Cub in P3D, sticky in water :)

Born to fly
new reply
Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Cub in P3D, sticky in water :)

Post by Dominique »

Well, I don't post on the support forum as I know that you guys don't support P3D but somebody may have an idea about what to do. I didn't see any cause for concern flying the Cub in P3D, except that taking off from water has become almost impossible (for me at least) as my beloved J3 seems like being stuck in the mud and doesn't almost gain any speed :mrgreen: .

It is also disconcerting that the aircraft only moderatly follows the nice P3D heave.
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Cub in P3D, sticky in water :)

Post by taildraggin68 »

Well, the float cub is a bit underpowered in fsx...here is what I did to fix and haven't had any issues yet...in the float .cfg under the propeller section, change the thrust scalar to 1.125....that gives just a touch more thrust and hasn't seemed to effect accusim and keeps the handling realistic...works in p3dv2.3 as well.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

Is your cub all updated? Are you able to get up on the step, you won't gain too much speed until on the step in the little cub.

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

DrumsArt
Staff Sergeant

Post by DrumsArt »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Hello,

Is your cub all updated? Are you able to get up on the step, you won't gain too much speed until on the step in the little cub.

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly, no need to modify anything. Apply rules/procedure page 81 from the manual. I can take of with full payload in Fsx, I guess it would be possible in p3dv2.3.
Richard Portier
MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel i7-4770K [email protected] x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB|Windows10 Pro 64|Fsx Accel|P3Dv4.5HF2|Rex|Saitek Pro Flight Yoke/Rudder/Quadrant/Switch Panel|ThrustMaster Hotas Warthog|ActiveSky P3Dv4+Asca|Mce|All A2A

Shalomar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shalomar »

It was working fine till 3.3, then it is impossible to get on the step. I can't even get enough airspeed to get up on one float.

Donald
Virtual Avgas fits my budget...

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

For some reasons, I apparently missed some of the answers there two years ago :oops: ! Having been on pain killers for a few weeks not long before didn't help I suppose :mrgreen: !

Everything updated and following all procedures, take off is difficult in P3D except with a light fuel load (dont even think of having Heidi) and a strong nose wind. Or indeed changing the engine parameters... Not for me, no Sir :lol: ! In any case you can't really get on the step in P3D being v2 then or v3 now. My experience anyway. My best, not so original, guess is that the water has not the same physics than in FSX.

Other AS floatplanes can take off more easily but their modeling is more gamey in nature than the Cub which was the first aircraft with which I could "step on it" in FSX.
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

Shalomar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shalomar »

I flew the Cub on floats in P3D 3.2 and had no trouble getting airborne either from the ocean or calm water. It changed with 3.3 again so the Cub is struggling.
Virtual Avgas fits my budget...

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”