Couple of questions.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Couple of questions.

Post by Caldemeyn »

Hello everyone.

Im new to this sim, so if i will say something silly, please fell free to bomb me, will learn faster that way. 8)

I have a couple of questions, regarding FM, cooling and overall performance of planes.

1.If anyone has the accusim spitfire, how would you compare its FM to BOB II spit, i did a couple of flights in both and checked some prohibited maneuvers like snap rolls for example :mrgreen: and what i can see is, the spit in BOB will first go into a vertical climb and then will start to snap, and quickly lose altitude, getting into a spin, its hard to snap horizontally when making an entry at a considerable speed, maybe its normal ?
In Accu spit, the plane will almost immidiatelly start to snap, and then will strangely start to gain altitude for some time, sometimes i could get it into an almost completely horizontal spin, where the plane would lose very little altitude through a quite a long time, where i believe, the correct behaviour should be a very quick transition into a normal vertical spin due to the lack of lift and energy.

What starts to be visible almost already in a dogfight, is a very little rudder effect when at a combat speed, at least compared to the fsx one.

2.Is the radiator shutter modelled ? its very hard to overtemp (or i would say destroy the engine), almost impossible without the boost cut-out, is it planned to be added ?

3.How to set the csu in the Bf-109 to on, all i can do is to set pitch like in a full variable propeller.

4.The Bf-109 feels a little weak compared to the spit, maybe it should be like that ?

5. What are the rpm powerbands for each plane, im not sure what are the best rpm settings for combat.

I bet, that there are some ansfers in other topics already, but i would be grateful, if someone would find the time to ansfer these.

Thanks ahead for your time.

Regards.

Buddye
BDG

Re: Couple of questions.

Post by Buddye »

Hi and welcome to BOBII and the BOBII forums and community.

Maybe our FM engineer will come alog and answer your questions. I really do not have time to fly the accusim in FSX but our FM engineer (BlueSix) has worked on BOBII FM and Accusim for Scott so he may have an opinion on the FM differences and your other questions.

Iwill send him a PM.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Thank you for your help, i appreciate it 8)

I must say, that this sim is a very good platform, even better than the Il-2 for me, it has a "specific" "old" atmosphere, i would say which i like :mrgreen: , and the planes don't bounce so much when moving the stick, quite similar feel to fsx, but more "organic" not "on rails" feel.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Edit.

3. I just learned that the Emil didn't have a csu but only full variable prop... sorry for that. :wink:

5.Spitfire 2900-3000 rpm, Bf-109 2400 rpm, ehh manual helps. :mrgreen:

If anyone can help with other questions, please feel free to post here.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

2: rad shutter is not modelled. We probably have the skills to do it, but apparently the non-compiled aircraft
models are not available any more to edit, which is also why some cockpit items can't be improved, (as I
understand it).

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Thank you PV, and what could you say about the me-109 feeling a little weak, only thing that helps, is going vertical, then gaining airspeed, and vertical again ( when no one has advantage of altitude, i do a climb until my airspeed gets to 300-320, level, accelerate, again climb until the speed speed is around 400 and then immelman), no chance of catching up to spitfire, this plane just doesn't accelerate in level flight. When in a dogfight i always try to set the rpm to 2400, in comparison no problems to catching up to the me 109 even on a hero setting, im always getting really close in a quite short amount of time.

Also, how is the boost cut-out modelled, is the 5 min restriction permanent for a flight, or will i be able to use it once more after some time without wearing the engine ?

Edit:

Now this is just silly, i could get on the me-109 tail, when it had 2000 feet altitude advantage, flying a hurri, it happened so fast that i thought, maybe i have the settings wrong, nope, everything set to max, i was fighting a Hero AI, to say the least when i changed the sides (reseting the altitudes for more challange), getting onto the hurri's tail was even harder than i thought, i was trying to exploit every possible advantage of my machine (hanging on the prop, "better" diving and climbing, boom & zoom, and i must say i started to sweat, it was so hard 8) ) + i looked how the prop is setting itself when in auto to know how to get every possible km/h out of it, and studied how the AI messer flies 8)

How can one justify this, in il-2 in a messer i was litterally "chewing" hurri's and with tactics even spitfires didn't pose much threat, maybe the machines are not scaled enough ?...

Phantom of the Ruhr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Phantom of the Ruhr »

I don't know anything about the modelling but I have read that although the ME109 was statistically capable of outflying both Spit and Hurri in certain circumstances, the pilots didn't fly it to its limits because of the wing loading.

I'm suggesting that pilot handling may have been modelled but obviously would need confirmation.
POTR
"Only birds and fools fly and even the birds don't fly at night"

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Thank you for an ansfer, you mean things like compressability? yes, i think its modelled ( checked, beautiful dive into the ground :mrgreen: ) but it won't make the plane less capable, to a degree where a hurri is better from bf-109 (not to mention the bf liked dives), every plane has that modelled. :wink:

Phantom of the Ruhr
Staff Sergeant

Sorry I didn't read your previous post carefully enough but you mentioned prop in auto.

Manual flying in Hurris is a different experience. I can't catch 109's and at medium to low level can only hope to out manoevre. From what I've read the Hurri could out turn a 109 at lower levels. I'm hoping that by using manual control you'll find the the game a lot more satisfying.
POTR

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

I used the auto feature only to see how the prop sets itself in various conditions, so i could replicate it when using manual mode, i fly almost only in manual engine managment and prop, sorry if i wrote it unintelligibly :oops: :wink: .

Phantom of the Ruhr
Staff Sergeant

I'm glad this isn't an online game. If I had to fly against you, I don't think I'd last long :)
POTR

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Im flattered by your words :mrgreen: but i think the outcome would be different, this Bf-109 just lacks juice, you would be all over me in no time. 8)

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

I think, im getting somewhat better at this, with 4000 feet of disadvantage, i can win with spit 1b or hurri1b on hero all the time

Tactics is as follows, get airspeed, let the brit chase me and go into a climb, then level, get airspeed, climb, and if the enemy starts to shoot, go into a dive, 550-600 km and vertical, the enemy most of the time is low and slow by then, BnZ him, if sometimes it won't go as planned, i often disengage with a dive, or go into a spiral climb with flaps one notch when the speed goes into low 200's, the spit will most often stall here, dive, vertical and BnZ, of course don't forget to change pitch, and if the situation requires it, use WEP,

I can't get really close to the spit (almost always shoot quick snapshots, when the spit goes through my sights), if it is undamaged, contrary to the bf-109, when in a spit, it is a matter of time until i am very close, and can't be shaken.

It is much easier to fly british planes and win fights.

Of course, if someone has better ideas, please post them, would love to know more. 8)

Question, are the leading edge slats work modelled like it should, i never could make them pop out asymetrically.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Caldemeyn wrote:
Question, are the leading edge slats work modelled like it should, i never could make them pop out asymetrically.
Yes, the 109 slats are modelled per our understanding and the specs.

BlueSix did the engineering and analysis and I did the programming.

You might want to search for threads by "Stalkervision" look up a very good 109 pilot who still shows up from time to time.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Thanks, i will read them immediately. 8)

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”