Starter Magneto - On/Off Position Reversed

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Bradburger
Senior Airman

Starter Magneto - On/Off Position Reversed

Post by Bradburger »

After looking closely at various pictures of early MK.I cockpits, (including the restored P9374, N3200 and X4650) it would seem that starting mag switch in the A2A MK.I is reversed - i.e. up should be 'ON' and down should be 'OFF'.

I had noticed and was a bit puzzled in the pictures that I had looked at that it always seemed to be 'ON' (or 'OFF' in the A2A MK.I cockpit), but closer examination of the pictures revealed that it was indeed 'OFF' ('ON' in the A2A MK.I cockpit)!

I guess that having it 'OFF' when the switch is down is logical, as this matches the operation of the main magneto switches.

Cheers

Paul

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Starter Magneto - On/Off Position Reversed

Post by Killratio »

Paul,

Yes, I've been aware of it for a long while (since P9374 came out) but in an older (now 6 year old) aircraft, any changes that don't fix functionality are harder to "get around to". It is confusing until you see detailed photos, the Pilot's notes give no indication.

Having said that, I'll raise it again for the next update.

I really want to get the Undercarriage Horn Cancel switch rotated 90 degrees as well. My research has shown that even P9374 got that wrong, so i don't feel so bad about missing it all those years ago!

regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”