cockpit canopy needs to extend further

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
burns
Airman First Class

Re: cockpit canopy needs to extend further

Post by burns »

Clipping is on the canopy only.
When the canopy is open, I can't see it because its difficult to turn that far around in my seat.
The cutoff portion seems to be always in the same place on the canopy unless I shift left/right in the seat. Then it changes. Just turning/twisting in the seat has no noticeable effect.
When looking ahead, I can see just above the mirror, just the bottom of the lower gauges of the six pack, and the edges of the front windscreen with the exception of the bottom two rows of bolts.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Have you tried moving your viewpoint down as Darryl and I suggested? Not sure if you can do this easily with your VR interface, but if not it can be accomplished by editing to the Spit's aircraft.cfg file in Windows Notepad.

You'd need to find the "[Views]" section and reduce the last figure for the "eyepoint" entry slightly. You could also move the eyepoint forward a bit by reducing the first figure. I'd suggest you start by replacing the section with something like this (the original values are shown 'commented out' with / characters)...

Code: Select all

[Views]
//eyepoint=-5.0,0.0,2.0
eyepoint=-4.9,0.0,1.9
Cheers,
Nick

burns
Airman First Class

Post by burns »

Shifted the viewpoint. The clear portions remained in the same place.

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

What sim is this?

If FSX, check content of FSX.cfg and make sure the wide view aspect is OFF

WideViewAspect=False

If P3D this is a menu setting

burns
Airman First Class

Post by burns »

Tried setting it to false...no difference.

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

burns wrote:Tried setting it to false...no difference.
Then you need to look to your VR software as it is overriding viewpoint adjustment in the sim.

burns
Airman First Class

Post by burns »

Couldn't you just try to adjust the Spitfire in the next update to accommodate this?
Have your company buy a VR. ;-)
FlyInside has a free demo.

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

burns wrote:Couldn't you just try to adjust the Spitfire in the next update to accommodate this?
Have your company buy a VR. ;-)
FlyInside has a free demo.
I'm sure I'd speak for the vast majority when I say that asking the developer to stall development of the Connie just to make a variation for an old model that affects maybe 1% of the consumer base would be foolhardy and reckless from a commercial and customer support point of view.

The onus is on the developer of hardware to make it work with pre-existing software.
The Spit has been around for many years, as has much of the A2A catalogue.

SURELY these FlyInside people tested with a full range of flying sims and key addons..? That will be where support for your issue must come from?

burns
Airman First Class

Post by burns »

I've had this problem for years, ever since I bought the Spit. I just ignored it because I was using triple screen display. The request is for future releases of the Spit, if one is coming.

If you were to try VR (when the higher res . models come out) you would be impressed. Nothing compares to it, unless you want to build a full scale pit. I've run 3D on flat screens and that are nice but nothing like VR. Its full immersion.

It could be a simple fix or a complex one for A2A. I don't know. Hence I made a request/suggestion.
Let's see what happens.

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

burns wrote:I've had this problem for years, ever since I bought the Spit. I just ignored it because I was using triple screen display. The request is for future releases of the Spit, if one is coming.

If you were to try VR (when the higher res . models come out) you would be impressed. Nothing compares to it, unless you want to build a full scale pit. I've run 3D on flat screens and that are nice but nothing like VR. Its full immersion.

It could be a simple fix or a complex one for A2A. I don't know. Hence I made a request/suggestion.
Let's see what happens.
Then I would suggest you learn to modify the cameras.cfg to suit your hardware, as its likely to be an interminable wait. Again, SURELY this is an issue that has been addressed by your provider of VR software? What did they say when you presented this little local difficulty to them?
There is NOTHING in the aircraft setup that needs adjusting, just in the sim setup and its interface with your VR.

As for VR? I fly for real. Nothing compares.

Please don't even attempt to convince of the immersion of current VR... its pathetic (the VR, not your attempt to convince).

The real world - its the only `full immersion`, not some faux replication of certain elements.
VR cannot replicate the sun on your back as you pre-flight on a perfect summers day, or the soggy knees after you've tested the fuel on wet grass.
VR cannot begin to provide sights, sounds and smalls that are an integral part of the aviating experience - as any (non-VR) flyer knows you will smell a fuel leak before you see it. And dont lets get started on the lingering sick bag odours from a previous flight...
VR cannot replicate the effect on the inner ear of pressure changes and the disabling effects of spatial disorientation - the effect you DO get from VR is about 10% of the real deal and is focussed on a single sense.
VR cannot replicate the ability of the eye to transition from spot focus to wide-angle in a split second.

VR is not yet ready for primetime as far as flying is concerned, it's going to need haptic sensors to create g-effects, far higher resolutions and response rates, differential focus AND simulators designed for it before it even becomes vaguely immersive, much less fully so.
In the meantime, take an air experience flight in Tiger Moth or even the most basic GA and in less than a second you realise what your missing: Seat of the Pants. Or all the other senses that are fully engaged in aviating

burns
Airman First Class

Post by burns »

I also fly for real. So that isn't the argument.

It is more immersive than any other way of flying "on a computer".
Other than full simpit with motion. No simulator does those things.
This is strictly a comparison of monitor vs VR.

Yes, VR is in early stages and needs much better resolution. But flat screens are not immersive now.

I'll wait and see what A2A has to say.

Have a happy holiday.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Sorry, no plans to change this the dimensions are set to the actual dimensions, using VR you'll be able to do it in all models dependent on your aircraft. The Spitfire is a snug fit, you can lower your desk chair a bit (I'm using Vive with a bit more motion control) but the way the program works means once you get to a certain point the wide view being forced will cause the issue you are seeing.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

burns
Airman First Class

Post by burns »

Dimensions accurate? I'm not doubting that, just trying to figure out what it would clip in front of me when I'm behind/inside the canopy area. Its not like I'm sticking my head outside.

From a software point of view, what exactly is happening? I may have missed the explanation earlier.
Are you saying you put the canopy there as a 'sheet' of material and FSX decides what to show?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

The view you get in sim and in particular in VR tends to be more than you get in real life, with a wide screen/fish bowl type effect. For a normal monitor this tends not to cause too many issues but in VR its mega easy to essentially have your head in a position semi inside the canopy itself. If you try it with all models in FS you get the same thing, its more noticeable in the spitfire or the 109 etc due to the small area of the cockpit.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

burns
Airman First Class

Post by burns »

Not my experience. Maybe an expanded bubble around the head, but the head itself (my head) is well within the canopy.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”