Odd behaviour with radio stack failure

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Fizzelle
Airman

Odd behaviour with radio stack failure

Post by Fizzelle »

Cherokee 180 (N3572T)
Prepar3D v. 3.4
SimConnect all installed etc
A2A updater done
Everything patched and UTD
ALL other A2A and ORBX aircraft etc are absolutely fine, no program crashes or any other problems.

I am halfway round a tour of the UK (using the excellent ORBX scenery) with the same aircraft. I set myself the target of lovingly flying and landing without damage etc, and maintaining the aeroplane properly during the tour.

Anyway, I am halfway round and the radio stack stopped working suddenly. I checked battery, circuit breakers, switches; all checkout OK. Flight is OK, everything works. I was reluctant to do a reset but did - radio still doesn't work - yet ATC works fine. No numbers come up on the radio displays. The GPS works fine (the default that comes with the plane).

If I load in one of the other liveries, the radios are fine. It's just this one aeroplane where they refuse to light up and work.

How odd! I (kind of) hoped I could "own" this aircraft until it just wore out, but I need those pesky radios!

Any ideas please anyone?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Odd behaviour with radio stack failure

Post by Nick - A2A »

That's an odd one Fizzelle as the A2A products don't record the persistent state on a 'per-aircraft' basis. Instead the *Log.dat file which records the state and any failures and so on should be shared across all the Cherokees.

Do you have any other software installed which may be responsible? Something like FSEconomy for instance?

Also, have you tried checking the issue after a system restart?

Cheers,
Nick

Fizzelle
Airman

Post by Fizzelle »

Nick M wrote:That's an odd one Fizzelle as the A2A products don't record the persistent state on a 'per-aircraft' basis. Instead the *Log.dat file which records the state and any failures and so on should be shared across all the Cherokees.

Do you have any other software installed which may be responsible? Something like FSEconomy for instance?

Also, have you tried checking the issue after a system restart?

Cheers,
Nick
Thanks Nick!

No difference after a system restart. No other software installed other than PlanG - hang on I will check the "SimConnect" bit on that now...no difference.

OK, here's what happens. By a process of elimination if I:

1) load another livery (aircraft), the radio works.
2) reload the original aircraft, the radio now works.

I suppose I have two questions:

1) Why did the radios fail in the first place and
2) Why does loading and unloading different liveries seem to fix the problem.

I think part of the problem was that I saved the scenario when the radio was broken. If I do numbers 1 and 2 above in a live session, and get the radios working, and THEN save the scenario, all seems to be OK again.

How very odd. Dunno if it's the sim or the A2A. As I said, it's only the A2A Cherokee that seems to have this problem. The Commanche seems all A OK!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yes, I suspect saving and loading scenarios is the culprit here. SimConnect seems to be rather sensitive to the way flight are loaded in FSX and P3D. In your case, if you loaded a saved Cherokee scenario directly from the P3D opening screen, it's possible the "Cherokee.dll" which runs the custom avionics didn't initialise properly. I find with P3D it's usually safest to load your scenario with a simple/default aircraft, then switch to the A2A product.

However, these kind of issues can be a bit sporadic and often it's possible to load a saved scenario directly without any problems.

Cheers,
Nick

Fizzelle
Airman

Post by Fizzelle »

Nick M wrote:Yes, I suspect saving and loading scenarios is the culprit here. SimConnect seems to be rather sensitive to the way flight are loaded in FSX and P3D. In your case, if you loaded a saved Cherokee scenario directly from the P3D opening screen, it's possible the "Cherokee.dll" which runs the custom avionics didn't initialise properly. I find with P3D it's usually safest to load your scenario with a simple/default aircraft, then switch to the A2A product.

However, these kind of issues can be a bit sporadic and often it's possible to load a saved scenario directly without any problems.

Cheers,
Nick
Lesson learned!

With many thanks Nick.

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

I just came to the forums to trouble shoot this same issue myself. The common factor is from loading a saved flight. In my case, I was in Avatar mode at the FBO and walked back to the plane. Sad that we will have this failure if we try to do this as I really enjoy walking to and from the plane before and after the flight in Avatar mode in Virtual reality.
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”