Critical Memory Information for Windows 32 Bit System Users

new reply
alexcraig
BDG

Critical Memory Information for Windows 32 Bit System Users

Post by alexcraig »

Players who are still running 32 bit platforms to include Windows XP 32 Bit and Windows 7 32 Bit who want to run BoBII with their options settings at maximum levels are likely to encounter CTD's in both Versions 2.11 and 2.12 due to a lack of available memory for application use.

These versions of BoBII (particularly 2.12) can and often do consume more memory than is available in "stock" instances of 32 bit systems. I.E., only 2 GB of RAM is made available to a single application.

Players can expand their 32 bit system's available amount of RAM for applicaitons by employing the /3GB switch by editing their boot loader (boot.ini) as follows:

----------------------------

Edit the boot loader (boot.ini) to include "/3GB" without the quotes in the boot string.

Example:

Change ....

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS XP /XXX /YYY

.... where /XXX /YYY represents other existing switches to

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS XP /XXX /YYY /3GB

----------------------------

Additional info can be found at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 87508.aspx

Important Note: Some applications do not play well with the /3GB switch. Users who run into problems with other applications should create an additional boot string in boot.ini to enable them to boot into a "gaming version" of their OS for BoBII.

Note for players running newer, high end ATI cards: Unfortunately, drivers for many if not most of these cards will not support the /3GB switch. If you run into this problem, try using an earlier version (ATI 8.61 or earlier) of ATI drivers for your card.
Alex Craig

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
ASUS Maximum IX Extreme
Intel Core 7 I7700 Extreme OC'd @ 4.8 GHz
"FrozenCPU" Custom Water Cooling
16 Gig G.Skill Trident Z Series DDR4 3200 RAM
ASUS 1080ti Video Card
EVGA SuperNOVA1200 P2 PSU

whizkid
Airman First Class

Re: Critical Memory Information for Windows 32 Bit System Us

Post by whizkid »

Thanks for the info, AC. I'm running 32-bit and would like to add this mod, but after looking through the BoB folder can't find the boot.ini you refer to. Can you direct me? Also, is there any reason to re-install my Win7 as a 64-bit OS, and what problems with existing Apps may I have?

tipsypo
Senior Airman

Post by tipsypo »

@Whizkid

I do believe these details are not regarding enabling BoB (as that was done in 2.12 exe) to see beyond the 2GB boundry that 32 bit applications/operating systems are restricted to but rather this is regarding making your operating system see above that 32 bit limit to start with anyway. 64 bit applications/operatin systems on the otherhand can see above the 2GB limit.

Boot would therefore be part the operating system not BoB. Anyway appears that boot was replaced in Windows 7 so whether these details are redundant unless upon XP I dunno. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/wind ... t-ini-file
In the RAF they say an landing's ok, when the pilot gets out and can still walk away.
But in the FAA the prospect is grim, when the landings piss-poor and the pilot can't swim.
Cracking show, I'm Alive, But I've still got to render my A25!

alexcraig
BDG

Post by alexcraig »

whizkid wrote:Thanks for the info, AC. I'm running 32-bit and would like to add this mod, but after looking through the BoB folder can't find the boot.ini you refer to. Can you direct me? Also, is there any reason to re-install my Win7 as a 64-bit OS, and what problems with existing Apps may I have?
Tipsypo is correct.

The expansion of RAM available for applications is a Windows System function not a BoB function.

It can be tricky.

Here are a couple of links which explain how to do it.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps ... ID=9240697

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff556232.aspx

If this is unfamiliary territory for you, you're going to need to find a computer literate friend to help you with it.

You'd have to reinstall Win7 if you want to run the 64 bit version. And yes, Win 7 64 bit is not able to run many old applications which were developed for 32 bit systems.
Alex Craig

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
ASUS Maximum IX Extreme
ASUS 1080ti Video Card

whizkid
Airman First Class

Post by whizkid »

Many thanks, both of you. Stopped me from totally wrecking my Win 7, I believe! I'll stay with 32-bit, as I have a 9800GT Vid card which should be OK for BoB 2 I think. I do have one question, though. I'm losing some of the Options screen off to the right, and can't access the extreme right check squares. I've changed Desktop Resolutions to everything, but no go. My native resolution is 1920 x 1200 0n a 26" screen and the Desktop looks fine. But how do I change the BoB2 Options screen to make it smaller so the squares appear?

whizkid
Airman First Class

Post by whizkid »

whizkid wrote:Many thanks, both of you. Stopped me from totally wrecking my Win 7, I believe! I'll stay with 32-bit, as I have a 9800GT Vid card which should be OK for BoB 2 I think. I do have one question, though. I'm losing some of the Options screen off to the right, and can't access the extreme right check squares. I've changed Desktop Resolutions to everything, but no go. My native resolution is 1920 x 1200 0n a 26" screen and the Desktop looks fine. But how do I change the BoB2 Options screen to make it smaller so the squares appear?
Well, it appears that I answered my own question! I read another Post about changing the Text size to 96dpi, so upon checking my desktop I found it was Medium size text, so I switched it to Small, and lo and behold it also changed the size of the Options screen so I can see the Checkboxes!.

BattlerBritain
Senior Airman

Post by BattlerBritain »

With regards to setting the /3GB switch for 32bit XP and using BoB v2.12 I found that I could only run BoB v2.12 on my XP rig if I did NOT use the switch.

For some reason BoB would crash with the switch if I tried to go to the PC area of the Config settings or tried to fly a mission.

I think the /3GB switch was forcing XP to put the graphics hardware on my rig into an area of memory that the exe couldn't get to.

I'm happy to report that I'm flying fine with v2.12 and no switch.

My XP rig is a quad-core, 4Gb, ATI 1Gb card setup using XP SP3. All DirectX stuff up to date as well.

Cheers,

B

PS Loving v2.12 :D

alexcraig
BDG

Post by alexcraig »

BattlerBritain wrote:With regards to setting the /3GB switch for 32bit XP and using BoB v2.12 I found that I could only run BoB v2.12 on my XP rig if I did NOT use the switch.

For some reason BoB would crash with the switch if I tried to go to the PC area of the Config settings or tried to fly a mission.

I think the /3GB switch was forcing XP to put the graphics hardware on my rig into an area of memory that the exe couldn't get to.

I'm happy to report that I'm flying fine with v2.12 and no switch.

My XP rig is a quad-core, 4Gb, ATI 1Gb card setup using XP SP3. All DirectX stuff up to date as well.

Cheers,

B

PS Loving v2.12 :D
As long as you dial back your settings (e.g. object density, weather), you can run OK on a 32 bit rig. However, there is no way you can run on a 32 bit rig with your setting maxed out as we are now seeing up to 2.33 GB or RAM usage in the earlier stages of the RAF Commander Campaign.

Also, larger scale IA missions such as the London mission quickly puts you over 2.0 GB if you are able to last 10 minutes or more in the mission and most 32 big rigs will choke at around 1.85 or less because of other background application demands on the system.

In some cases (particularly with ATI cards) you'll need to try older graphics driver versions to find one that will work with the switch.
Alex Craig

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
ASUS Maximum IX Extreme
ASUS 1080ti Video Card

BattlerBritain
Senior Airman

Post by BattlerBritain »

Thanks. So far things are OK and I don't think there's anything I can do about it anyway.

I've got graphics settings pretty much at the max, or at least up to my likings, and rates are fine.

Memory use seems OK. For example when flying the Sept 15th Battle of Britain Day Historical engagement BoB.exe is using 1039Mb of memory (according to Task Manager). So a bit of room for expansion.

alexcraig
BDG

Post by alexcraig »

BattlerBritain wrote:Thanks. So far things are OK and I don't think there's anything I can do about it anyway.

I've got graphics settings pretty much at the max, or at least up to my likings, and rates are fine.

Memory use seems OK. For example when flying the Sept 15th Battle of Britain Day Historical engagement BoB.exe is using 1039Mb of memory (according to Task Manager). So a bit of room for expansion.
Task Manager will not give you the max RAM in use by BoB II while in 3D. You need to use a third party utility such as Process Manager.
Alex Craig

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
ASUS Maximum IX Extreme
ASUS 1080ti Video Card

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”