Anyone feel like making me a sign for a hangar?

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
Fragmentum
Staff Sergeant

Re: Anyone feel like making me a sign for a hangar?

Post by Fragmentum »

Dudley Henriques wrote: If you would ever like to read a bit about my association with the 142nd, try this link. It's an official part of Del ANG history.

http://www.militaryheritage.org/ShotwellJ.html

Scan right on down through the story. Hope you enjoy it, and thank you for helping me maintain a memory from the past.
DH
Thank you for sharing, Sir. I enjoyed the read and knowing more about your history, and your honoring a mentor in your life. A fitting tribute, indeed!
i5-2600K SB, 8GB Mushkin Redline, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, GTX 560 2GB, Saitek X52. Etch-A-Sketch hard wired to Speak-N-Spell backup system. Everything maxed and I see it ALL!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

PZl Belfegor wrote:Thank you for the link, I always appreciate opportunity to learn something :)
Here is a screenshot of the sign in Flight Simulator - tomorrow I'll fine-tune it, and hopefully will be able to upload it for you and anybody interested :)
Beautiful ! I think I owe you one :-)))
D

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Fragmentum wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote: If you would ever like to read a bit about my association with the 142nd, try this link. It's an official part of Del ANG history.

http://www.militaryheritage.org/ShotwellJ.html

Scan right on down through the story. Hope you enjoy it, and thank you for helping me maintain a memory from the past.
DH
Thank you for sharing, Sir. I enjoyed the read and knowing more about your history, and your honoring a mentor in your life. A fitting tribute, indeed!
Jim was a wonderful guy. Glad you enjoyed the story. The story also appears in the books "Habit" by Elenor Virville PhD and "Everyday Greatness" by Dr. Stephen R. Covey

DH

1SgtMajor
Staff Sergeant

Post by 1SgtMajor »

PZl Belfegor wrote:Thank you for the link, I always appreciate opportunity to learn something :)
Here is a screenshot of the sign in Flight Simulator - tomorrow I'll fine-tune it, and hopefully will be able to upload it for you and anybody interested :)
Great Job PZI Belfegor!!!!

That's what I've always enjoyed with the Flightsim community!!! Folks always ready and willing to lend a hand!!! I salute you!!!!!

Cheers,
Steve R.
SgtMajor, USMC (Retired)

ImageImageImage

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

1SgtMajor wrote:
Great Job PZI Belfegor!!!!

That's what I've always enjoyed with the Flightsim community!!! Folks always ready and willing to lend a hand!!! I salute you!!!!!

Cheers,
+1 - I've also had some really great community members help me out with personalized stuff.... This is a truly fantastic place to hang out and be a part of!

Thanks all!

Joe
Joe

Fragmentum
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fragmentum »

I would be interested in this modified hanger with the sign!

I have not been successful in creating a placement for the Eaglesoft Branch Office and Hanger within FSX using the supplied placement program. I believe a Texture folder is needed for FSX to recognize may be the issue, but not being a scenery guru, I am not sure. You can create a Eaglesoft Branch Office and Hanger in FS9 then copy the .BGL it to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\Eaglesoft Hanger\scenery folder (my path in Win7) and it will show up in FSX. You may have to trial and error it a few times to get exact placement and elevation correctly because of the differences in the two sims. My wheels inside the hanger at Bremerton ar sunk into the hanger floor.

I think it would be great if we had a peaceable hanger kit like this dedicated to FSX to keep our warbirds out of the weather!!!

Also, my apologies Dudley if it seems I may have hijacked this thread a bit here....
i5-2600K SB, 8GB Mushkin Redline, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, GTX 560 2GB, Saitek X52. Etch-A-Sketch hard wired to Speak-N-Spell backup system. Everything maxed and I see it ALL!

PZl Belfegor
Airman First Class

Post by PZl Belfegor »

I'm sorry for the delay, but finally I dare to call it finished :) I added some night lightning - it could be better, but it blends with the hangar sufficiently well.

There are two .bgl files in the pack - one is a library containing the sign model, the other one tells FS where to place it. It can be installed like any other addon scenery - after extracting, the folder "Hangar sign at KILG" can be placed in Addon Scenery folder and the added in the Flight Simulator scenery library (in case of trouble this or that tutorial may help). The sign is made of only two triangles and uses two 512x128 DXT1 texture sheets (one for sign and one for night lightning), so it shouldn't affect FPS. It is placed quite close to the hangar wall to avoid parallax error, but I didn't notice any undesirable flickering. The sign is compatible with DX10 preview mode. The hangar appears when the scenery slider is set at dense or more, and so does the sign.
Enough of the boring details, here is the download link ;)
http://www49.zippyshare.com/v/68962858/file.html (30 KB)
May it bring pleasant memories!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

PZl Belfegor wrote:I'm sorry for the delay, but finally I dare to call it finished :) I added some night lightning - it could be better, but it blends with the hangar sufficiently well.

There are two .bgl files in the pack - one is a library containing the sign model, the other one tells FS where to place it. It can be installed like any other addon scenery - after extracting, the folder "Hangar sign at KILG" can be placed in Addon Scenery folder and the added in the Flight Simulator scenery library (in case of trouble this or that tutorial may help). The sign is made of only two triangles and uses two 512x128 DXT1 texture sheets (one for sign and one for night lightning), so it shouldn't affect FPS. It is placed quite close to the hangar wall to avoid parallax error, but I didn't notice any undesirable flickering. The sign is compatible with DX10 preview mode. The hangar appears when the scenery slider is set at dense or more, and so does the sign.
Enough of the boring details, here is the download link ;)
http://www49.zippyshare.com/v/68962858/file.html (30 KB)
May it bring pleasant memories!
Thank you very much for doing this. I'll install it tonight.

I've always had an unanswered question about the FAX scenery library. It's about priorities. When you add a scenery using the ADD function in the library does it always go to priority 1 or is there a file in the scenery folders downloaded that tells FSX exactly where in the layer structure a specific scenery belongs? I'm assuming for example that a building or structure would have to be placed by FSX at a higher priority than the ground on which that structure is standing.
How does this work. I've always wondered ??? :-)))))))
Again, thanks for the sign and lighting. It's going to look just fine in there.
D

PZl Belfegor
Airman First Class

Post by PZl Belfegor »

The scenery that makes FS world is like an onion, composed of layers. The layers are different types, but all contain .bgl files and are added in FS scenery library. Some time ago I made a tutorial about this, but it's in Polish, yet the pictures may come in handy here ;)

Going from down to up, the different layers are:
- Mesh, a three dimensional relief of the ground:
- Landclass and waterclass, a grid that tells FS where to place what kind of ground texture:
"Raw" landclass can't be seen in the FS, but one can imagine it:
In FS we can see landclass and waterclass already covered with textures - thus the characteristic effect of repeating tiles that is obvious in some areas (of course, in FS there are no black grid lines and neighbouring textures are blended together a bit):
The textures are often mated with autogen objects, so the ground doesn't appear flat and lifeless:
The roads, lakes, rivers and similar features are vector objects - it allows to easily import data and recreate large areas in FS without using too much disk space.
- Finally, scenery objects (like the hangar or sign itself) are on top of the other elements:

The last added entry in FS scenery library takes priority 1, but it can by changed by using "move up" and "move down" buttons. You are right that scenery objects are drawn on top of landclass, which resides on top of the mesh. You could have your scenery objects set with lower priority than mesh and probably nothing bad would happen (though I'm not sure how objects with elevation defined as distance "above the ground" instead of "above mean sea level" would behave). The priorities play important role if you use two addons of the same type that affect the same area - should you use two meshes (for example default and some addon of better resolution), make sure the latter has higher priority or you would see the "old" mesh ;)

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

PZl Belfegor wrote:The scenery that makes FS world is like an onion, composed of layers. The layers are different types, but all contain .bgl files and are added in FS scenery library. Some time ago I made a tutorial about this, but it's in Polish, yet the pictures may come in handy here ;)

Going from down to up, the different layers are:
- Mesh, a three dimensional relief of the ground:
- Landclass and waterclass, a grid that tells FS where to place what kind of ground texture:
"Raw" landclass can't be seen in the FS, but one can imagine it:
In FS we can see landclass and waterclass already covered with textures - thus the characteristic effect of repeating tiles that is obvious in some areas (of course, in FS there are no black grid lines and neighbouring textures are blended together a bit):
The textures are often mated with autogen objects, so the ground doesn't appear flat and lifeless:
The roads, lakes, rivers and similar features are vector objects - it allows to easily import data and recreate large areas in FS without using too much disk space.
- Finally, scenery objects (like the hangar or sign itself) are on top of the other elements:

The last added entry in FS scenery library takes priority 1, but it can by changed by using "move up" and "move down" buttons. You are right that scenery objects are drawn on top of landclass, which resides on top of the mesh. You could have your scenery objects set with lower priority than mesh and probably nothing bad would happen (though I'm not sure how objects with elevation defined as distance "above the ground" instead of "above mean sea level" would behave). The priorities play important role if you use two addons of the same type that affect the same area - should you use two meshes (for example default and some addon of better resolution), make sure the latter has higher priority or you would see the "old" mesh ;)
This is great data. Thanks. Explains a lot.
My last bout with scenery turned into a disaster and I don't want to make the same mistake again. I was trying to get a simple scenery into FSX and ran into the infamous (have to click in the white area to get an OK) issue in Windows 7. Of course I didn't know about that at the time :-)) Somehow, fooling around between the FSX add on folder and the file library I managed to screw SOMETHING up. I still don't know what it was :-)) The result was when I rebooted FSX I got an error message saying that scenery area so in so couldn't be found. I think it was 115.
Having no idea what had happened I ended up having to reinstall FSX. I never did try to install scenery after that and this will be my first attempt.
I've found that when it comes to things like installing scenery, the slightest smallest detail missed or done in the wrong sequence can real cause problems. The Windows 7 glitch for example, must have caused millions of people in the community no end of hassle before some kind person figured out that without a click in the white area of the add on folder everything written about adding scenery was moot since the OK button wasn't available for the addition transfer.
Anyway...................I'm going to try it again tonight with our new sign. I'm still doing this as a rote function so wish me luck. :-)))
D

PZl Belfegor
Airman First Class

Post by PZl Belfegor »

Scenery errors can really become hindrance, though fortunately repairing the library in case of worst-case scenario shouldn't require more than adding the sceneries manually again to fresh scenery library list (usually it suffices to show FS new path to a moved scenery folder). The list of sceneries with folder paths and priorities is stored in scenery.cfg file - it can by backed up before tinkering with scenery library or hand edited to fix some errors, but it still isn't straightforward - FSX keeps few instances of scenery.cfg files, the active one is hidden (literally - enabling "show hidden folders" Windows setting is necessary to reach it) in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX folder. In FSX the scenery system is a bit better than it was in it's predecessor - in FS9, after adding the scenery to the library, the simulator had to be restarted, now sceneries can be added on the fly :)
Good luck, don't hesitate to ask in case of any problems!

new reply

Return to “Repainters”