Piper Cub - will it be updated to Cherokee standards?

Born to fly
new reply
stevekirks
Senior Airman

Piper Cub - will it be updated to Cherokee standards?

Post by stevekirks »

A2A Staff:

I bought the Cherokee and love it, so now I'm considering the J-3 for fun afternoon flying after work, plus a little rudder training. It's been awhile since it's release and I downloaded the manual and had a look. I'd bet it's still a solid plane for FSX, but will it be updated to have maintenance hanger features like the Cherokee or other mods like the speed adds?

Steve
Steve Kirks
KSGF
ImageImage

Rarebear
Staff Sergeant

Re: Piper Cub - will it be updated to Cherokee standards?

Post by Rarebear »

I love a2a, but I would not recommend the Cub. Dont get me wrong its a great looking little airplane with some nice features especially with the accusim, BUT, for rudder work, its not a good airplane for rudder work. you can pretty much just go full power let it run down the runway, even when doing touch and goes and you let it run down the runway under partial power, it is very easy to do. If you want rudder work, I would reccomend the Accusim P51. its a great airplane with lots of power to get ya stomping on the rudders, especially if you dont trim it.

:D

Happy Flying.

stevekirks
Senior Airman

Post by stevekirks »

Rarebear wrote:I love a2a, but I would not recommend the Cub. Dont get me wrong its a great looking little airplane with some nice features especially with the accusim, BUT, for rudder work, its not a good airplane for rudder work. you can pretty much just go full power let it run down the runway, even when doing touch and goes and you let it run down the runway under partial power, it is very easy to do. If you want rudder work, I would reccomend the Accusim P51. its a great airplane with lots of power to get ya stomping on the rudders, especially if you dont trim it.
Now why did you have to make my decision harder? :)

(starting to read through the P51 stuff now)

Steve
Steve Kirks
KSGF
ImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Steve,

no more updates planned for the cub but heres a couple of video's of the cub;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNCxMcmuK9w[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54i8NEEwydI[/youtube]

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

stevekirks wrote:
Rarebear wrote:I love a2a, but I would not recommend the Cub. Dont get me wrong its a great looking little airplane with some nice features especially with the accusim, BUT, for rudder work, its not a good airplane for rudder work. you can pretty much just go full power let it run down the runway, even when doing touch and goes and you let it run down the runway under partial power, it is very easy to do. If you want rudder work, I would reccomend the Accusim P51. its a great airplane with lots of power to get ya stomping on the rudders, especially if you dont trim it.
Now why did you have to make my decision harder? :)

(starting to read through the P51 stuff now)

Steve
I just want to clarify that if what I'm reading in what you have said above is that the A2A Cub is accurately flight modeled in that it tracks fairly straight on takeoff (as does the real J3) THAT would be correct. The P51 would of course require much more rudder correction as you stated.
I only mention this because there might be some ambiguity in the way you worded your post and so there's no misunderstanding about the accuracy of the A2A J3 FDE. It's fairly right on. The real J3 has very little left turning tendencies on takeoff and tracks well !
Dudley Henriques

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

For rudder work I'd go with the p-51. On take off she'll have you working your but off. However, the Cub is still one of my go to aircraft and by far the best sea plane on the market when it comes to water physics. It is limited to day vfr only and goes no where fast but sure is fun to fly with Heidi in the front seat.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Rarebear
Staff Sergeant

Post by Rarebear »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:

I just want to clarify that if what I'm reading in what you have said above is that the A2A Cub is accurately flight modeled in that it tracks fairly straight on takeoff (as does the real J3) THAT would be correct. The P51 would of course require much more rudder correction as you stated.
I only mention this because there might be some ambiguity in the way you worded your post and so there's no misunderstanding about the accuracy of the A2A J3 FDE. It's fairly right on. The real J3 has very little left turning tendencies on takeoff and tracks well !
Dudley Henriques
Hey Dudley,

The closest Ive been to a J3 is the Super Cub with 180hp on it. to my surprise I felt like the A2A J3 does not have enough sensitivity to represent a tailwheel plane but that is just my take on it, I have certainly not spent the amount of time everyone at A2A has spent with a J3 or even flying it. it just felt a little bland for me, but thats just my nit pick hehehe. if its accurate then its gotta be the easiest flying taildragger ill ever fly :wink:

JDW

Rarebear
Staff Sergeant

Post by Rarebear »

What I do like about the J3, is that if you get some decent bush runways(ORBX CRM), it can turn almost any bush runway into a challenge. with the low power and high altitude it will make you work and make you plan appropriately.

JDW

BPL
Staff Sergeant

Post by BPL »

I would personally highly recommend the Cub. Sure, it may not have all the new features of the latest releases, but it's still darn fun to fly—and you can hand-prop it! :D 8)

Fedex B17Pilot
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fedex B17Pilot »

If it were me id go Cub then Mustang, I have both and fly both. If your looking to work on the basics go Cub if youve got the basics and are proficient go Stang. heres a good video showing some busy footwork by Mustang Sally's pilot at an airshow>

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZThXV1x6RA[/youtube]
ImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”