Bug in Shockwave-FS2004-update-installation

Turn ON the LIGHTS for Microsoft FS9 / FSX with this all-new version of a great package
Glocke
Airman

Bug in Shockwave-FS2004-update-installation

Post by Glocke »

I must admit that I am rather annoyed in the meantime :evil: . I looked and posted in other forums as well and I claim now that the

gaugeXX=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_gear, 1,1,1,1 //shockwave light

doesn’t work in Flight Simulator 2004 after installing the update 1.1.

Are there any Shockwave update 1.1 customers using FS2004/FS9 out there, who can confirm that the landing lights of the default Learjet and Beech King Air 350 attached to the UC legs go out automatically when the UC is raised? They don’t even show in the planes using this gauge, they only flicker and go off automatically. There is definitely a gauge conflict on FS2004-systems and I would really appreciate, if the Shockwave-people would admit that and fix the bug. The bug has been confirmed by FS2004-customers in the German FS-forum and AVSIM-forum.

I don’t want alternative solutions with taxi lights, I want the light_gear-gauge to work properly.

Now then, prove me I’m wrong!
Glocke

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Bug in Shockwave-FS2004-update-installation

Post by Scott - A2A »

Glocke,

On our FS9 test system with 3D lights plus the patch, this is what I have for the King Air. This light automatically turns off when the gear is raised.

Looking at the Lear45, if you want the fuse lights to stay on when you retract the gear, this is now supported with the existing patch with the new gauges. I tested this and it works. To make this so on the Lear45, do the following:

In the PANEL.CFG, add a line so you have both LANDING and TAXI lights:
gauge15=shockwave_lights!SW Lights, 1,1,1,1 //shockwave light
gauge16=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_taxi_gear, 1,1,1,1 //shockwave light

The above means you have LANDING lights in the wings and TAXI lights on the gear that will automatically turn off when the gear is raised.

In the AIRCRAFT.CFG, change lights 10 and 11 to TAXI lights (#5 assigns LANDING lights and #6 assigns TAXI lights):
light.8 = 5, -29.7, -1.3, -1.71, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_short // Shockwave light
light.9 = 5, -29.7, 1.3, -1.71, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_short // Shockwave light
light.10 = 6, -35.0, -4.45, -2.5, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow // Shockwave light
light.11 = 6, -35.0, 4.45, -2.5, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow // Shockwave light

The 2 lights on the gear were on before this screenshot and automatically turned off when I raised the gear:

I hope this helps,
Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Glocke
Airman

Post by Glocke »

Scott,

You shouldn't neglect that some FS9-Shockwave-customers have a problem with the airplanes running on the

gaugeXX=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_gear, 1,1,1,1 //shockwave light

I therefore repeat my call to other FS9-members of this forum to post their experience with Learjet and King Air 350. I think that at least those being annoyed by the bug should be taken seriously by the Shockwave team in explaining what could be the reasons for these flickering, extinguishing landing lights and if there might be any cure by reprogramming this gauge or adjusting FS-parameters.

It's not only for having the default planes functioning properly, it's also not possible to configure addon planes with this gauge. It can't be used at all!

EDIT: A sudden inspiration, I am running Shockwave Lights Redux for FS9 on Windows XP. Does that make a difference?

Best
Glocke

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Glocke,

Just to verify I ran this test in reverse, using the SW Lights_gear instead of the SW Lights_taxi to turn the lights off when the gear is raised. Here is what I did:

In the PANEL.CFG:
I swapped this:
gauge15=shockwave_lights!SW Lights, 1,1,1,1 //shockwave light
gauge16=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_taxi_gear, 1,1,1,1 //shockwave light

with this:
gauge15=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_gear, 1,1,1,1 //shockwave light
gauge16=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_taxi, 1,1,1,1 //shockwave light

This says turn LANDING lights off when gear is raised, instead of TAXI lights.

In the AIRCRAFT.CFG:
I changed this:
light.8 = 5, …
light.9 = 5, …
light.10 = 6, …
light.11 = 6, …

To this:
light.8 = 6, …
light.9 = 6, …
light.10 = 5, …
light.11 = 5, …

This says make the lights on the gear LANDING lights.

We created these gauges to give freedom to configure these lights for many different configurations out there.
With these changes, this is what I get in game:
Taking off:

Gear up:

BTW, XP is fine for FS9. I hope this helps,
Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Glocke
Airman

Post by Glocke »

Okay Scott,

I appreciate that you are trying to help, but it's not the configuration, it's the gauge

shockwave_lights!SW Lights_gear, 1,1,1,1 //shockwave light

which doesn't work in FS9!

I changed the configuration as indicated above. Concerning the switches/keys landing lights and taxi lights are mixed up. Now the taxi lights don't show the Shockwave effect, they only flicker, if I press the landing lights-keys.

Scott, please just answer this one question: What may be the reasons for this flickering, not lightening up effect of the lights_gear gauge and may there be a cure by reprogramming it?

Best
Glocke

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Glocke,

The gauge does work as I demonstrated in the test above - the landing lights go off when the gear is rasied in FS9.

The only reason I can think of a light flickering off on your system is if you have installed the 'don't show my lights in the day' and you are turning them on in the day.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Glocke
Airman

Post by Glocke »

It's hard to accept not to be taken seriously. But I guess it's no use carrying on this discussion.

For my system is true that the Lights_gear-gauge doesn't show the same effects as on Scott's FS9-system. When I switch the landing lights on the panel or with the keys they show for a blink and then shut down automatically. When I keep pressing the landing lights keys the lights flicker, but won't stay on.

Remains, that someone else confirms this phenomenon.

Goodbye
Glocke

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Glocke wrote:It's hard to accept not to be taken seriously. But I guess it's no use carrying on this discussion.
We are trying to help you indeed. Scott, the president has spent a while in FSX trying to track this issue down for you. Since everyone else seems to have little to no issue regarding this, we are attempting to figure it out.

I'm curious as to what video card you have, along with other system specs.

There is light at the end of the tunnel friend, just bear with us as we try to work it all out. If I had more technical know how on this particular product I would have loved to provide you with more support options.

Regards,
-Cody
ImageImage
ImageImage

Saxonian
Airman Basic

Post by Saxonian »

Hallo Scott,

at first thank You for the "Shockwave Lights". This addon makes the FS planes more real and therefore I try to use them in all my planes.

But I have the same problem described by GLOCKE.

The landing lights and the button in the panel of the default Learjet only flicker if I try to turn on the switch.
I have tested your changes in the panel.cfg and aircraft.cfg without success.

Is there another way to solve my problem?

My system:
AMD 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+/ 2.21 GHz
2 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 8500GT
Windows XP SP3

With best regards

Lutz

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Saxonian,

I see you just registered and this is your first post - welcome to the A2A forums.

It is interesting that both you and Glocke are from Germany, so maybe there is some odd bug cropping up on German Windows. Can you both PM me your order numbers - I can then cross check dates / installers to verify this is not an installer issue. We'll figure out what is going on - everything is pretty straight forward.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Dave_M
Airman Basic

Post by Dave_M »

Hi,

I had this problem as well after running the update utility. I compared the XML gauges for turning the lights off during the day with the gauge for showing the lights in daytime that were installed and noticed that in SW Lights_gear.xml there was a difference.

a line in the installed gauge read

Code: Select all

(A:GEAR LEFT POSITION, percent) 100 != 
I changed this to:

Code: Select all

(A:GEAR LEFT POSITION, percent) near 100 != 
and the lights now stay on during the day.

This may account for the problem your seeing, although I wouldn't mess with the gauges if your unsure.

Regards

Dave

wabash10
Airman

Post by wabash10 »

I know that with some of the add-on aircraft in fs9 I get the same problem, I figure that it is not worth even messing with aircraft configs just for lights as it only causes problems, i just wish someone could make some good setups for the level d 767, PMDG 747 and the PSS 777 and 757 all FS9 these are the only ones I really care about, but there are so many flaws, like the nose light flashing when you raise the gear, instead of turning off. The timing of the wing lights, the wingflex factor, the list goes on and on, But I really wish that these aircraft could have the 3d lights on them without having these problems. Also on one of the 747 setups, the landing lights on one wing have a cone of light, while the other wing doesn't. It is just a big pain.

thanks
Anthony

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Dave,

That is a VERY good observation and may, in fact, be the issue on some systems. GLOCKE - try changing that line DAVE_M did.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Glocke
Airman

Post by Glocke »

Sorry, I don't know how to edit XML-files or CAB-archives. And isn't it forbidden to manipulate payware-files? I therefore ask Scott to send me a legal revision of the Shockwave_Lights.cab to my email-address.

Dave, do the lights go out now, when the gears are pulled in on Learjet and King Air or do they remain in midair? How about the lights on the other default planes (e.g. Baron 58), do they function properly after this change?

I would appreciate having this approved by Shockwave.

Glocke

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I cannot reproduce this bug on any of our test machines, but we have Dave confirming on his end this worked. If we are to make an official update, I'd like to have this confirmed across the board. Saxonian, can you PM me your contact info as well since you are also experiencing this issue?

Thank you,
Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “A2A Simulations 3D LIGHTS REDUX”