Battery master - where do I find it?

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
ARM505
Airman

Battery master - where do I find it?

Post by ARM505 »

Hi all,

A quick and perhaps stupid question - where is the battery master switch, or some kind of equivalent? I only have the manuals at the moment, not the actual aircraft, so perhaps it's obvious in the actual cockpit. I can't see it labelled in the manual, or anywhere in the screenshots though.

This seems like it blows all other add-ons of its kind out the water, just from reading the manual so far.

Thanks.

allonan2361
Airman First Class

Re: Battery master - where do I find it?

Post by allonan2361 »

I dont think there is a Battery master switch, there is the Generator switch in the upper starboard side and on the Mk1 a starter mag switch on the lowersame side

Erlk0enig
A2A Mechanic

Post by Erlk0enig »

allonan2361, you are right. There is no battery switch indeed, that means, all electrical equipment should be switched off after engine shutdown. Especially the gear indicator light is likely to be overlooked (it is located on the power quadrant on the right side of the throttle lever).
Best Regards,
Ralf

R9 7900 X, 64 GB DDR5, RTX4090, HP Reverb G2

allonan2361
Airman First Class

Post by allonan2361 »

The gear light is the one that gave me the most trouble took me a good ten minutes to figure out that I had to click it.......spent two minutes moving my throttle back and forth cause thats how I turned it on. :oops:

Puma257
Airman

Post by Puma257 »

On entering the pit and selecting "cold start" the voltmeter still reads 12.2 volts. Checked all switches off.
(also checked FSUIPC "battry life = 0")
What's electrically going on?

Puma

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Isn't the FSUIPC figure a "O" for extended battery life OFF??
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Puma257
Airman

Post by Puma257 »

Killratio wrote:Isn't the FSUIPC figure a "O" for extended battery life OFF??
Uhh......yes you are right :oops: Makes no difference what setting I choose, however...(so reading is continously 12.2 volts.) BTW it certainly is not a biggie; just wondering what's going on.

regards

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

allonan2361 wrote:spent two minutes moving my throttle back and forth cause thats how I turned it on. :oops:
Hehe, yeah. If you look closely there actually is a piece of metal attached to the throttle that pushes the small switch forward. It's awesome!
Happy Landings
- Patrick

pj_3
Senior Airman

Post by pj_3 »

..just a historical tidbit... I'm not sure what it's called nowadays - maybe it is actually "Battery Master", but in the RAF in the '50's - '60's it was called the "ground-flight" switch, so as the aircrew shut down, pulled, pushed, closed or whatever - the last thing that was on the checklist was "Ground-flight to ground". Most every aircraft which had a battery had one.

[email protected] on EK water, ASUS P8P67 B3 DL; EVGA GTX780; 8 gig Corsair Vengeance C8@1600; Win 7-64; TH2G w/3x19" VA926; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80 throttle quadrant; TrackIR5: DX10 only.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Yes,

Introduced on the Mk V from memory. I can confirm the Mk I and II had a "live" system, no isolate switch for the Accumulator.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Puma257
Airman

Post by Puma257 »

Killratio wrote:Yes,

Introduced on the Mk V from memory. I can confirm the Mk I and II had a "live" system, no isolate switch for the Accumulator.

Darryl
So do I understand that the "battery master switch" was outside of the cockpit and flipped by the groundcrew?
No battery, only acc??

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

I was wondering this too... and I'm still a little confused. When I've completely shut down and exited the aircraft, the volts should still be reading 12.2?

Thanks,

Joe
Joe

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

The voltmeter is hot-wired to the battery. There's no other indication than the actual battery voltage - forever :lol: As already mentioned there is no Master Switch. EVERYTHING is directly wired to the battery - although most is at least fused.

Oskar

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Ok, thanks Oskar!!! :)

Joe
Joe

killerwatt
BDG

Post by killerwatt »

I think it was done this way because the drain on the accumulator from the battery was negligble and these accumulators were changed on a very regular basis, It also provided groundcrew with a quick way to check the accumulators health without having to switch on systems. This is pure guess work on my part so I stand to be corrected :D
"He's talking about our mess bills - Sqn Ldr Brian Lane 19(F)Sqn RAF (Having heard Churchill's 'Never in the field' speech)"

Radeon HD 4870 Vapor-X 2GB, Asus P6T, Intel Core i7-920, 3GB DDR3 Memory 1600MHz Windows XP Home Edition.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”