Just Bought wop3_spitfire

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
AshtonPete
Airman First Class

Just Bought wop3_spitfire

Post by AshtonPete »

Hi, all. Last night I bought the Spitfire sim, after loading it and choosing a folder in C drive, I am finding no icon to execute the game to run it.
So I gave up last night, and this morning tried again with a fresh head, still no luck. So I tried loading it in my Steam folder knowing full well it would be the same, it was! I am at my wits end... Anyone help please or I am 20 quid down. Thanks in advance, Pete.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Just Bought wop3_spitfire

Post by Scott - A2A »

Did you buy Battle of Britain II or the Spitfire for Microsoft Flight Simulator X? If the latter, do you have Microsoft Flight Simulator X installed?

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

AshtonPete
Airman First Class

Post by AshtonPete »

I must have been in lala land, I am completely new to this... Someone told me I need something called Mic Flight Sim X. I thought I was buying the whole thing for 20 quid, load and go like any normal game. So now I need Flight Sim X Where do I get this? It could all turn out to be expensive maybe.

Its called Spitfire FSX for Microsoft the one I got off this page:

https://a2asimulations.com/store/

Pete

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Pete,

It's available through the steam online game distribution system for $25:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Things will add up fast especially if you are new to flight sim. There are several key products needed prior having a descent sim setup
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

^Stop telling people that. :)

Like any hobby, flight simming is as expensive as you let it be. The stock FSX program is all you need to run the Spitfire; however, the simulation environment can be dramatically improved to suit your personal tastes through a wide variety of addons.

The DVD version of FSX is out of print now, and therefore often very expensive, but it looks like good deals can be found with some patience. Ebay is showing a copy of FSX Gold, bundled with four additional addons, that is currently bidding at $13 (plus $6 shipping).
http://m.ebay.com/itm/181689151717?_mwBanner=1

The next question is whether you will be satisfied with a highly realistic but non-combat version of the Spitfire. If you want machine guns and cannons and burning Messerschmitts plummeting to earth, there are other alternatives we can point you toward.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Your best bet is to get Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition. After you have installed that you will need to install the Spitfire into Steam.

AshtonPete
Airman First Class

Post by AshtonPete »

Thanks for all your input.

I now have the Steam version of Msx.
I then followed the instructions on a A2A forum page to load the Spitfire into steam.
When I run the spitfire, the screen of my Apple 30 cinema monitor goes full on and the game changes resolution to much lower than its monitors native resolution of 2560x1600.
This causes the game look too big and the quality is reduced to utter rubbish with so called smooth edge looking like logging woodmill saw blades. Furthermore once the flight sim starts for the spitfire, you are instantly in the air with no engine running, out of fuel, and it crashes to the ground.
I am so disappointed so far and feel ripped off. I am not spending another penny until I can improve on it. I'll get my friend to call to check see if I have done everything right. :(

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Make sure you run the latest updater here.

http://www.a2asimulations.com/downloads ... _26_15.zip

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

By default fsx settings are low-resolution so the sim will operate 'out of the box' on mid-grade computers circa 2006. The graphics can be maximized in the Settings menu.

AshtonPete
Airman First Class

Post by AshtonPete »

speedy70 wrote:Make sure you run the latest updater here.

http://www.a2asimulations.com/downloads ... _26_15.zip

Cheers, I'll install that now :)

AshtonPete
Airman First Class

Post by AshtonPete »

I have now reached a point where I have gone into cardiac arrest, convulsions and shaking uncontrollably frothing at the mouth with protruding bloodshot eyeballs. I am just having no luck whatsoever with this flight sim.
So far I have the downloaded the Spitfire zip from A2A. Then I bought the Steam version of MFS.
I followed all the instructions religiously to install the Spitfire in the Common/FSX folder. I then noticed the Spitfire mark 1A and 2B was showing. Ok great stuff!!!
Then I installed the Spitfire update… I thought I should be ready to roll… Not so!
When I run FSX Steam and then Spitfire, the plane was in mid-air with no prop turning and only able to crash land somewhere, the engine would not start, so after choosing another location like Liverpool in daylight, summer, I found myself on an airstrip. I followed all the procedures I also watched on YouTube to start the engine, but the prop does not rotate when you press the starter button to crank her up, only smoke belches out of the exhausts, if I try another setting, It would then begin the sim with the engine already running and I can take off with no prop rotating. It seems like the download is full of bugs or something beyond my understanding. There is very limited key functions. There is no way I can access the workshop.
From what I see in demo’s and official photos, I find I cannot see and do what I see is done by others. It’s aggravating the life out of me for the past week. I bought another SSD hard drive and did a fresh Win 7 install. I again installed all I needed to run the flight sim from scratch… and all the necessary unrelated apps that go with a fresh install.
Nothing!! Absolutely nothing will work as it should.
The graphics texture is just totally abysmal, camera pan tilt and zoom is non-existent.
I have a damn good system, VGA card is a GeForce Strix 980, which isn’t far behind the GeForce Titan, and I’m on an i5, 16 gig ram and a Z97 motherboard, so I have all I need including an Asus 4K monitor extending the display with an Apple cinema 30 inch.
Does anyone think it is possible that the A2A WoP3_Spitfire download could be corrupted? I went into my A2A account and took the opportunity to download it again, but there is no difference.
The Spitfire sim is just unusable and so far a 100% thumbs down disappointment.
Is there a way I can get an A2A representative to come into my system from an external source, like a remote TeamViewer program? They could then see for themselves what I am up against. I don’t have a problem with that as I have nothing to hide.
I feel I am ready for an insane asylum, I don’t want to give up now, as I have spent too much time and effort and money to be defeated. I have always loved the Spitfire from my youth in the 1950’s and to miss this Flight Sim is depressing.

Please help!!!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

it sounds like you may have missed the simconnect install from the steam install thread here;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=44071

Also the manual for your Spitfire simulation is under your start menu >> all programs >> A2A Simulations or if a Win8 user on your start screen when show all apps is selected.

It should be noted that some knowledge of the host platform in this case FSX is going to be required. It almost sounds like you are trying to jump into a very high fidelity simulation without any prior knowledge. I would throughly recommend getting to grips with FSX itself and how it works and flicking through the manuals for how things work, the controls, how to map controls and setup your simulation itself, as you have already noted with the default flight in FSX it is in the air over Friday Habour so you will need to make sure you are selecting your start location.

Whenever you have questions you can use our forums here, but you will want to make sure you can walk before trying to run. Take it a step at the time and you will get there in no time.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

AshtonPete
Airman First Class

Post by AshtonPete »

Thanks Lewis, I am eager to try anything....I found the SimConnect.msi and run it...That didn't do anything... But!!! My mate came around to my place and he fiddled with the Nvidia 3D settings, which in all honesty I thought would not made a scrap of difference.
Weird things started to occur when he altered DSR factors/Antialiasing mode/gamma correction/FXAA/texture filtering bla bla bla and so on. Some things improved and some things went worse. So! it appears that the Nvidia settings have a big part to play in this and it leaves me puzzled as to how graphics settings can affect the performance of whether some actions are dismissed and others improved. It'll give me something to work at tonight, so Its time for a brew I reckon... ta for yer help :)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Indeed your graphics settings all the be all end all when it comes to how things look. The simconnect will look like it is doing nothing when run but after a restart things will be working for you.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”