Wings of POWER P51 "Mustang" UPDATE v.1.2 RELEASED

The premier US WWII Fighter
Scott - A2A
A2A General

Wings of POWER P51 "Mustang" UPDATE v.1.2 RELEASED

Post by Scott - A2A »

Wings of Power: P51 “Mustang” Update v.1.2 RELEASED
To Our Valued Customers
Thank you for being a Wings of Power owner. We read the forums and emails every day and we’re proud how fast the Wings of Power community has grown since its launch. As a valued customer, we hope you enjoy this update.
Also, a special thanks to the WWII veteran P51 pilots and those who have been so gracious in giving us full access to their P51’s. Absolute Realism could never be possible without your support and feedback.

-The Wings of Power Team

Download In-Game VIDEO HERE:
http://a2asimulations.com/public/update ... 1_v1.2.zip

The Wings of POWER P51 "Mustang" v.1.2

Wings of Power P51 "Mustang" Update v1.2 changes
- Improved contours
- Landing gear door “creep” opened if you do not release the hydraulic pressure after shutting down the engine. Added “emergency gear” lever that can be pulled to release hydraulic pressure
- Added functional external tanks that drop fuel and weight when released
- Added gunsight reticule with on-off switch
- Added armrest animation
- Fixed minor bugs like prop texture mapping
- Improved pilot figure
- Improved canopy opening animation
- Improved control response
- Certified to the latest Absolute Realism standard

DOWNLOAD UPDATE v.1.2 HERE (scroll down to see in-game screenshots):
http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/win ... ate1.2.zip

More details and SCREENSHOTS

NOTE:
This version will update all previous versions (original release and v.1.1) to v.1.2. This version will remove the previous “refit utility” and created a single, configurable P51 in a default “Combat” configuration. This configuration is available in a clean version and one with droppable wing tanks.

P51D “Combat”
The Wings of Power P-51D Combat flight model is set up with a high level of realism, which extends to aircraft loading and fuel supply. In the Fuel and Payloads menu, you will see three fuel tanks and six station loads. The first two station loads are the pilot and weight of the engine oil, which is stored in a tank mounted on the aircraft firewall. When full, this tank weighed 94 pounds, which is reflected in the default weight of this station load. The normal pilot weight was considered to be 200 pounds for this aircraft, also reflected in the station loading. The remaining four station loads reflect the guns and ammunition, handled separately for each wing. Thus, the plane can be set up for flight with the normal gun and ammo weight present in the wings, without ammo but just with the gun weight, or without guns and ammo for acrobatic trim. The manual states that the presence of the gun and ammunition weight has a negligible effect on aircraft handling, but this weight will affect the rate of climb and fuel consumption as well as takeoff distance, albeit marginally.

A Cautionary Note: The Aft Fuel Tank
The first thing you will want to consider is whether or not to fly with the aft fuselage tank filled. When even half-full, this tank had a severely adverse affect on the aircraft's handling. Only normal, conservative maneuvers were allowed with this tank full, as it moves the aircraft's center of gravity well aft. Unless you are planning a long-range ferry mission, it is recommended this tank be set to empty or nearly empty. Note: for "Auto Start", this tank must have enough fuel in it to get the plane started, as the simulator will NOT select either wing tank automatically. To get around this, start with five gallons of fuel in the center tank if you plan on using the "Auto Start" feature to start your aircraft.

Engine Torque / Prop Drag

Just like a wild stallion, the P51 must be treated with respect and handled with care. When operating a high performance aircraft you must never losing sight of the aircraft's limitations. For example, an experienced pilot would never apply full power with the brakes engaged (during our own P51 flight tests we found it was unsafe to apply more than 30-40 inches of power while on the ground with brakes on).

If the aircraft is operated without regard to these limitations, it can bite back hard. Pilots use precise settings under various conditions to fly the aircraft by the book. This kind of realism is built into your P51 Mustang.

A favorite thing many P51 flight instructors like to show their student is the danger of engine torque, especially at low speeds. This is to show new pilots what NOT to do when flying low and slow on final approach, as this would result in a crashed airplane and a dead pilot. This torque roll can be safely demonstrated at high altitude by slowing the plane down to just a few knots above stall speed, apply full throttle, and let the engine torque actually roll the plane on its back. If you try this yourself, make sure you are above 10,000 ft and be prepared to use spin recovery techniques.

Propeller drag on the P-51 is substantial at high RPM/low throttle conditions. We have remodeled the prop drag so you will now experience a greater sense of control during final approach at low throttle settings.

Absolute Realism: Flying on the Edge

This new update programs in more feedback to the pilot during that critical part of flight called “flying on the edge.” This is that grey area between controlled and non-controlled flight (stalls and spins). The truest source of how any military aircraft handles during these conditions comes directly from the seasoned veterans that flew them in actual combat and pilots who still push these aircraft through the limit today. These are the pilots that, through their courage and sacrifice, wrote the book on how the P51 flies, which is something all pilots today are the direct beneficiaries of. We are lucky to still have these great pilots with us.

Absolute Realism is the science / art of combining by-the-book accuracy with the true feel of flight. The Wings of Power P51 describes the experiences of the plane and the pilots that know it best. This realism goes beyond strong visuals and feel, but delivers a high-fidelity re-production of the real Merlin engine.

Real pilots must stay very much on top of their game. During a landing, a pilot is trained to be at his or her peak in terms of sensitivity and reaction time. Part of being a veteran pilot is developing a sensitivity (pilotage) to what the aircraft is doing. This is never truer than when an aircraft is being pushed in and out of its limitations. We have found while some pilots could develop a sensitivity to these things through FS2004, others could not.

This update will further enhance the “riding on the edge” experience through the way the aircraft slips in and out of a stall/spin condition, the feedback received during this time, and how stick movements affect the behavior during these critical conditions.

Prior v.1.1 CHANGES in the v.1.2 update

-Enhanced departed flight characteristics and feedback to the pilot
-Adjusted prop friction so that the prop and engine performance matches the actual aircraft on the ground. You will really notice this when you're landing, the RPM stays at 2700 until the airspeed drops below 140 mph.
-Various texture and model updates and fixes
-Landing gear compression changes for both P51D and P51H models
-Tail light linked to rudder and recognition lights more accurately positioned
-Viewpoint slightly raised
-Generic ground-roll dirt / dust effect reduced

SCREENSHOTS

Additional Wings of Power information can be found at http://www.shockwaveproductions.com

About SHOCKWAVE PRODUCTIONS
Shockwave Productions specializes in the development and publication of flight simulations, strategy games, visual effects and sound. The company is a North American based company in Farmington, Connecticut.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 and Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.

A2A Simulations Inc.

Bradburger
Senior Airman

Post by Bradburger »

Thanks Scott.

Dowloading it now! :D

Cheers

Paul

Meso
Senior Airman

Post by Meso »

YES!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Meso
Senior Airman

Post by Meso »

AWESOME!!!!!
Scott and the whole shockwave team thank you for this great job!!!!
Even the repaint I made (American dreamer/ Bardahl II) is compatible. and i can tell that one with its complete checkers all over the plane is extremely sensitive for changes to the 3D model. Great job I cant say it enough. You guys desirve a grammy-award or something like that!!!!

NigeF-51
Airman

Post by NigeF-51 »

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the update, I've just downloaded it & had a quick play.
Can I ask a couple of questions - no I'm not whingeing.
Have you done something to the model just above the exhaust stacks on each side as my repaint & several others including your 'Belligerent Bets' (see screen shot in your post) have been distorted up towards the top of the aircraft?
Does the hydraulic T-handle only work in the 3d cockpit or is it in the 2d one as well?
Once again, many thanks
Regards

Nige

nigel@freestone05dotplusdotcom
[replace dot with . for e-mail]

stickshaker
Senior Airman

Post by stickshaker »

Great that the best is still getting better! But when trying to install the update I get the message that my FS9 directory cannot be found. When I define a path I get the message that my FS install is corrupted. I do not have any trouble with other planes. I’d like to avoid a complete reinstall that in the end may not help. Has anyone else had this problem?

Bradburger
Senior Airman

Post by Bradburger »

stickshaker wrote:Great that the best is still getting better! But when trying to install the update I get the message that my FS9 directory cannot be found. When I define a path I get the message that my FS install is corrupted. I do not have any trouble with other planes. I’d like to avoid a complete reinstall that in the end may not help. Has anyone else had this problem?
This is happened to me when I bought the first release of the P51 pack a while back. I tracked the problem as being that I had removed my display.cfg from my main FS9 directory for testing purposes and never put it back and when I tried to install the P51, I got the same message as you.

So it's quite possible that a file the installer is looking for is missing from your install.

In my case, I couldn't find the original, so just opened up notepad and saved it as display.cfg and the installer then worked. :wink:

Cheers

Paul

mudmarine
Staff Sergeant

Post by mudmarine »

Thanks Scott!! Very nice, excellent first impression after my first hour in her!! I'm still looking for the gun sight on/off switch.......:) I'll find it just having too much fun flying right now!! Semper Fi, MudMarine

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

All you need to do is point it to a FS2004 directory with the Wings of POWER P51 installed.

EDIT:
OK, I found something in the installation that could cause an issue if you have moved your FS2004 installation after installing it. The Update looks into the registry to find the FS2004 installation. It is possible if your registered install is not complete, the installer will think it is and proceed.

We just changed this to do this check at a different point, after giving the user the option of selecting the directory.

Based on the downloads, about 1 in 100 people are experiencing this, and if you are one of them, just re-download it again and run it the update again and you should be fine.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

CWD
Senior Airman

Post by CWD »

A big improvement over the previous model for sure. Some questions/observations:

1. What area of the texture file do I need to paint to color the inside of the chin air inlet if I want?

2. The gear doors are still the wrong shape.

3. Does this model feature the new, enhanced realism fuel mixture system? If so, a brief rundown on how it's operated would be appreciated.

In case anybody cares, I'll be releasing updates for all my repaints correcting the chin scoop (if possible) and other minor anomolies caused by the update. A lot of the older ones need an overhaul anyhow.

Meso
Senior Airman

Post by Meso »

I discovered some minor anomalies in my repaints, I'll see what i can do about it. also the star at the right side of the aircraft seems to be stretched in some cases.

but still it's a great improvement. Also the inside of the cockpit-glass reflects, which is pretty cool!

I do have a question. How do you manually release the hydraullic pressure? I tried the emergency landinggear lever but nothing happens (IAS less than 150mph). I can find the handle that releases the pressure (same handle as emergency gear). When i release the pressure while the prop is still turning and the fuel supply is cut in mid air, the pressure does not drop and the gear does not come down.

Regards,

Meso

gw166579
Airman Basic

Tail Wheel steering Has it changed in v1.2

Post by gw166579 »

First of all thanks for this update and please do not consider this post a knock against this fine update but can you advise if anything has been updated regarding tail wheel steering ?

On the ground if I apply left rudder then the rudder moves ok but tail wheel will only move when throttle is applied which is ok but if I immediately reduce throttle to zero and centre rudder or apply full right rudder the tail wheel will not move from its first position and aircraft effectively goes round in circles

However, if I add throttle once again after I centre or have applied full opposite rudder the wheel turns quickly to the other direction so on etc.

Upshot is its very difficult to steer on landing roll (and on the ground without keeping the throttle open.

I am using CH Pro pedals&throttle and rudder sensitivity is to to max with no null zone and FSUIPC v3.60

Maybe its my control setup and I have not flown the p51D v1.1 for a few weeks so maybe nothing has changed and its just me and my poor control but I am just interested to know if this affects everybody and this is how its supposed to be ?

tommieboy
Airman

Post by tommieboy »

Meso wrote:.... Also the inside of the cockpit-glass reflects, which is pretty cool!
I've not notice any change from the previous model in that regard.... :?: :?: :?:

I see the glass reflections in my P-47 cockpit, so it can't be my video card.......
Last edited by tommieboy on 20 Jun 2006, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Mitomi

CWD
Senior Airman

Re: Tail Wheel steering Has it changed in v1.2

Post by CWD »

gw166579 wrote:First of all thanks for this update and please do not consider this post a knock against this fine update but can you advise if anything has been updated regarding tail wheel steering ?

On the ground if I apply left rudder then the rudder moves ok but tail wheel will only move when throttle is applied which is ok but if I immediately reduce throttle to zero and centre rudder or apply full right rudder the tail wheel will not move from its first position and aircraft effectively goes round in circles

However, if I add throttle once again after I centre or have applied full opposite rudder the wheel turns quickly to the other direction so on etc.

Upshot is its very difficult to steer on landing roll (and on the ground without keeping the throttle open.

I am using CH Pro pedals&throttle and rudder sensitivity is to to max with no null zone and FSUIPC v3.60

Maybe its my control setup and I have not flown the p51D v1.1 for a few weeks so maybe nothing has changed and its just me and my poor control but I am just interested to know if this affects everybody and this is how its supposed to be ?
People have talked about the WW2 Fighter P-51 having more realistic (in practice, more difficult) ground handling. I expect the WoP P-51 has been upgraded to the same standard.

John Pimlott
Senior Airman

Post by John Pimlott »

WOP P-51 now handles the same as WWII Fighters P-51. I've come to enjoy the new challenge in ground handling.
Best wishes.
John.
:D

new reply

Return to “North American P51 "Mustang"”