New to painting and getting confused

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
dscott3984
Airman First Class

New to painting and getting confused

Post by dscott3984 »

This is probably a simple error on my part as this is my first time trying to paint something other than a PNG file. It seems that I am having an issue in the Alpha layer of the Texture file. If I have it visible at all, it whites out my paint job. If I hide the Alpha layer, well that is in the 2nd picture.... Everything looks fine except for the spinner. Should I be able to use the Alpha and at what opacity?

Bear with me please, I'm learning as I go...

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Re: New to painting and getting confused

Post by crazac »

By the sounds of it, you are trying to show the Alpha Layer in the paint kit through opacity? Is this correct? If so, you do not want to do this. The Alpha layer is only used to create your Alpha Channel. Does that make sense?

Once you have created your Alpha layer the way you would like it, select the entire art board and copy it. Then go to you Channels, create a new one, paste your copied Alpha layer into your new Channel. After that, I rename the channel Alpha 1 and delete any other/old ones.

Don't forget to hide your Alpha Layer and Channel before saving out to texture.

dscott3984
Airman First Class

Post by dscott3984 »

Thank you, Trying to figure it out now with what you described. I haven't done anything at all with channels so I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to convert a folder from layer to one channel

Copy and paste isn't working lol

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

The following is for photoshop. Since I don't know what you are using and that is what I use.

In the layers, you'll want to hide all of the non alpha layers. Not really necessary, but, for sake of clarity.

With only the Alpha folder and layers visible, Select All from the Select menu. Then Copy Merged from the Edit menu. You can leave the selection active and it will paste in place.

Switch to the Channels layers. If you need to find it, it's in the Window menu at the top. Create new Channel (at the bottom of the Channels menu), This should activate the new one. Then Paste.

That should be it. You should have an exact image of what was in the Alpha Layers.

dscott3984
Airman First Class

Post by dscott3984 »

Would like to resurrect this topic as I am trying my hand back at repainting A2A birds. I have now started using Photoshop CC and am still having issues with Alpha layer/channels. I have started by making my changes to the aircraft paint under the "paint here" tab. Then changing the Alpha layers to reflect my changes. Taking the Alpha layers, copying then, and then pasting them into a channel named Alpha 1. After this I hide the Alpha and save the PSD. Then I open up dxtbmp and select the psd file, flip the image and alpha, then save as a DDS DXT5. After saving I make up the file structure needed for P3Dv3 and open it up in the sim. The picture below is what I see with the grey spinner still. What am I doing wrong guys?

Thanks,
Derrick

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

Assuming you want the spinner to be shiny metal, then that part should be darker in the alpha channel. Check with another paint that has a shiny spinner, open that texture file in dxtbmp, save the alpha, and use that alpha for your paint.
As long as you don't try to make a bare metal repaint, you can use that alpha for all repaints.
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

jcblom wrote:Assuming you want the spinner to be shiny metal, then that part should be darker in the alpha channel. Check with another paint that has a shiny spinner, open that texture file in dxtbmp, save the alpha, and use that alpha for your paint.
As long as you don't try to make a bare metal repaint, you can use that alpha for all repaints.
I had this same problem, a dark spinner. I applied your trick of importing a "good" Alpha from another paint into the editor and it worked, thank you Jankees. I think something's messed up with the Alpha channel in my PSD file. When I import this file into DXTBmp, the alpha channel preview in the top right corner of the screen is blank. Any idea what could be going on there? The rest of my paint looks OK. It's my very first one; I was even thinking of sharing it.

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

it depends on what you are painting.
If you use the A2A paintkit, some psd files already have the alpha, others have a different file for the alpha, where you have to make the correct alpha separately.
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Hello dscott3984.

If you use Photoshop, may I suggest you install the NVidia DDS plugin. You can then save from inside Photoshop directly to DDS format without having to mess around with DXTBmp.

32 bit version https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/defa ... 9.1800.exe

64 bit version https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/defa ... 9.1800.exe

Here are the settings to use when saving an A2A paint as DXT5.

Happy painting.

Steve.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Something to consider, to speed up your work-flow, would be to use ModelconverterX. It's far faster than re-loading your sim every time as you can edit, save and then test your results live using it.

Some quick info in this thread.
https://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vi ... 77#p453782

Steve.

new reply

Return to “Repainters”