Oh how we change!

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Oh how we change!

Post by Ron Attwood »

When the Spitfire first came out I was carried away by the surrounding brouhaha and bought it. After an hour, maybe less, I realised it wasn't for me. I asked Scott for a refund, explaining that it was beyond my capabilities and as such would never be used. Our Scott is a very gracious man and said "Here, take your stinkin' money and never darken my door again! :evil: " ***

Time moved on, I learned to fly properly (sims that is) I came to terms with the P47 and the P51 Mustang (mil). This weekend I bought, or should I say re-bought the Spitfire. Suffice to say, I will NOT be asking for another refund. It is beautiful! :D
I'm now so 'into' A2A warbirds that I'm eyeing up the P40.

*** The internet is full of people who need humour spelt out to them. In case one of them strayed into this forum, THAT WAS A JOKE. :D
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Oh how we change!

Post by Nick - A2A »

Ah Ron - If you've learned to cope with the P-51 and P-47, the Spit won't give you so much as a murmur of trouble now, so long as you don't do anything daft like taxiing around all day and boil over the radiator. She really is a beauty as you say - and a rather petite and nimble one compared with those hulking Yankee contraptions! :mrgreen:

I'm so glad that A2A decided to model the early Spitfires as it makes such a nice contrast to the sophistication of the P-51. I still pout sulkily now-and-again when I remember that they canned the Mk.V, but there you go - you can't have it all... :roll:
Ron Attwood wrote:The internet is full of people who need humour spelt out to them.
I know! I made a perfectly hilarious quip here making particularly artful use of rhyming slang, and not so much as a titter... Sod the bloody lot of them! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

As you say Nick not a titter.
Oh well.
Chris

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Made me smile. :D A nice pair of Bristols! :lol: :lol:
As far as the Spit being easy, you're right. I can't think why I was intimidated by it. I've been watching a shedload of Spitfire movies and in one of them a comparison was made between RAF and Luftwaffe pilots. He said any idiot can fly a Spitfire, but it takes a lot of training to fly a bf109.
Anyway, chocks away!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Funnily enough, I found it tricky getting used to the A2A P-47 after the Spit which was my first (pre-Accusim) A2A purchase. I read that it wasn't uncommon for WWII Spitfire pilots who transitioned to the Jug to have similar troubles. Maybe it's time I gave the A2A P-47 another look... :wink:
A2A Simulations Inc.

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

You know I feel a certain sense of awe with the spitfire.It is beautifully modeled and the respect I have for the "few" that flew them and which saved this country when we stood against the nazis with nobody to help us
.France was occupied,Holland and Norway had fallen and were occupied and the Americans had not yet joined the war.It was a very close run thing.
The Nazis were just 21 miles across the channel.
The pilots were very young men with not much experience.
I remember as a small boy carrying my mickey mouse gas mask everywhere with me and diving into hedges when german aircraft flew over.At a very young age we learnt to recognise them especially the V1 bomb.
Although it is a simulation I am scared to bend it or damage it.
I think that is how it should be.
Thank you Scott and Lewis and all the rest of you at A2a.
The pilots were the heros but so were the dear old spits and the forgotten hurricanes.
Thanks Chris

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Well said Chris. I'm of that age too, well almost.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Let's not forget the British and Canadian Navies. They lost a hell of a lot of ships and men in the Atlantic in the early years protecting the convoys. The Kriegsmarine nearly starved us out of the war. I'm not old enough to remember it, I'm just a youngster but both my farther and uncle served in WWII. One in the Royal Marines and the other in the 11th Armoured Division. Here's some losses.

36,200 sailors killed
36,000 merchant seamen killed
3,500 merchant vessels
175 warships

These figures cover the whole of the Battle of the Atlantic, which started in 1939 and lasted until the end of the war in Europe.
Last edited by bladerunner900 on 19 Feb 2015, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

After handling the mustang and p40 the spitfire is a piece of cake. No crazy yaw on take off and not nearly as much pumping for gear and flaps. Curious to see how she handles in the warmer months.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”