That distinctive Merlin "pop, pop, pop" sound

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

That distinctive Merlin "pop, pop, pop" sound

Post by Adam_NZ »

Can anyone reproduce that distinctive Merlin backfire "pop" sound when throttling back - particularly on landing?

Maybe it's there but my sound balance isn't set right.
--
Image--Image

MTFDarkEagle
Technical Sergeant

Re: That distinctive Merlin "pop, pop, pop" sound

Post by MTFDarkEagle »

I get that sound occasionally..
Lukas
ImageImage

q3ark
Senior Airman

Post by q3ark »

I've heard it more often in the MkII, usually with the throttle right back at idle as i'm landing.
ImageImage

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Just move the throttle quickly. All you need to do ;)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Erlk0enig
A2A Mechanic

Post by Erlk0enig »

Hi,

I have these sounds sometimes, but they seem to be much quieter than in scotts videos (October update & prop video). My Sound FX are switched to "high". Is there something wrong with my sound settings? Engine sounds in FSX are just a littel above half, all other are set to half.

Thanks in advance & Regards
Best Regards,
Ralf

R9 7900 X, 64 GB DDR5, RTX4090, HP Reverb G2

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

CodyValkyrie wrote:Just move the throttle quickly. All you need to do ;)
Thanks, maestro, I'll give it a whirl. I may need to tweak the soulnd balance a bit.

BTW - while I have your attention (!!) - is Accusim sound affected by the legacy FSX sliders?
--
Image--Image

pj_3
Senior Airman

Post by pj_3 »

The Merlin doesn't like backfires......

[email protected] on EK water, ASUS P8P67 B3 DL; EVGA GTX780; 8 gig Corsair Vengeance C8@1600; Win 7-64; TH2G w/3x19" VA926; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80 throttle quadrant; TrackIR5: DX10 only.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Adam_NZ wrote: Thanks, maestro, I'll give it a whirl. I may need to tweak the soulnd balance a bit.

BTW - while I have your attention (!!) - is Accusim sound affected by the legacy FSX sliders?
For certain sounds yes, the sliders will effect it. There is an additional sound volume for Accu-Sim as well, located on the same pop-up menu as the Cold Start button, etc.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

CodyValkyrie wrote:
Adam_NZ wrote: Thanks, maestro, I'll give it a whirl. I may need to tweak the soulnd balance a bit.

For certain sounds yes, the sliders will effect it. There is an additional sound volume for Accu-Sim as well, located on the same pop-up menu as the Cold Start button, etc.
OK ... thanks for all your help, folks, but it appears I may have a problem somewhere. I'll trawl the forums to see what I can find regarding "backfire" sound.

In outside view, I can see the fx of flashes coming from the exhaust (very nice detail!). However - I've tried every combination of sound setting: Accu-Sim overall volume, Accu-Sim sound quality, FSX sliders and Win7 settings and I can't hear that sound.

What's the actual .wav file concerned? I'll see if it plays directly in Windows - or even whether it's there at all (possible install stuff up).
--
Image--Image

Andysim
Senior Airman

Post by Andysim »

I get lots of Pops if I let the engine idle till it stalls then restart, along with tons of blue smoke and flashes from the engine =)

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Adam_NZ,

Make sure your EFFECTS settings are set to HIGH (default) in your CONTROLS (SHIFT-3) pop-up panel to hear engine pops.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Scott - A2A wrote:Adam_NZ,
Make sure your EFFECTS settings are set to HIGH (default) in your CONTROLS (SHIFT-3) pop-up panel to hear engine pops.
Hi Scott - thanks for that, but I already tried that (on and off) - along with various FSX slider settings and Win7 sound setup parameters.

I can see the exhaust blow-back animation happening and hear a bit of a stutter (ie. the engine misses a beat) but no popping sound whatsoever.

My current theory (hahaha) is that I have some FSX sound add-ons that may be using up sound channels/slots ... or whatever ... so I'll try disabling them. Either that or it's some kind of a memory problem. I sometimes get outside sound totally out of synch with what the engine is currently doing (sounds OK in the cockpit).

I seem to get other in-cockpit sounds, flaps hiss ... but the gear-up sound seems quiet. I wonder if I'm missing any other sound(s)?
--
Image--Image

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

The popping sound mostly happens when pulling back on the throttle. It is caused by the fuel delivery valve lagging behind your throttle.

It's also not loud, but rather blended into the engine.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Scott - A2A wrote:The popping sound mostly happens when pulling back on the throttle. It is caused by the fuel delivery valve lagging behind your throttle.

It's also not loud, but rather blended into the engine.

Scott.
Aaahh ... *in *that* case, I may be hearing them after all! What I hear is more of a cough and splutter. I'm still wondering whether the fx is actually playing - or I'm just hearing the "gap", if you see what I mean.

I've been behind a real Spitfire when this happens and it really is quite loud. Similarly, I've seen the BBMF Lancaster landing many a time and you can hear those 4 Merlins popping away from a mile away! :wink:

I'll try and record a video with what I hear. If anyone already has a video of what *they* hear, I'd be interested to compare.

Watch this space!
--
Image--Image

Erlk0enig
A2A Mechanic

Post by Erlk0enig »

Adam, good idea! Looking forward to your video. Then I can compare to my own experience, because I hear these sounds also rather quiet.

I think the Pops and sputters were louder in Scotts development videos, than they are on my system (compared it 1:1 with closed cockpit, like in the video). Perhaps that has changed since October for the final product, I do not know.

I also changed every loudness properties I could get, but no change for the Pops in Cockpit sound. If you turn the Accu-sound fx way down, you will hear the Pops in the outside much louder than the engine, but not in cockpit.
Best Regards,
Ralf

R9 7900 X, 64 GB DDR5, RTX4090, HP Reverb G2

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”