Dull Paint finish / suggestions

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
crippy
Staff Sergeant

Dull Paint finish / suggestions

Post by crippy »

Hello everyone! Having a bit of trouble trying to get my paint to look like a real paint skin.

I've used GIMP 2 to create the paint job and exported it as .psd. After that I've opened DXTBmp and imported the paint kit, then exported it as .dds DDS DXT5.

As you can see the paint needs some Sharpening, but I'm not quite sure how to do that in GIMP / Photoshop. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Re: Dull Paint finish / suggestions

Post by crippy »

May have fixed this one myself.

In DXTBmp on the side bar there is a box labeled mipmaps and by default a box checked labeled "include when saving" Unchecking this seemed to solve the issue

Also in the fsx.cfg located in user/appdata/roaming/Microsoft/fsx.fsxcfg use CTRL + F and 'find' texture_max and change that value to 4096 and save.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Dull Paint finish / suggestions

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello crippy,

make sure mipmaps is turned off when saving and that will make sure your paint is sharp.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Repainters”