cub footwork on rudder

Born to fly
AJ Brink
Airman Basic

Re: cub footwork on rudder

Post by AJ Brink »

Oracle thanx a million
Let me see what I can do to make some changes based on your observations...
If i mess around with it some more, are you willing to test-fly it again in say a week or thereabouts (whenever it suits you)?
AJ

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Interesting mods AJ. The cub is a favorite of mine, and although it has been a very long time since having been in one, I want to say it handled just a bit snappier than the A2A version. Not that it's bad, because it's not. I have mused as to what the differences would be with the upgrades such as the Legend version and would love to see that set up modeled. It would be interesting to see what you come up with and see just how accusim would handle those changes, if nothing more than the experimentation. Curiosity can get the best of me sometimes.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Sure, fire away.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AJ Brink
Airman Basic

Post by AJ Brink »

I spoke to one of the guys at our gliding club that used to own a cub. He doesn't recall that the cub was that difficult on ground-handling, but nevertheless if left unchecked could end in a ground-loop. It is this instability that I am trying to get in the ground-handling that seems to be way too stable in the A2A Flight Dynamics. But as soon as I make the ground handling more unstable, the flight model is affected. So for instance the yaw stability (yaw damping) can affect the amount of yaw during flight and I suspect create more adverse yaw using the A2A Accusim. I have also played around with the tundra version (for fun and not realism) and ended with a flight model that is way too nimble for a cub, but still a treat to fly and spot land on hills (reminds me more of the Hilander STOL videos on youtube). I have been busy lately so my experimentation has halted for now, but I have adjusted the engine to 85hp and the rpm remains within reasonable limits. Still trying to get that elusive ground-handling improved...

AJ Brink
Airman Basic

Post by AJ Brink »

Oracle427 and taildraggin68

Latest mod (mod4 folder) in my dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uk6o22eg7yw6 ... d5J_a?dl=0

I changed the engine HP to more resemble an 85hp engine and the rpm now stays more within acceptable limits (though probably not perfectly so).

The aircraft handling is now not so nimble as mod1, but might still not be nimble enough in comparison to RL (real life).
I will work on it some more depending on the guidance I get from you guys regarding to aileron/elevator/rudder effectiveness in comparison to RL J3.

Slipping seem to be ok.

Spinning is not 100% right as it takes longer to recover than A2A original.

I struggled to get the groundhandling flight model to do what I want:
a) The groundfriction on the tailwheel is too high (for replicating free castering and groundloops) - I dont know how to change that.
b) Setting the tailwheel to free castering (180 for tailwheel motion in cfg file) creates difficulty with the model being too stable. Setting the tail wheel to 90/above (no real difference 90-179) makes the ac more unstable on the ground, but then it has a steerable tailwheel which does not replicate reality. So I chose the latter as a compromise and took some yaw stability away to enhance the experience, but it slightly affects the spinning behaviour (mentioned above).

Anyway
Try it out and give some pointers, and I will give it another bash.

Thanx Gents
AJ
Last edited by AJ Brink on 28 Jan 2015, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Hey AJ, I think your dropbox link got messed up...... 8) gives me an error

AJ Brink
Airman Basic

Post by AJ Brink »

Sorry taildraggin68

Fixed it - working fine now...

AJ