The BoB2 Day by Day Campaign.

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
Itkovian
Staff Sergeant

The BoB2 Day by Day Campaign.

Post by Itkovian »

The BoB2 Day by Day Campaign is under way at the SimHQ Forums!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/f ... Day_b.html

If you wish to join us, then read the topics beneath the banner and register your pilot/squadron.

If not, then simply kick back and enjoy the AAR threads. :)

Itkovian
Last edited by Itkovian on 19 Jul 2010, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Re: The BoB2 Day by Day Campaign.

Post by philip.ed »

I want to play it in this way, but I can't promise I'll be supplying daily reviews on the action :D Also, I'll miss two weeks whenever it is I go on holiday, so will have a fair amount o catch up on :P

Itkovian
Staff Sergeant

Post by Itkovian »

That's allright, as I wrote, it's all for fun. :)

And the updates wouldn't have to be anything special either.. exactly how those updates are is up to the individual participants (as a straight mission report, report on the situation in general, a pilot's journal, some words from the player, whatever).

Itkovian

cgjimeneza
Senior Airman

Post by cgjimeneza »

why not get a volunteer list and try to have people playing first populating sector 11 squadrons, then sector 12 ones.

so lets say we say we will be playing with no.1 sq, then next volunter can take other, say 303... that way all the sq will be represented.

just an idea...
Carlos Jimenez

Itkovian
Staff Sergeant

Post by Itkovian »

That'd be pretty cool, but it would require everyone to play as SPC. That might be too limiting (I know some dislike the SPC, of course).

But there's time, if it turns out we have several SPC campaigns going, then we can try to coordinate them. :)

Itkovian

Helmut_AUT
Senior Airman

Post by Helmut_AUT »

I'll take an SPC Hurricane Squadron if others want to take other squadrons. In fact I'll let you guys assign me one... that way I might just get to play something I wouldn't have picked myself. I always prefered No1 and No501 on the coastal bases, but anything suits me. And I'll play DiD, so if I die early trough my own mistake (and not some AI formation bug) I have the summer off ;)

Sounds like a great idea, although of course no one here will be able to fly daily, but it will in any case give a realistic feeling of time and losses per day to "live" trough the summer like that. Also love the idea of spreading this to simHQ. In fact if this gathers momentum, I can ask Doug, the site owner (and friend of mine) if he wouldn't mind making this a frontpage news item for the duration of the campaign, kind of a "sponsored official event". Maybe simHQers will join in too, and we end up with 30, 40 people flying... that would be something!

Did you put the idea over there yet?

cgjimeneza
Senior Airman

Post by cgjimeneza »

SPC....

that would be a plus........ the SPC does not send you up each and every day.... so we woulnd have to play all days.... we patrol, report and generate the next encounter then we SAVE and know when to get back up, or am I wrong (I usually go instant action)
Carlos Jimenez

Itkovian
Staff Sergeant

Post by Itkovian »

Helmut_AUT wrote:I'll take an SPC Hurricane Squadron if others want to take other squadrons. In fact I'll let you guys assign me one... that way I might just get to play something I wouldn't have picked myself. I always prefered No1 and No501 on the coastal bases, but anything suits me. And I'll play DiD, so if I die early trough my own mistake (and not some AI formation bug) I have the summer off ;)

Sounds like a great idea, although of course no one here will be able to fly daily, but it will in any case give a realistic feeling of time and losses per day to "live" trough the summer like that. Also love the idea of spreading this to simHQ. In fact if this gathers momentum, I can ask Doug, the site owner (and friend of mine) if he wouldn't mind making this a frontpage news item for the duration of the campaign, kind of a "sponsored official event". Maybe simHQers will join in too, and we end up with 30, 40 people flying... that would be something!

Did you put the idea over there yet?
No I haven't, my thinking was to recruit here first, see if there's enough interest in it, and once we have a goodly amount of players then I'd contact simHQ and see if they wouldn't mind us spamming their AAR board (again, my idea is to make a post a day, where participants can post their reports/journal entries/whatever).

Once that's done and approved, then I'd probably make some official post(s) announcing the project and its start date. We can maybe even do something before July 10th, like posts about training (I know I intend to do some practice flying beforehand, especially my landings *grin*).

Perhaps for that "permission" for the SimHQ AAR board I could prevail on you to contact the owner then, and certainly extra publicity couldn't hurt. As for SimHQers joining us, are there any BoB2 players over there that aren't already on these forums?

Anyway, another plan of mine is to make a mailing list (or a yahoo/google group) for the participants, so we can get organized without spamming the forums and work out the details. Once I have a few more participants I'll go around putting that together.

Thank you.

Itkovian

Itkovian
Staff Sergeant

Post by Itkovian »

cgjimeneza wrote:SPC....

that would be a plus........ the SPC does not send you up each and every day.... so we woulnd have to play all days.... we patrol, report and generate the next encounter then we SAVE and know when to get back up, or am I wrong (I usually go instant action)
Aye, I do think the SPC would be ideal for this, but again it is best left to the individual participants (I know some dislike SPC, after all, and SPC does not work very well for LW anyway). Demonstrating the many varied ways one can play the campaign is not a bad thing, after all. :)

For myself, I am planning to start every "sim day" in the morning. So whenever I get the time to do it during a given day (usually in the evenings for me, afternoons on week-ends), I'd start in the morning and accelerate through the day. I would fly any missions assigned to my squadron (usually 1 or 2), and keep going until the end-of-day summary. And then I'd just save the campaign, and the following day pick it up from there.

And if that given day my squadron isn't assigned any missions, then I'd be done in 10 minutes or so. :)

I personally find that this is a better way to do it than just accelerating ahead to the next mission and then waiting for that RL day to come before flying it, if only because it recreates the "day by day" feel better. I'll probably even try and make reports on those days, too, though appropriately short ones. :)

Thank you.

Itkovian

Itkovian
Staff Sergeant

Post by Itkovian »

Helmut_AUT wrote:I'll take an SPC Hurricane Squadron if others want to take other squadrons. In fact I'll let you guys assign me one... that way I might just get to play something I wouldn't have picked myself. I always prefered No1 and No501 on the coastal bases, but anything suits me. And I'll play DiD, so if I die early trough my own mistake (and not some AI formation bug) I have the summer off ;)
Well, I for one am planning on playing an SPC as Sqn Ldr of 610 Squadron, out of Biggin Hill. My last SPC was in Hurricanes, and I think I'd like to pretend I'm filthy rich. :)

As for what the other SPC players fly, we can certain coordinate once we have more of them. I know I personally enjoyed flying in the 151 (my big journal was flown entirely as OC of 151), which dumped me at Manston early on (or maybe that's where it starts? I don't recall I'm afriad). That made for a very interesting campaign, especially since I had no clue where I would end up once Manston got obliterated... turns out we were assigned to Martlesham, which was a beautiful aerodrome and a pleasure to call home.

Anyway, as per my previous post, I will come up with some means for us to coordinate in "private" once there are enough participants, so we don't clog up the forums.

Thank you.

Itkovian

Helmut_AUT
Senior Airman

Post by Helmut_AUT »

Aye, all understood and I'm aboard. Now that you mention it, my second choice of Hurri squadron was in fact the 151. 1st and 151st are nice frontline Hurri Squads as far as I remember, but it could be fun to have assigned something different for once.

I wonder (and I'm NOT saying this to rush anyone and NOT trying to make any spill the beans, just curious) if the BDG plans to have 2.11 ready before the date. It would be the most awesome experience ever with all the new ground detail, flying real-Day BoB 60 years after. Don't think it could get better than that.

Let me know when I should contact Doug at simHQ for making arrangements. Certainly the AAR forum will be easy to use, but maybe we can even get a sticky somewhere or another way of presenting the reports in a more coherent way.

Itkovian
Staff Sergeant

Post by Itkovian »

Helmut_AUT wrote: I wonder (and I'm NOT saying this to rush anyone and NOT trying to make any spill the beans, just curious) if the BDG plans to have 2.11 ready before the date. It would be the most awesome experience ever with all the new ground detail, flying real-Day BoB 60 years after. Don't think it could get better than that.

Let me know when I should contact Doug at simHQ for making arrangements. Certainly the AAR forum will be easy to use, but maybe we can even get a sticky somewhere or another way of presenting the reports in a more coherent way.
I have to admit, the 2.11 release is something of a worry. You see, when a new patch comes out you cannot really continue ongoing campaign, but must start over. So for us to use 2.11 it would have to come out before July 10, or else we couldn't use it (except maybe for those playing DiD who already died, and want to start an eagle day campaign, if 2.11 comes out before eagle day).

But anyway, I will contact you, and I agree with the simHQ possibilities. :)

Itkovian

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

I might go for 85 Hurricane squadron :D

Deathwing
Staff Sergeant

Post by Deathwing »

I'd like to fly a SPC starting from Tangmere (Hurris, 43 or 601?).
( Simply for the reason that I have some friends who live virtually on the doorstep and I shall be visiting both them and the museum at Tangmere between now and July 10th. Well that and the fact that 2.10 Chichester is rather nice! :) )
AMD PII X4 955 3.2GHz BE, 8G DDR2, ATI 4890, Vista64, 24" Iiyama 1920x1080, MS FF SW2.

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

Deathwing wrote:I'd like to fly a SPC starting from Tangmere (Hurris, 43 or 601?).
( Simply for the reason that I have some friends who live virtually on the doorstep and I shall be visiting both them and the museum at Tangmere between now and July 10th. Well that and the fact that 2.10 Chichester is rather nice! :) )
The last time I went to Tangmere, they were celebrating their (I think) 30000th visitor or something like that, and I was one off from 'winning'! :shock: It was sad, as one of the veterans present admitted, because I had such interest for the history of the museum, but the 300000th visitors couldn't give a monkey's about it. Very sad. I was annoyed to miss out on a guided tour by the veterans as well. ;)

Anyway, sorry for spamming this topic 8)

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”