Glamorous Gal (civ) Tire Treads

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
815KgM3
Airman Basic

Glamorous Gal (civ) Tire Treads

Post by 815KgM3 »

Hi folks, I hope I'm not repeating an existing topic...

I'm not sure if it's just my aircraft or not, but it looks like the civilian version of Glamorous Gal is supposed to have the straight grooved tarmac tires? Mine has the straight grooves and the diamond pattern showing on top of each other. The only reason why I noticed is because I want to try to learn how to do some repainting and editing and I've been looking at the tires on all of my aircraft. I would actually like to give all of my civilian P-51D's the straight grooved tires. Any info on how I could alleviate this issue with Glamorous Gal would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1SgtMajor
Staff Sergeant

Re: Glamorous Gal (civ) Tire Treads

Post by 1SgtMajor »

Howdy,

I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it......(smile)...........but I do know where the problem is..... had the same issue with the nose vents. (I like the straight vents....not the holes.......hey...it's after midnight and I forget what the official name for that is. (smile.))

In the "main" texture folder, there is a file called p51d_t_bump. The tire textures in the bump map folder are "hatched" instead of smooth. (That's where the problem is.....hopefully, Scott or someone other than a paint slinger like me can do a better fix.)

I copied the file......opened up my Photoshop and just removed the tire bump from the texture sheet. (You'll have to do the alpha channel also.)

When your finished........save the file to your Glamorous Gal texture folder (texture.Glamorous Gal) and your finished. (Currently in your texture.Glamorous Gal folder there should be 4 files. p51d_t.dds, p51d_t_spec.dds, texture.cfg & the Thumbnail.) When your finished, you will have added the edited file, P51d_t_bump.dds)

The Bump Map is what gives your aircraft the appearance of raised rivets etc., etc., etc., so removing the texture for the tire hatch, your tires will no longer have that effect., however, for me, that wasn't a big deal seeing how the tires are smooth pretty much anyway.

Eventually, I'll get around to making a new bump map texture....the edit more appropriately, however, for now, it will do.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Steve R.
SgtMajor, USMC (Retired)

ImageImageImage

cdfi
Senior Airman

Re: Glamorous Gal (civ) Tire Treads

Post by cdfi »

Just FYI:
In 2011, it had new tires with the diamond treads installed. So either type is correct, but not both at the same time. ;)

new reply

Return to “Repainters”