please help... I'm lost...

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
CessnaSkypilotN7365W
Senior Airman

Post by CessnaSkypilotN7365W »

This is a repost from the tail end of an older post. I figured it would get more exposure as a new post.

Hi. I'm trying myself to take on the daunting task of repainting my newly purchased 182. I am familiar with how layers work and have painted my plane in the "Paint Here" layer that I have renamed to match the tail number ie., "Livery_N7635M"
I have added a couple stickers and my own tail number in their own layers and saving the file as a psd while working on it. When I am ready to save it as a dds file, I merge them down to the single "livery" layer.
Now the fun begins...
Did I mention I am using GIMP? It can save as a dds so I don't need the NV plugin.
Do I leave what is not visible and what is visible as they were when I opened the psd. Do I leave my new layer visible? Do I merge visible layers, thus deleting invisible layers, or do I flatten the image, or both in that order?
And what about the specular file? What do I do with that so that is matches my scheme? I understand what it does I just don't understand how to make it unique to my needs.
Now the unavailing...
I have attempted 4 times now, each experimenting a little with how to get different results. The first two times I ended up with a TOTALLY BLACK model, including wheel chocks and tie downs. The third time I thought I was getting closer with a skin wrap that looked like the entire thing as it appears when the psd file is opened. The fourth was back in black.... REALLY???
Is there a specific order the layers are stacked in, a certain layer selected as active, visible or not?? I'm getting a little overwhelmed but refuse to give up though my wife is getting a little p'd. Says I'm obsessed lol. (nah) With the time it has taken me to paint it I haven't flown the damn thing in over two weeks.
Is there somebody out there that can walk me through this? I'd be forever in your debt lol and I could get back to the real reason I got in this sport in the first place lol!
Blue skies,

Roger

PS... I edit on my laptop, windows 10 and transfer the dds files to my FS machine, Windows 7 with NV graphics card if that matters.

braindart
Airman Basic

Re: please help... I'm lost...

Post by braindart »

Are you flipping the image upside down when you save as dds?

CessnaSkypilotN7365W
Senior Airman

Braindart,
I am using GIMP2.8, saving the psd as a Targa file as per a video I watched, although GIMP can save it as a dds which I have tried. Do I need DXTBmp if GIMP can do it? I then run DXTBmp.exe to create the dds file. All DXTBmp asked was what type. I pick DDS 888-8 32bit.
not sure what you mean by flipping it. Kinda put the project aside from frustration.
but hey, I'm willing to try anything once. twice if it feels good lol

thanx for your help. Roger

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Hi Roger,

Flipping it means, inverting the image so it is backwards and upside down. This has to do with how the mapping works in the sim.
In DXTbmp, in one of the top menus, "image" i think, select "flip image and alpha" then save as your desired dds. For me this is the easiest way to do it.
I don't use gimp so I'm not sure how it'd be done in there. Maybe if there is a "mirror" tool or something. Now that I know gimp can save dds, maybe I'll try it.

As far as layers and hidden objects, you shouldn't have to do anything. Leave the file as you want it to appear, the saving as a bmp or targa will do all of the flattening and things.

I use psd and open the full layered file straight into dxtbmp, then flip, then save dds. Make sure the mipmaps box is not checked. It's on the right side in dxtbmp.

As for the black, this has only happened to me once in the beginning. I can't really remember why, but have a feeling it might have to do with mipmaps being checked. If not it's how it's being saved.

Anyway, if you follow my steps above, you should be good.

Good luck and happy painting.

Don't forget to post your paint in the finished repaints thread. ;)

CessnaSkypilotN7365W
Senior Airman

thanks crazac. I will try that. getting ready to watch the race now. (priorities)

later...

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Lol, I 100% agree!

CessnaSkypilotN7365W
Senior Airman

crazac, what about the specular file? how do i apply my scheme to that file. i have created a texture file from psd directly to dds via DXTBmp following your directions. when i flipped it with alpha i saw my paint. just not sure about this specular file.
:)
Roger

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

You handle the spec file the same way as far as saving out. [edit] You will do this method for almost all of the textures. At least, all of the main ones. There are only a couple that I have come across that you don't need to flip.

To get your art the the new file, the following is for photoshop since that is what I use. On the layer you want to move, you can select the entire layer/art board with marque tool (whatever you use for selection), then in the spec file, paste in place. From there you can maniuplate the colors. I would expect GIMP to be a similar process.

If you haven't already, check out this thread from EightyFiftyFive. He's full of great information, you might want to search his other posts.
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 98&t=45108
Last edited by crazac on 29 May 2017, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

I forgot to say good job! I'm glad it's working for ya. :D

CessnaSkypilotN7365W
Senior Airman

crazac, thank you :lol: thank you :lol: thank you :lol: !!! it worked, i saw my plane!! whoo-hoo!! i'm one happy camper!!

Still got some tweaking to do but i knew that. i just couldn't see it to know what needed tweaked.

yeah i was merging,flattening,you name it,creating a targa. you just saved me multiple steps and it worked to boot.

again thank you :lol: thank you :lol: thank you :lol:
and thank you for the tip on EightyFiftyFive's posts. i have seen some but never saw that one. guess i'm not done reading lol.

btw i was glad to see the number 3 in victory lane but i was done rooting for my driver on lap, what was it, 19? (#24) loved his dad, love the kid!!

Happy Memorial Day! If you're a vet, thank you. :wink:
Blue Skies my friend.

Roger

next... airport designer lol. X59. That's where i hang my hat :mrgreen: and if i was a real pilot, that too.
Last edited by CessnaSkypilotN7365W on 29 May 2017, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

CessnaSkypilotN7365W
Senior Airman

did i mention you're awesome!!?? lol

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

SkyPilot_32908 wrote: i saw my plane!! whoo-hoo!! i'm one happy camper!!
Yea, it is kind of amazing for the first time, huh?! :D
SkyPilot_32908 wrote: yeah i was merging,flattening,you name it,creating a targa. you just saved me multiple steps and it worked to boot.
I was doing that also when I started.
SkyPilot_32908 wrote: ...thank you for the tip on EightyFiftyFive's posts. i have seen some but never saw that one. guess i'm not done reading lol.
No you're not :P You're welcome, have fun.
SkyPilot_32908 wrote: btw i was glad to see the number 3 in victory lane but i was done rooting for my driver on lap, what was it, 19? (#24) loved his dad, love the kid!!
That's racing.
SkyPilot_32908 wrote: Happy Memorial Day! If you're a vet, thank you. :wink:
Blue Skies my friend.
Thanks, I'm not, my brother is. Same to you. :)
SkyPilot_32908 wrote: next... airport designer lol. X59. That's where i hang my hat :mrgreen: and if i was a real pilot, that too.

Lol, I've had that on the list myself! However, it will be a private hideaway vacation spot somewhere tbd. Since Orbx has my area pretty much nailed down now, KCRQ.

Have fun

CessnaSkypilotN7365W
Senior Airman

fyi... happily tweaking...

(if i could only figure out where stuff is on this layout lol)

:mrgreen: the beast has been unleashed!! :mrgreen:

new reply

Return to “Repainters”