Repainting Tutorials

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Repainting Tutorials

Post by EightyFiftyFive »

Last edited by EightyFiftyFive on 11 Mar 2016, 20:44, edited 2 times in total.
Some of my repaint work (screens only)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Re: Repainting Tutorials

Post by crazac »

Sweet Alan. I look forward them.

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Re-opened after some changes and editing.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9tN_7 ... YVREUJ1F7w

FLYING TIGER
Airman First Class

Post by FLYING TIGER »

Hi Alan,
I watched your videos twice, tried to follow your tutorial as best as I could but still no OO-VDB in the sim. The repaint itself isn't all that hard. As a photographer I know my way around a bit in PS, so the basics go well. After my repaint was done, I saved the 2 dds files -NVIDEA dds format window filled out as adviced by you - and then put them in the sim. How I did it can be seen in the attachments. Somewhere allong the way I must have did something wrong, but I have no idea what. Can you think of anything with the info I provide?
Hope for some advice. Thanks for the making of the vids but it's still not an easy task. Especialy for a non Englisch spoken person sometimes everything goes to fast and it's hard to follow your explanations. But with some more help we'll get there and it will go better and better with repainting. "The first cut(plane)is the deepest" :)
Hoping for some positive reply,
Kind Regards,
Eddy

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Make sure those entries are in order, I see the last one was 3 yet you have named the next entry 5 and not 4.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

FLYING TIGER
Airman First Class

Post by FLYING TIGER »

Hi Lewis,
first of all thanks again for replying. It's a bit confusing (as usual :o ) because in the folder, as you can see, they start from texture 1 but in the cfg-file they start from 0. So the 0 in the cfg-file is actually texture 1 in the folder. So I namesd mine texture 5 in the folder. I didn,t know that the numerical order is so important and that the cfg file overrules the folder numbering. Never to old to learn.
It's to time to go to sleep now, to late ,also as usual :D , so in the morning I will change the cfg-file and check it out in the sim if my Cessna OO-VDB is visible. I'll let you know as soon as I tried it.. Until then,

Regards,
Eddy

Welsch
Staff Sergeant

Repainting Tutorials

Post by Welsch »

In the config file, you have a section [fltsim.3], followed by the next section titled [fltsim.5].
It's about those numbers that Lewis is worried. FSX is pretty fickle and doesn't like if you skip a number like you did there. It has to be consecutive numbers for these section titles, in ascending order. So rename that section title from [fltsim.5] to [fltsim.4] - and of course make sure there is no other section titled [fltsim.4] around somewhere.

Regarding the textures... I am no painter, so no guarantees I got this right - but I would have expected that a line "texture=5" in the config corresponds to using the textures in the folder "texture.5".
The folder "texture" would then be used by default if you do not specify a dedicated texture folder, i.e. when you leave the texture line blank, like this: "texture="
So assuming you put your textures into the folder textures.5 this should work as is.
As I said - not a painter, so I could be wrong about the textures.

FLYING TIGER
Airman First Class

Post by FLYING TIGER »

GOOD MORNING Lewis & Welsch,
a very good morning indeed ! Like you said, all it took was to change the 5 into a 4 in the aircraft.cfg file and there it was: my first born repaint. :P It still needs a bit of tweaking here and there (just a bit to shiny - cowl flaps etc.) but for a first, I'm happy. I now own my personal 182, something I could never afford in real life :mrgreen:

Thanks again for the help and support,

Have a nice weekend, I know I will ! :wink:

Kind regards,
Eddy

Welsch
Staff Sergeant

Post by Welsch »

Very nice! Enjoy your very own repaint :-)

FLYING TIGER
Airman First Class

Post by FLYING TIGER »

Hello Welsch,
thanks for liking it. I have done a 2nd repaint in the meanwhile, but the only plane I see in the sim is a totaly black one :D :?: Have to find out what went wrong :P

Kind regards,
Eddy

FLYING TIGER
Airman First Class

Post by FLYING TIGER »

Hello forum / Alan,

??? what happend? Is it me, or are the "how to" tutorial videos temporarily blocked due to some adjustements or something? When I try to open them I get the "sorry, these videos are private" message. :?:

Awaiting "hopefully" some answers, in the meanwhile

kind regards,
Eddy

skidmarkz
Airman Basic

Post by skidmarkz »

FLYING TIGER wrote:Hello forum / Alan,

??? what happend? Is it me, or are the "how to" tutorial videos temporarily blocked due to some adjustments or something? When I try to open them I get the "sorry, these videos are private" message. :?:

Awaiting "hopefully" some answers, in the meanwhile

kind regards,
Eddy
I'm having the same issue. Lots of good info. Hope they come back!

BabtridgeMcJoystick
Airman First Class

Post by BabtridgeMcJoystick »

Yes I am getting similar, it just says "this channel has no content".

Hope it wasn't something like Justin Bieber was playing on the radio in the background when the video was recorded and YouTube's copyright robot overlords auto-banned the vids! (Sounds daft but has actually happened).

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Haha. I doubt it. It's been up and down. I'm sure he's just managing something and will be up again soon.

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Back online.

Going to work on another video in the future. It will cover the entire process from start to finish, complete and then I'll probably take the others offline as they won't be needed. This one video will be long and broken down in hourly segments but it will cover everything needed for beginners and advanced painters.

I'm currently working on some other things so it will be a while before I get to that. I'm glad the tutorials are helping out.
There are several ways of doing things too so keep in mind that what I do in my videos work for me and are shorter and more to the point of making things work on a beginner level then a lot of others may do. I'll be covering other techniques as well in the up coming video.

~A~

new reply

Return to “Repainters”