Hydraulic pressure

Wings of POWER Heavy Bombers and Jets for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004
new reply
EMatheson
Airman

Hydraulic pressure

Post by EMatheson »

I have been attempting to fly my new WoP aircraft "by the book" since I bought the aircraft Powerpack on Saturday... here it is just Wednesday and I don't have any hair left!
Every time I attempt to fly the B-17s or the B-29, however scrupulously close to "by the book" I fly, I loose hydraulic pressure just after lift-off, preventing me from raising the gear...
I have a very hard time believing that the hydraulic systems on these bombers were so very delicate!
Further, I have read all the documentation contained in my copy of the Powerpack without finding anything mentioned about hydraulic pressure!
I am at my wits end... please help!!!!

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

You haven't thrown the hyd pump switch by chance have you?

In all my hours of flying these birds ... both the FS9 version as well as FSX I have never experienced a situation as the one you describe.

That's the best I can offer.

Good Luck Keep us posted!
Snuffy

EMatheson
Airman

Post by EMatheson »

with a little bit closer observing, the problem seems even more complex than before! Left-side Oil Pressure gauges are also affected, as is the Fuel Quantity gauge... when the Hydraulic Pressure tanks, the Fuel Quantity gauge reads empty, and Oil Pressure gauges for engines 1 and 3 report 0* C... all of this erroneously, I am sure, since the engines all continue running just as before!

I am quite sure the Hydraulic Pump On/Off condition isn't an issue... there are no keybindings availble for that function in FS, and the gauges in WoP seem to be just bitmaps since I cannot toggle that function if I try!

DHC120
Airman First Class

Re: Hydraulic pressure

Post by DHC120 »

EMatheson wrote:I have been attempting to fly my new WoP aircraft "by the book" since I bought the aircraft Powerpack on Saturday... here it is just Wednesday and I don't have any hair left!
Every time I attempt to fly the B-17s or the B-29, however scrupulously close to "by the book" I fly, I loose hydraulic pressure just after lift-off, preventing me from raising the gear...
I have a very hard time believing that the hydraulic systems on these bombers were so very delicate!
Further, I have read all the documentation contained in my copy of the Powerpack without finding anything mentioned about hydraulic pressure!
I am at my wits end... please help!!!!
E. Matheson;
I read your post back in May, having never experienced your problem, I moved on..
Recently, I was starting the WOP B-17G "By The Book" (and the "book" being a USAAF Issued Pilots Instruction Manual).. One of the "steps" is to turn off the Generators before take-off and insure they are off during Run-Up..
As I was taxiing out to the runway, I noticed my Hydraulic Pressure Warning Light on and Hyd pressure was zero.. Thinking this was an "FS9" issue :shock: , I hit "Esc" and restarted the flight.. same place, same drill.. No Hyd Pressure :( .. I abandoned the "Dark & Cold" start and changed to a "running at the beginning of the runway" start, instead as I wanted to practice some "go around and land after an engine failure" drills, so on Climb-Out, I shut off the fuel & boost switches to #3, feathered the engine and turned-off the #3 Mag.. not a few seconds later I watched the needle of the Hydraulic Pressure Gauge slowly drop to zero.. The "Light Bulb" went on :idea: !! The #3 Engine either powers the Hyd pump, or the #3 Electrical System powers the Hyd Pump.. but in either case, the #3 Generator MUST be on to have Hydraulic Pressure in the B-17G.. Don't know if this is true or not with the B-29.. But it might be something to look into on your next B-17 flight..
Hope this helps.
Charles

EMatheson
Airman

Post by EMatheson »

yep... that did the trick...
I didn't think of doing that way before because, when I first had the problem, I found the the closer I stuck to published speeds/throttle settings/mixture settings/etc., the longer I had until the hydraulic pressure failed... but even with a perfect flight otherwise, the hydraulic pressure ALWAYS failed during gear-retraction, sometimes before... so, barking up the wrong tree, I approached it from that angle and concluded after days of testing all possible permutations of flight that was a bug...
so thanks for the help... vastly appreciated!!! :D

DHC120
Airman First Class

Re:

Post by DHC120 »

EMatheson wrote:
... but even with a perfect flight otherwise, the hydraulic pressure ALWAYS failed during gear-retraction, sometimes before...
EMatheson;
Again, a "way late" reply.. (I guess my brain works really slow)..
Even if you have a hydraulic failure, the B-17's Landing Gear should work.. the gear was raised/lowered by an electric motor driven "fine thread" screw.. which is why it takes so long for the gear to raise/lower.. If your landing gear fails, it's an "electrical problem"..
Ain't flying the WOP B-17 loads of fun?? I love it!!
Charles
Charles

new reply

Return to “Heavy Bombers and Jets”