Instrument/gauge repaints

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Instrument/gauge repaints

Post by Medtner »

Hi,

I've never repainted anything before, but I am thinking about modding a few of my instruments - especially in the warbirds. Just adding a few "tickmarks" or color-bands to remind me of where I like to keep my power (and my personal limits - I never fly the Spitfire at full throttle for example; same with the P-40).

Is this even possible? And how does one do it, if it is?
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Instrument/gauge repaints

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes totally possible and you can edit it per repaint if you wish. Just edit the textures exactly as you would an external repaint and away you go.

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

As Lewis said, it is totally doable. Although, without the glass and reflection layers it would be quite difficult or fiddly. It all depends on how well you know Photoshop. Of course, having access to the original psd files would be a big help. :mrgreen:

It's taken me years to get to grips with Photoshop and I am still learning. Motivation is the key thing and finding time to do it all.

Good luck and you can allways look for advice on these forums. :wink:

Steve

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

It took a while to find the instrument-file, but once I found it and got to know Photoshop a little I managed to make a quick test of some instrument modifications.

This is an early try on the P-40, which needed some helpful markings to make it easier to know at a glance where I'm, engine management-wize.
I know I need more green on some of the gauges - some of it is hidden "under" the dashboard.

Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Nice and very similar to the marks you might see in cockpits world wide as pilots make there own little helpers. Ive seen alsorts from things similar to this to the classic metal tape stuff with text on it plastered throughout with various information the owner regularly uses.

cheers.
Lewis

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

It does liven up the otherwise dark P-40 cockpit as well. :-)
I remember reading in the manual to the A2A Spitfire that one doesn't push it as hard nowadays - the plane being some 70 years old and so forth. I imagine this could be similar in the P-40 and this is why I have modified the markings a little, just to help me be kind to the ol' Allison. :-)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Just a screenshot of the slightly better version - better borders and some extras. I wanted to have the MP-redline to be more important too.

The green arc on the RPM gauge is difficult to get readable without getting too close to the numbers. Track IR will do the job, however. :-)

Here is from my flight today in Washington State: Willapa Harbor - Sanderson - Concrete Municipal - Sekiu.
I'm cruising* above Seattle-Tacoma airspace here.

*This cruise setting gives an amazing 11-12 GPH.
One does however need to pay attention to engine temps - descending into Concrete I needed to add power very carefully over 5-7 minutes to
get engine temps back up for the higher RPM needed for approach (and in the event of a go-around). Accusim is all kinds of fun! :-D

Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Not sure how you are with Photoshop, so not sure if preaching to the choir but if you use layer properties you could get the same affect without overwriting the white below.

thanks,
Lewis

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Not sure how you are with Photoshop, so not sure if preaching to the choir but if you use layer properties you could get the same affect without overwriting the white below.

thanks,
Lewis
I've never used Photoshop before, so this layer-thing is new to me. I'll check it out. But I think I can live with the results I got - it is also possible for me to write the white over the color if needed.

Some new additions/refinements will be posted later today. :-)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Looks great Erik..if you use blending options on the colored layers you are creating, then you could have the green with the lines showing through.....your progress looks great though and it does add a bit of "freshness" to the old gal :D

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

I have refined it a little - adding a yellow arc and layered the tickmarks of the numbers over the color. I did this manually, so it is a little uneven, but it's good enough for government work (which it kinda was, back in the day).

Highspeed cruise at FL177 (to stay VFR). Flew from Sekiu to Portland, Oregon. I feel very much at home in the P-40 now. :-)

Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

new reply

Return to “Repainters”