots have reported, the engine starts right up. the engine will restart easily next start.

Again I can't believe the real plane is this hard to start.

-Jim
They can be hard to start sometimes when it's cold. In fact my club likes us to preheat when it's below 30F to help with starting and wear and tear. Another advantage is you don't need to wait as long for the engine to warm up. You may want to start using the electric heater from the maintenance hangar if you know it's going to be cold, it takes some time to work though so it's best to "plug it in" several hours before you intend to fly. We use a propane heater which works a little faster, sometimes I wish it was an option in the sim.

Cessna made a video on starting that might help you out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yVMskFQZsw

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”