P-51 Tail Serial number font attempt.

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

P-51 Tail Serial number font attempt.

Post by blackhawks »

I know JanKees has done this in the past, and he posted a .jpg in the mustang forum, but I wanted to see if a psd version would be worth it to anyone.

I studied WWII pictures, the JK example, and another pic of the font I found at S.O.H. Starting with the base font: RAF_45D_841ATH.ttf , I've come up with this:
Obviously, two different styles of the "5."
I've taken this and saved it as a psd file. You can drag the layer and drop right into the paintkit. Again, not sure if this is just overkill, but maybe someone will find it useful. Mountainhighair and I have been talking about turning something like this into a .ttf font by its self. Not sure if/when he or I, or someone else will figure that out.

Here's the link to the psd if anyone wants to try it: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/91409118/P-51%20font.psd

This is pretty close in my mind, but I'm not claiming this is historically accurate.
Last edited by blackhawks on 07 Aug 2012, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
-mike

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: P-51 Tail Serial number font attempt.

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great stuff blackhawks, thanks for the work 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Post by mountainhighair »

"AmarilloUSAF" is a good font for most stenciling. Do a google search for it and you will surely find it. Many years ago Jankees and I traded emails and he sent me his examples of number stencils and I made a set of "clip art" for Paintshop Pro that I use. I believe he uses Photoshop if I remember right. I can send my clip arts to anyone in PSD form if you message me and trade emails. AmarilloUSAF gets the job done for the small stuff. Stencils varied so much throughout WW2, even just on US aircraft. Many of them have to be custom-made in your graphics software. I am posting the image below to show AmarilloUSAF, and also my clip arts. Right-click the image to save, and use that to make your own, or just email me for the layered graphics I created. The numeral "1" was especially difficult to create.

I'll have to look into creating a font again. I seem to remember I researched it and came up empty. That was 3 years ago. I'll look into it again.

Thank Jankees for my image as well. He helped me come up with my clip arts a few years ago. JK is the dude.

John

matt_smith
Senior Airman

Post by matt_smith »

I use a font called USAAF_Serial_Stencil. Can't remember where I downloaded it from but it was a free font.

Found A link to the font http://www.fontpalace.com/font-download ... l_Stencil/

dafraz48
Airman First Class

Post by dafraz48 »

All good fonts for our repaints. I managed to get a copy of the AmarilloPro, it's actually meh, has some different styled numbers in it and what not but I prefer the non Pro one.

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Post by mountainhighair »

Here is another good stencil font:

octin stencil rg

http://www.1001fonts.com/octin-stencil-free-font.html

new reply

Return to “Repainters”