Help with fast climb - can't break 15 minutes to 20,000 ft

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Help with fast climb - can't break 15 minutes to 20,000

Post by Killratio »

Dogsbody55 wrote: Oh, that's interesting. Not all of them did, so I'm told, for parts of the flight. :lol:

:) :) :)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Hello Killratio

Wish me luck, I'm going to put on Accu-sim. I've got my checklists here, been reading the book and it's time to see how much different Accu-Sim makes to the Spitfire. I'm going to watch things VERY carefully because there wil be consequences :O

I'll ensure Accu-fee turns off too because in the cub I had to turn if off manually.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Good luck Mate!

Stick to the II initially. The I has a higher workload and less tolerance.

Pay close attention to temps before takeoff and watch the rpm as you leave the ground, at full fine and full throttle on that Rotol, it will bust 3000rpm on takeoff.

Leave the gear and flaps up until close to landing and get the flaps UP as soon as directional control is established on the ground.

Easy.

:)

Regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Killratio wrote:Good luck Mate!

Stick to the II initially. The I has a higher workload and less tolerance.

Pay close attention to temps before takeoff and watch the rpm as you leave the ground, at full fine and full throttle on that Rotol, it will bust 3000rpm on takeoff.

Leave the gear and flaps up until close to landing and get the flaps UP as soon as directional control is established on the ground.

Easy.

:)

Regards

Darryl
Hello Darryl,
Thank you for that. Shall do. I only ever fly the IIb normally anyway.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Styggron wrote: I only ever fly the IIb normally anyway.
I'm a bit more Shakespearean myself.... ;)

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

9 m 49 s at first try in the MkIIb. Started cold and dark at 13°C OAT and waited to get the oil and water temp up first (water limit is the key at this OAT).
Didn't used the 12 psi boost on takeoff.
The second try I wanted to try this with the pre-warmed engine, I forgot to start the stopwatch :roll: Time after power reduction to 20.000ft was 6 m 23 s.

Regards
Jens
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Killratio wrote:
Styggron wrote: I only ever fly the IIb normally anyway.
I'm a bit more Shakespearean myself.... ;)
Hello Killratio,

I put on Accu-sim. I immediately noticed
  • Extra sounds such as when engine is off and it is still hot, you hear little ticks just like a hot car engine....very nice. The Merlin sounds much nicer too.
  • Much harder to start and sometimes takes 6+ cartridges
  • Cockpit and guages shake nicely for realism
  • engine can now overheat quickly so need to be careful on it
That's pretty much it. I know there is a lot under the hood but this is another case (in my opinion alone) of accu-sim not being worth the huge extra cost on top of the base plane like the Pipper Cub. I'll keep it on for a while longer but from the brief flights, I prefer the non accu-sim version. I still support and recommend A2A every chance I get and on my streams though. Their work is amazing. Not all of it is for me though which is fair enough. :)

The persistance issues are still there too. Even if you close everything down and flick switches mags and fuel are always on when you return. The default FSX plane has everything off. I always have this issue with A2A planes. The only way to stop the switches turning back on is if you "Save" the plan and load it. No biggie but annoying non the less.

Re Accu-sim, B17G is another story, it adds mountains of extras Just like the B377 so they are a must from what I have and tested.

I think the Spitfire Challenge now will be harder with accu-sim on. :)

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

MkIIb with pre-warmed engine but cold & dark cockpit. Parking spot near the runway. OAT was 13°C.
From engine start to 20.000ft in 7 min 54 sec.
Water hit the 125°C mark at around 15.500ft and went down again after. Oil was just below 90°C.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

gulredrel wrote:MkIIb with pre-warmed engine but cold & dark cockpit. Parking spot near the runway. OAT was 13°C.
From engine start to 20.000ft in 7 min 54 sec.
Water hit the 125°C mark at around 15.500ft and went down again after. Oil was just below 90°C.
NICE!!!!

Constant Speeding at 2850?

D

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Styggron wrote:Not all of it is for me though which is fair enough. :)

The persistance issues are still there too. Even if you close everything down and flick switches mags and fuel are always on when you return. "Save" the plan and load it. No biggie but annoying non the less.

Re Accu-sim, B17G is another story, it adds mountains of extras Just like the B377 so they are a must from what I have and tested.
)
It's fair enough, yes. For me, I couldn't be bothered flying without it.

"Persistence"... have you put "Auto Cold and Dark" to "ON" in Shift 3? I don't have any issues at all with persistence and they would show because the Sim would instantly be out of sinc with the onscreen model.

B17/377 Both have three main reasons I don't fly them.... numbered 2, 3 and 4 ;)

(I may have to change my tune after flying the C........ Oh, sorry, did I mention the .......) :) :) :)

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Killratio wrote: NICE!!!!

Constant Speeding at 2850?

D
Yes, all the way up after power reduction after takeoff.

If the temps rise that fast, there is no chance to achieve the figures on a 25°C summer day without overheating the engine.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

gulredrel wrote:
Yes, all the way up after power reduction after takeoff.

If the temps rise that fast, there is no chance to achieve the figures on a 25°C summer day without overheating the engine.

Oh go on! Where is your spirit of adventure Jens :) :) :)

Actually, try it. Keep radiator lever at 1 position forward of normal and watch that oil doesn't go over 95C..reduce rpm if it looks like it will.
Keep Radiator temp within 130C (momentary up to 135C) But remember rad temp gauge LAGS, so deal with the temp at 130 as soon as it looks like it will keep heading north.

Add 5-10 mph to climb speed below 10,000ft and climb at 155mph instead of 162mph above 10,000ft.

Interested to see how you go with that combo.

regards

Darryl

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Killratio wrote:
Styggron wrote:Not all of it is for me though which is fair enough. :)

The persistance issues are still there too. Even if you close everything down and flick switches mags and fuel are always on when you return. "Save" the plan and load it. No biggie but annoying non the less.

)
It's fair enough, yes. For me, I couldn't be bothered flying without it.

"Persistence"... have you put "Auto Cold and Dark" to "ON" in Shift 3? I don't have any issues at all with persistence and they would show because the Sim would instantly be out of sinc with the onscreen model.

B17/377 Both have three main reasons I don't fly them.... numbered 2, 3 and 4 ;)

(I may have to change my tune after flying the C........ Oh, sorry, did I mention the .......) :) :) :)
Hello Killratio,
Not sure if I have auto cold and dark on. I will check.

The only issues I have with all my accu sim planes are
- tie downs and chocks don't always remain
- control locks
- Magnetos on the spit / b377 / b17 never stay to off

However I shall check the auto cold and dark, I don't think they all have that feature though.

You don't like multi engine ? But you are one of the beta testers :O

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Styggron wrote: Not sure if I have auto cold and dark on. I will check.

- control locks

However I shall check the auto cold and dark, I don't think they all have that feature though.

Hope it solves it for you mate!

If memory serves, Auto C&D was introduced on the Spitfire and is on all later aircraft. The states you are talking about are exactly
why it was introduced. Not sure whether the older aircraft were retrofitted were appropriate.

Nope, more than one engine just causes excess drag...I don't happen to like anal probes either but just the same as when the aliens take me, in Beta, I take what is coming with the best grace I can manage ;)

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Killratio wrote:
Styggron wrote: Not sure if I have auto cold and dark on. I will check.

- control locks

Hope it solves it for you mate!

If memory serves, Auto C&D was introduced on the Spitfire and is on all later aircraft. The states you are talking about are exactly
why it was introduced. Not sure whether the older aircraft were retrofitted were appropriate.

Nope, more than one engine just causes excess drag...I don't happen to like anal probes either but just the same as when the aliens take me, in Beta, I take what is coming with the best grace I can manage ;)
Hello Killratio,
Ooops forgot to try auto C&D. Won't that mess up my engine temperature if I fly the plane again in a few minutes ?

Eg:
1. Fly around and land
2. Go to the maintenance hangar
3. Exit the flight
4. choose new location

Actually.....I think as I typed this I realised. When you change a location, the plane would cool down wouldn't it hence auto C&D would be normal. Like transporting the plane from one airfield to another of course it would cool down.

Also the plane does NOT seem much harder to fly with accu-sim on board. Just harder to start because of all the extra realism. This is all I have found really bar the list I made previously. Not seen the external APU I saw on someones video though, is that on another model ? I only tend to fly the IIb

I've not taken accu-sim off at this stage. Trying to push things to try to see what it is doing.....of course you have to misbehave to see some of that happen. :) but there are still consequences of misbehaving without accu-sim like when I did a nose dive and could not pull out of it.

On another note, I can't help but to compare ANY add on aircraft to A2A now. No one elses cockpits look anywhere near as good. I recently saw the C172 cockpit from XP11....not even CLOSE, in fact I think the FSX cockpit from 2006 looks better still).

For me, I think the Spitfire is A2A's GREATEST cockpit render. What do you think Killratio ?

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”