C172 Warbird Trainer - Repaint WIP

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
crazac
Technical Sergeant

C172 Warbird Trainer - Repaint WIP

Post by crazac »

What's up guys. I'm new the sim scene and have quickly been getting deeper and deeper. Recently, I got the 172, found this forum and paint kit. It's good to see this community is alive and well supported.

First of all, the reason I got into sim was to see if I want to get my PPL and support that training. After landing here, you guys have taught and inspired me to do my first repaint. To kick it off, I wanted to paint a "trainer". That said, any plane can be a trainer. So, I went the military route and chose to use a P-51 mustang as the base inspiration. In reality, I would expect a military trainer be pretty plain with basic markings. I tried to have a little of that, as well as some fun.

This is still in WIP status. The name Stallion is a working title as a place holder, I'm probably going to change the marking fonts to be more era accurate, the spinning prop needs some coloring and I might add some bits here and there. The interior is where most of my noodling will be. I still have the exterior view of the interior to do, as well as, regular interior knit-picking.

After a week or so, here's where I'm at...

Also, I'd like to say thanks to A2A and the community for making such awesome add-ons and sharing the knowledge and resources. I'm having a ton of fun and looks to be a great community.

Enjoy!

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: C172 Warbird Trainer - Repaint WIP

Post by taildraggin68 »

Very nice work :D

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Beautiful Mustang repaint for the 172 8)

Thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Oh yeah, I like that!

Joe
Joe

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

I was able to make a couple updates this week. The markings font is now period relevant and I thought I'd try only one stripe in the underwing. Which do you think you like better? Multiple black and white stripes or a single black stripe?

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

They both look great, but I personally prefer it with the D-Day Stripes under the wings as well- makes it stand out a little more. But if you are torn, simply upload both in the file so the user can choose which they prefer!

Joe
Joe

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

:idea: That's a good point. I'll do that.

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

:shock: Has it been almost a year already. :cry: I really need to be less busy ...

I managed to make a little time to keep going on this. Here's where I'm at now. It took a little bit of a turn from my initial intentions, but, I think they're for the better. Only a few tweeks left and I'm hoping to be done by this weekend. 8) Feel free if you have any thoughts.

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Oh, wow, I'd forgotten all about this! I think it looks FANTASTIC! I'll definitely be taking her for some dangerous and near impossible (in a 172) fighter maneuvers! This coupled with Maloney's nice fighter inspired paint for the 182 are making me an aggressive GA pilot at times!

When this is done do you have any plans for a WWII fighter scheme for the Comanche? That would look goooood!

Anyhow, I love what you've done here, can't wait to fly her!

Joe
Joe

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

haha great I like the crazy hawk wave to the crazy horse Mustang 8) :lol:

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Lewis - A2A wrote:haha great I like the crazy hawk wave to the crazy horse Mustang 8) :lol:
8) Thanks Lewis. :arrow: I struggled hard on what to call it, or, if it was going to have nose art. And then :idea: it hit me, and was obvious this was it :!:

JoeS475 wrote:Oh, wow, I'd forgotten all about this! I think it looks FANTASTIC! I'll definitely be taking her for some dangerous and near impossible (in a 172) fighter maneuvers! This coupled with Maloney's nice fighter inspired paint for the 182 are making me an aggressive GA pilot at times!

When this is done do you have any plans for a WWII fighter scheme for the Comanche? That would look goooood!

Anyhow, I love what you've done here, can't wait to fly her!

Joe
:D That sounds fun. I hope she brings you hours of hell raising enjoyment :twisted:

I don't have the Comanche yet and haven't thought about it, BUT, since you mentioned it, maybe a spitfire cammo type 2fiddy is in order. We'll see. I'm on the fence for my next purchase. Besides wanting all of the A2A birds, my next one will be either the Cub, P40 or the Comanche. Again, we'll see. I've been loosing sleep over it for months now ... :wink: :P :lol:

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Right, So this bird is now sorted and baked.

I'm going to try to put it on AVSIM and will post a link here and in the finished repaint thread when avail. I've not done AVSIM before, so if it doesn't work out, I'll have it on one of my clouds. I hope to have it up this weekend.

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

FINALLY! CRAZY HAWK is born and available on AVSIM.
Download here http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... LID=191909
If, for some reason, you can't get it from there, please PM me and I'll set up a different access point.

Below are some final interior and other detail shots

I hope you guys can enjoy this paint.

Have fun,
crazac

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Very cool and unusual repaint. I love the polished metal look! Thanks for sharing!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

new reply

Return to “Repainters”