64 bit Repainting

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
crazac
Technical Sergeant

64 bit Repainting

Post by crazac »

So, with all of the commotion going on lately with the 64 bit sims coming out, I can't help wondering how that will affect the repaint scene. Or will it?
I don't fully understand how the sims handle the textures, and, all I know about 64 bit is that it's better and faster. Lol

I assume all of the paints that have been done will still work fine. However, I am wondering if there is more detail and pixel density to be had? For instance, larger pixel dimensions for the textures. Or, does it not matter because it's always 72dpi? Or, the size is at the discretion of the creators and 64 bit has nothing to do with it?

It seems like there is scaling potential in the ground textures. Giving more detail per meter. Albeit different, it got me wondering about our beloved plane paints.

I'd love to hear any insights and thoughts you guys might have on this.

Happy painting.

ebo
Master Sergeant

Re: 64 bit Repainting

Post by ebo »

My repaints sre all done in an uncompressed dds format, hence the are about 4 times larger than normal. They give me super sharp lines and I experienced no performance issues, that was in P3D v3. Hence these should work perfectly well in v4.

Unfortunately I can not give you an answer how things will work in v4. I am one of the fortunate testers for p3d and the problem was, that the a2a aircraft did not run properly in that dim.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk
Regards
Eberhard Haberkorn

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Interesting. Thanks Ebo.

I take it you are using 888 then?
I'm under the impression that is still 32 bit like bmp. Again, I'm not fully sure what that means for the sim.

I basically take my psd file straight into dxtbmp and convert to dxt5. Although compressed, I believe my textures should still be 4096. I will try to remember to check that tonight. I have tried 888 in the past, but, heard from some people that it was to heavy, causing ooms or slow performance. I know that's probably a system related thing tho. I'll try again and compare.

Anyway, I'm curious to see how this goes and if 64 changes anything in this department or it's an engine thing. In the mean time, If I can learn to make better textures, I'll be stoked.

That's cool you're a tester! It has to be a fun thing to do and have the insight to what is going on.
I'm sure A2A has that sorted now. The dimensions are part of what I'm curious about and if/how they change.

[edit] I only know enough to get in trouble. :lol:

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Being compressed, you loose a lot of colour information with DXT5. 8.8.8.8 is uncompressed so the colour pallet is far greater. Think of it like JPEG. The more you compress, the more colour information you lose.

Here's what can happened to a texture saved as DXT5

in comparison to when saved as an 8.8.8.8.

Obviously the more you 'zoom-in', the easier you can see the limitations. It is then down to the dimensions of the texture being 2048 or 4096. But there is obviously more scope with an uncompressed, or 'lossless' colour palette in 32 bpp (bpp=bits per pixel) 8.8.8.8 texture, as opposed to the same compressed, 'lossy' texture in 8 bpp DXT5.

For a more detailed explanation, have a look at the following article.
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.p ... _explained

Steve.

new reply

Return to “Repainters”