Version Confusion- WoP2 WW2 Fighters

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
new reply
mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Version Confusion- WoP2 WW2 Fighters

Post by mountainhighair »

I'm a bit confused about where my boxed set versions fit in with the history of WoP aircraft. It would be helpful to have a listing of all releases, updates, solo sales, boxed sets, special editions, etc; listed in chonological order of release, and matched to the correct patches and upgrades available. This is important enough that I believe a single static page needs to be set up for customers as a permanent reference. And there must be only one sorce (page) of this information so that their is no confusion! It appears that numerous versions have been released for FS2004, FSX and CFS3, and when searching for downloads and patches I am confused about whether or not said patches are intended for the particluar models I have.

I bring this up because I have downloaded patches and paint kits and none of them are for the particular models that I have purchased. My box sets are labelled "Wings of Power II, WWII Fighters Special Edition (addon for FS2004 & FSX); and the other box set is labelled "Aircraft Powerpack, for FS2004 & FSX. I am using them in FSX only.

I downloaded a patch for the P-51, but that turned out to be for FS2004 only.
I have downloaded paint kits for both the P-51 and B-17 but the included files do not match the texture files used in the boxed set that I purchased. The good news is that what I purchased seems to be the most advanced release prior to WoP3. My texture files are higher resolution than the files in the paint kits, and I have no tail-wheel problems or other issues discussed here.

Rather than answer my questions directly, I think it would be a good idea to set up a page that keeps a running tab on past releases, patches and add-ons; and update this page as A2A continues to flood the market with the most incredible aircraft I have ever seen! (Do you like my flattery?)

JOHN

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Version Confusion- WoP2 WW2 Fighters

Post by Skycat »

I agree with you that the patching/updating is more complicated than it should be. For one thing, there should be one centralized place where all of the patches are listed for all the products. Unfortunately the standard practice has been to sticky a notice for a new update in the appropriate forum that provides a link to a download, etc., and later that thread simply disappears.

The WWII Fighters Special Edition CD was released at the birth of FSX and prior to the initiation of the SOLO line. All of the aircraft on the CD are (more or less) FS9 models that were also made compatible with the original build of FSX. Of the five aircraft on the WWII Fighters CD, the Mustang and Thunderbolt were rehashes from the original Wings of Power line for FS9 while the Spitfire, Bf 109 and A6M were completely new and unavailable in any other form. A short time later, the SOLO line was devised to allow people to buy only the "Wings of Power II: WWII Fighters" they wished to own, instead of all five on CD-ROM.

In other words, the aircraft on the WWII Fighters CD are the same as the SOLO downloads.

As I recall, there was at least one update patch shortly after the CD was released that addressed bugs but also added additional variations for the Bf 109. Meanwhile, Microsoft was also releasing service packs for FSX that usually had negative effects on third party aircraft; I think A2A decided to sit on the sidelines for a while until FSX was stabilized. Once it was, A2A began updating the WWII Fighters models for FSX. Four of the five aircraft now have FSX patches: the Spitfire and 109 were updated in tandem about two years ago; the Wings of Power 2 Thunderbolt was updated not long before the WoP3 w/ Accusim release; the P-51D was updated a few months ago.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

The 1.2 update patch for the WWII Fighters CD -- start with this; I don't know if it is needed but it won't hurt to install. ;)
WoP2 Spitfire update for FSX
WoP2 Messerschmitt 109 update for FSX
WoP2 Thunderbolt update for FSX
WoP2 Mustang update for FSX
Latest WoP2 Mustang paint kit

It has been stated here in the forums that the current A6M can't be recompiled as FSX native so there will not be an FSX patch for it.

I hope this helps. :)
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Now on to Aircraft Power Pack...

The Flight Simulator side of the package is largely a re-release of Heavy Bombers and Jets, A2A Simulation's first boxed product for Microsoft Flight Simulator. The original version of HB&J was for FS9 only; the FSX install option on APP was provided as a convenience but the models aren't FSX native. Unfortunately there are some glitches since Microsoft updated FSX to SP2/Acceleration. On the positive side, the APP pack includes all of HB&J's bonus skins and updates, plus it was further improved beyond the original version.

You may have downloaded the B-17G paintkit for the later Wings of Power 2: B-17G model, which was a complete rebuild and is of much higher resolution and detail than the first B-17 product for FS9. See this forum topic regarding the original version's paint kit. You might want to look around at sites that specialize in hosting repaints and freeware models for FS.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Post by mountainhighair »

Thank you Skycat, that's a huge help!

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”