A2A P-51D Mustang Repaint Help

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
Bazzelbrush
Airman Basic

A2A P-51D Mustang Repaint Help

Post by Bazzelbrush »

Guys I've been doing repaints for near 15 years now, And I only just got the P-51. I was working on it yesterday and found useing DXTBMP and DDS converter my textures where coming out all blerrie.

So how can I stop this. What do I need to get it to work correctly?

I'm told I need photoshop and nvidia tools of some kind? But since I've got Jasc Photoshop and adobe photo shop. Whats this nvidia tools and where can I get it?

Or is there an easier way?

Regards Baz

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: A2A P-51D Mustang Repaint Help

Post by Norforce »

May be a good idea to look under Repainters and see the sticky thread

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 98&t=30524
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Sounds like you have MIPMAPs enabled. Turn them off for crisp sharp textures.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Bazzelbrush
Airman Basic

Post by Bazzelbrush »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Sounds like you have MIPMAPs enabled. Turn them off for crisp sharp textures.

thanks,
Lewis
thanks Lewis

Well I've installed Adobe photo shop as per a friend told me. And I've added the nvidia tool so I can do larger DDS files. Not sure on what I'm doing.. But when I save in Adobe via dds

What should I have it set on when the nvidia tool comes up? would you happen to know at all?

Cheers Baz

Ishigami
Airman First Class

Post by Ishigami »

You have several options to export the textures.
For a performance vs. quality trade off you would normally pick DXT5 compression. DXT5 has a compression ratio of 4:1.
I personally think DXT5 more often than not messes fine details and colour gradients up especially in lower resolution textures (e.g.1k texture tiles). So I'm not a big fan of that.
If you want to create uncompressed 32bit textures for maximum quality you would pick 8.8.8.8. ARGB bpp.
This of course will increase the texture size by 4 times compared to DXT5. Combine that with a 4k texture tile and you need a fairly powerful machine.

These are IMO the most useful modes for FSX.

Generate MIP maps should be checked. This will create lower resolution MIP maps to be used for LoD and lower graphic settings.
Of course you would select 2D texture in the pull down menu for general settings.

That's basically it. I never meddled with the other options. Seems to be stuff mostly for really advanced users.

new reply

Return to “Repainters”