Problem with repaint - black textures

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
rictus
Senior Airman

Problem with repaint - black textures

Post by rictus »

Dear all - (apologies if this post should be in Tech Support - with the repaint threads here it seemed better)

I decided having made a repaint request, rather than just wait for some good and lovely person to take up their own time doing it, to give it a go myself!

I downloaded the PSD files and watched a quick youtube vid on saving out the PSDs to TGA and use DXTbmp to convert to DDS. I've saved the two DDS files into a texture.GGFCA folder and placed this in simobjects\etc\etc with the other texture folders. I've then added a texture.cfg (unedited) from another texture folder.

I've then edited the aircraft.cfg file to include the following:

[fltsim.7]
title=Piper Pa-28-180 G-GFCA
sim=PA28_180
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=GGFCA
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=HB-OHC
ui_manufacturer="A2A Piper"
ui_type="PA28-180 Cherokee"
ui_variation="GGFCA"
ui_typerole="Single Engine Prop"
ui_createdby="A2A Simulations Inc."

But when I load the plane up in FSX, the preview window shows the plane spinning round in lovely all-over black :(

Could anyone give me some tips, please? The DDS files are confirmed at 4096x4096 - I didn't change them in PS at any time.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Problem with repaint - black textures

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Because of the nature of it Ill move the thread to repainters as its a definite repainting issue.

Just to confirm you flipped the texture and saved the correct DXT Type?

Also file wise the folder resembles the default repaints with regards what is inside the folder alongside your edited texture?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

File was reversed in DXTbmp - that was shown in the video (otherwise yes I'd never have thought of that!!)

contents of folder "texture.GGFCA" are:

Thumbnail.jpg (copied from the default red scheme for now)
pa28_180_s_GGFCA.dds
pa28_180_t_GGFCA.dds
texture.cfg - containing:
[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
fallback.3=..\..\..\..\Texture

As an update - loading any other PA28 now seems to crash FSX. I may need to see about this on the tech forum, having tried reinstalling the PA28, uiautomationcore and updating .net bits.

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

OK Finally got it to appear in the preview window... Doesn't look too happy though! Not sure why it did that!

CBris
Senior Airman

Post by CBris »

Several possibilities and all of them to do with the repaint... sorry.

One likely cause - check the image dimensions in your art program, in the exported bitmap and in the DDS version (open the latter in DXTbmp). If the image is not exactly 19024, 2048 or 4096 pixels square, then FSX will not recognise the texture as an image. You'll get black skins.Just one pixel off will throw it...

That also means checking the alphas for uniform squareness.

Another possibility: you aren't saving in the correct format. The major one in use is, of course, DXT5. FSX also recognises 32 bit 888-8 check the format of other images in the various textures that came with the model. You may have tried DXT3 and the modelmaker hasn't set this format? Not to sure about this, but it's easy to click the wrong texture quality level when you're exporting.

Try that for starters...
Chris Brisland, aka 'Dances with paintbrushes', aka EagleSkinner

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

Thanks CBris, that's really helpful.

I have been doing the skinning at work in my lunchbreaks, I ported the textures home and loaded them on my 'proper' FSX PC and the aircraft is the right shape - just black.

I think the tutorial showed saving out of DXTbmp as DXT1, so I will try an alternative format. I used the PSD's provided by A2A and didn't modify the dimensions so I think they should be 4096. does it matter if the paint overspills the painted area slightly? e.g. along the leading edge of the wing into 'dead' space in the overall texture map?

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

Switched textures to DXT5 - sadly no change :(

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Have you installed the latest updater and run it as administrator because your aircraft looks as if it has not been updated.

Cheers Chris

CBris
Senior Airman

Post by CBris »

rictus wrote:Thanks CBris, that's really helpful.

I have been doing the skinning at work in my lunchbreaks, I ported the textures home and loaded them on my 'proper' FSX PC and the aircraft is the right shape - just black.

I think the tutorial showed saving out of DXTbmp as DXT1, so I will try an alternative format. I used the PSD's provided by A2A and didn't modify the dimensions so I think they should be 4096. does it matter if the paint overspills the painted area slightly? e.g. along the leading edge of the wing into 'dead' space in the overall texture map?
"Should be 4096" is optimistic :wink: it is so easy to nudge one part of the image outside the frame. Bad paositioning on my part has often caused me grief and cost time. Also an over eager button / mouse click. Most of my reasons to "call the helpdesk" have been self induced and I have learned to question myself the minute I say things like "should be".
Chris Brisland, aka 'Dances with paintbrushes', aka EagleSkinner

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

Haha you're absolutely right, and as an IT Techie I should know better!

The DDS's are 4096x4096 according to DXTbmp. I have kept everything on the layout PSD provided by A2A exactly where it should be, all I've done is produce additional layers in the 'Paint Here' section. However due to the way I've created the shapes, some areas overlap slightly into dead space - To try and explain better I've posted a copy of the image. I've left in the 'default' N832PW layer to show you what I mean - note that where some of the blue lines meet I haven't tidied them... Would that do it?

http://imgur.com/YWaBgY4

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

OK I downloaded a fresh copy of the Repaint Kit PSD from A2A and exported it to TGA without making any changes. I then DXTbmp'd to DXT5 having reversed and Alpha'd it. Same result, comes out black, so it must be something in the export process ;)

At least I know it's not offended at my poor painting skills :D

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

Fixed :)

Always the simple problem - I'd used the same naming convention for my DDS filenames as the PSD and TGA's I was saving, eg pa28_180_t_GGFCA.dds - in the tutorial video I watched (using the A2A C172) the guy used custom names.

I tried renaming the DDS files to the 'default name' and they load up fine :)

Success!

Needs a little fine-tuning, but I'm quite happy for first attempt!

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

One thought - could someone advise on why the textures look a bit plasticky?

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

All sorted! Happy plane, (apart from the fact the real one is a -161 but who's looking too closely ;) )

Real one:

Mine:

Thanks to all who helped - just got to work out which bit is the spinner so I can make it light blue :)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Beautiful stuff, let us know when its availiable :)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Repainters”