Landing technique
by Rob "Great Ozzie" Osborne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVYuKdLcEk4
A2A Simulations Inc.

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Tutorial Videos

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Nice tutorial, but I'm not sure I agree with the hard flare into a stall...

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Bruce Hamilton wrote:Nice tutorial, but I'm not sure I agree with the hard flare into a stall...
Can you be a bit more specific on your disagreement ?
Dudley Henriques

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

That was about as gentle and as perfect as one could make it IMHO! A smooth transition from the glide to level flight and then into the flare just inches off the runway ending in a full stall landing.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I would say that looked....amazing. And mine are probably 180 degrees the other way! Rob, I would really like to see more! Pattern work, setting up for the cruise, leaning procedures, all of the many kinds of approaches that can be set up and executed.... Mainly, though, that was short and very informative!

JP

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Oracle427 wrote:That was about as gentle and as perfect as one could make it IMHO! A smooth transition from the glide to level flight and then into the flare just inches off the runway ending in a full stall landing.
Looked good to me.
DH

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:Can you be a bit more specific on your disagreement ?
I'm just not convinced that teaching a new pilot to do stall landings is correct, Dudley. I used the built in flight lessons in FS9 to learn, taught by a r/w CFI, and he never taught me to intentionally stall.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Bruce Hamilton wrote:
I'm just not convinced that teaching a new pilot to do stall landings is correct, Dudley. I used the built in flight lessons in FS9 to learn, taught by a r/w CFI, and he never taught me to intentionally stall.
The term "full stall" is a bit misleading when discussing landings. What actually is happening in a correct landing is exactly what Rob is demonstrating in the film......that the aircraft is "transitioning through the stall" as it touches down if the flare and touchdown have both been flown through correctly.
What I'm seeing in Rob's film is correct and the way I have taught landings in light GA type airplanes all through my tenure as an instructor.
Dudley Henriques

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

There is a concept called primacy. I would not want to work with an instructor that doesn't introduce me to the correct way to do something from the very first time.

I happened to have an primary instructor, who I still work with regularly, who thinks a lot about with his techniques. I didn't appreciate it until after I got my PPL.

I would also say that it is the reason many sim pilots have difficulty looking outside the window when they begin training.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principles ... ng#Primacy

See this Wikipedia article for more detail, but here is an excerpt.

"Primacy
Not to be confused with Law of primacy in persuasion.

Primacy, the state of being first, often creates a strong, almost unshakable, impression. Things learned first create a strong impression in the mind that is difficult to erase. For the instructor, this means that what is taught must be right the first time. For the student, it means that learning must be right. “Unteaching” wrong first impressions is harder than teaching them right the first time. If, for example, a student learns a faulty technique, the instructor will have a difficult task correcting bad habits and “reteaching” correct ones.

The student's first experience should be positive, functional, and lay the foundation for all that is to follow. What the student learns must be procedurally correct and applied the very first time. The instructor must present subject matter in a logical order, step by step, making sure the students have already learned the preceding step. If the task is learned in isolation, is not initially applied to the overall performance, or if it must be relearned, the process can be confusing and time consuming. Preparing and following a lesson plan facilitates delivery of the subject matter correctly the first time."
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Bruce Hamilton wrote:I used the built in flight lessons in FS9 to learn, taught by a r/w CFI, and he never taught me to intentionally stall.
Also worth noting that most posting in this thread including the video creator are RW CFI or above ;)

Me and you are some of the odd ones out Bruce :)

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Dooga
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dooga »

Bruce Hamilton wrote:
... but this statement does explain some of the ridiculous requirements on minimum field length when chartering in the US (where long runways are the norm). Despite the higher cost and accordingly less time spent in the cockpit over here e.g. in Germany, landing properly is something we need to get right more often, as many of our fields are rather small. Not saying that we're necessarily consistently better - but for example the asphalt portion of one of our runways at my home field (which we're trying to stay on, instead of having to roll out on the grass bit, as a matter of pride) is something like 150 meters long...
(But I used to be a lot better landing in that at the end of PPL training, its already wearing off...)

P.S.: There is an entirely different can of worms with the 172 trying to land 'properly' when she's fully loaded, especially with ppl on the back seats: pulling her into the stall on flare might result in a tailstrike. So in that case you want to carry a bit more speed...

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Jacques wrote:Rob, I would really like to see more! Pattern work, setting up for the cruise, leaning procedures, all of the many kinds of approaches that can be set up and executed.... Mainly, though, that was short and very informative!
That's the plan, for Rob to make a bunch of short, easy to digest videos to help teach good habits.

Bruce, keep in mind that was the stall warning horn, that occurs before the stall.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Haven't been over in this portion for a while....Great thread and I hope to see more videos from Rob :D This may indeed help with the adjustment to the various GA A2A airplanes as it can be seen being done correctly with explanation. Well done Rob and Scott for making this a sticky.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi all - hope you don't mind me posting a link to what I feel is a helpful tutorial vid here. I believe this one was made by community member 'Amoun' and it covers the S-TEC System 30 autopilot fitted in the Cherokee...

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Amoun
Airman

Post by Amoun »

Thanks for the video plug Nick. I'm glad someone finds it helpful :)

-Scott C

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”