Environment maps/reflectivity - especially T-6 Texan

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Environment maps/reflectivity - especially T-6 Texan

Post by Adam_NZ »

I'm always amazed at the level of detail that went into the exterior model of the T-6. Such a joy to repaint too!!!

However - I'm intrigued as to how the actual environment (rather than a generic .dds file) reflects in the more polished liveries. Clouds reflect - as do runway markings on the underside. Absolutely stunning!!!

How is this achieved? Is it a flag/setting in the model itself? Or is it simply the way the texture files are set up?

Adam.
--
Image--Image

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Environment maps/reflectivity - especially T-6 Texan

Post by bladerunner900 »

You are right Adam. The 3D model has to have a specular texture assigned to it. For example;

This chap does not have one, so he will never shine.

Cheers.
Steve.

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Thanks! But I still can't quite see (using your example) how you would assign the live/real external world as reflective. Not that I've ever played with stuff at that level anyway! I only mess with the 2D textures when repainting.

Adam.
--
Image--Image

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I suspect it's in the game engine itself, since high polish aircraft in P3D v3 can now reflect the surrounding scenery. I assume Lockheed flipped a switch on the environment, that now gives scenery the ability to cast reflections as well as shadows. However they did it, I'm glad they did. :)

FSX and earlier versions of P3D use a cube-map environment, or Env.dds file, to simulate and control reflections of the sky and ground you see on aircraft.

Steve.

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

So ... if a model is set to use the cubemap method (and is set to use a specific texture, say env.dds) then simply removing/renaming the .dds file won't do it - I'd have to dig in the actual model <?>.

Adam.
--
Image--Image

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

If I wanted to give that guy in my example some shiny metal parts for example, I would have to make a new gloss, or spec file. Then I would have to assign that new texture in the 3D model. Anyone could then change the standard spec file as required.

So, as long as you can give a model a certain amount of shine, you could then use the Env.dds file. But there is a drawback to this method. Have you ever noticed, that on a clear bright sunny day, some aircraft still show cloud reflections in their paint work? That's the Env.dds file reflected in your new shiny paint job.

But it doesn't end there. You also have to consider the fresnel.dds files. These files work with the Env.dds files. Together, they control how shiny the model is and getting them to complement each other is quite fiddly. Small changes can vary the result from a dull metallic shine, to a high chrome polished effect.

But as you say. You first have to alter the 3D model to actually use a specular file and that's not easy. You also have to consider copyright infringement. There are lots of models I have tweaked over the years, but always with the permission of the original artist. And for the record. I have never altered a Shockwave or A2A model or any other flight sim model for that matter. It would be to much hard work and so I leave such things to the professionals. :)

Steve.

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

bladerunner900 wrote: But as you say. You first have to alter the 3D model to actually use a specular file and that's not easy. You also have to consider copyright infringement. There are lots of models I have tweaked over the years, but always with the permission of the original artist. And for the record. I have never altered a Shockwave or A2A model or any other flight sim model for that matter. It would be to much hard work and so I leave such things to the professionals. :)
I understand about using specular files - and their limitations (!!). Also - I've no intention of messing directly with anyone's .mdl files (especially A2A's). I was just wondering if the effect could somehow be achieved without mdl edits. I guess not!!!

My aim was to try and work out how to apply the T-6 style reflections to my Manfred Jahn C-47. The same principle would apply there too - no direct .mdl editing!

Adam.
--
Image--Image

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Adam_NZ wrote:
bladerunner900 wrote: My aim was to try and work out how to apply the T-6 style reflections to my Manfred Jahn C-47. The same principle would apply there too - no direct .mdl editing!

Adam.
Seeing as how the C-47 uses spec files, it should be possible to give it the same metallic shine as the T-6. Think I'll give it a go later. Is there a paint kit for it yet?

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

bladerunner900 wrote:
Adam_NZ wrote:
bladerunner900 wrote: My aim was to try and work out how to apply the T-6 style reflections to my Manfred Jahn C-47. The same principle would apply there too - no direct .mdl editing!

Adam.
Seeing as how the C-47 uses spec files, it should be possible to give it the same metallic shine as the T-6. Think I'll give it a go later. Is there a paint kit for it yet?
Yes there is - if you can't find it, give me a shout. I must have the linkl somewhere.

However - I think maybe you're misunderstanding me ;) ... there's no problem addinng any amount of shine to the C-47 (and indeed quite a few liveries are pretty glossy LOL) it's the ability to reflect the *real environment* (like in the T-6) that they all lack.

Adam.
--
Image--Image

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Adam_NZ wrote: However - I think maybe you're misunderstanding me ;) ... there's no problem addinng any amount of shine to the C-47 (and indeed quite a few liveries are pretty glossy LOL) it's the ability to reflect the *real environment* (like in the T-6) that they all lack.

Adam.
Ah. I think that is a new feature of P3D. I get the same reflected scenery effect with other aircraft. A shiny A2A P-51 paint for example.

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

All sorted!!!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/s ... ost1039375

Obviously, these model edits can only be shared for freeware aircraft (and also with the original creator's permission) - but it's great to see how it's done.

Adam.
--
Image--Image

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Yup. Doing so also gets rid of the white sheen to the glass on the cockpit of the Spitfire, when viewed from the outside.

Cheers.
Steve.

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

bladerunner900 wrote:Yup. Doing so also gets rid of the white sheen to the glass on the cockpit of the Spitfire, when viewed from the outside.

Cheers.
Steve.
Steve, are you talking about this ?

It affects the Heinkel 219 and the civilian Mustang too, but not the P-47. It'd be nice to have something that rectifies it. :)

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Yes, but unfortunately it only looks like a partial solution. Depending on the angel you view the Spitfire, some of the glass looks like it's missing. This is all in P3D V3 by the way. I Haven't checked in FSX.

With the same tweak to the Civ Mustang, on the selection screen, it looks like there is no glass. The same is true for the Spitfire as well. So it looks like there is more work to be done on both models. I shan't bother taking this any further though. I'm hoping for a proper P3D model for both one day.

Edit: Unless some kind soul can tell me what settings need changing of course. :wink:

Steve.

new reply

Return to “Repainters”