Question for the experienced painters

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
budmorgan
Staff Sergeant

Question for the experienced painters

Post by budmorgan »

I'm looking to do my first repaint - I've tinkered with the paintkit and I understand the layers etc... My question is:

How do you typically go about recreating nose art? I.e. the drawings/fonts? Is it best to "trace" over a picture?

I'm definitely a newb when it comes to this stuff, so any and all tips are welcome. I'm using the latest version of GIMP.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Bud
Buddy Morgan

ImageImageImage

i5 2500k - Asus P8P67 Pro - G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB - EVGA GTX 570 Fermi

Baron58
Senior Airman

Re: Question for the experienced painters

Post by Baron58 »

Hi Bud,
One key skill to learn for creating nose art from a picture is how to "lift" the subject off the image making it's background transparent i.e. creating a mask or alpha channel.  It's easy if the background is a solid colour but that's usually not the case.  In Photoshop I trace around the shape carefully with the path tool then convert the path to a selection.  Save the selection as an alpha channel and that will allow you to paste the shape, without the unwanted background, into a new layer of the paint kit.  I think Gimp may do this process differently from Photoshop.
This link seems to describe Gimp alpha creation:

http://vendiadev.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/hello-world/

Hope that helps!

Ted

budmorgan
Staff Sergeant

Post by budmorgan »

Thank you Ted! I'm working on one right now that I think everyone will like! I'll post some previews of the Nose once I get her going!

Cheers!

Bud
Buddy Morgan

ImageImageImage

budmorgan
Staff Sergeant

Post by budmorgan »

Baron58 wrote:Hi Bud,
One key skill to learn for creating nose art from a picture is how to "lift" the subject off the image making it's background transparent i.e. creating a mask or alpha channel.  It's easy if the background is a solid colour but that's usually not the case.  In Photoshop I trace around the shape carefully with the path tool then convert the path to a selection.  Save the selection as an alpha channel and that will allow you to paste the shape, without the unwanted background, into a new layer of the paint kit.  I think Gimp may do this process differently from Photoshop.
This link seems to describe Gimp alpha creation:

http://vendiadev.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/hello-world/

Hope that helps!

Ted
Hey Ted - I think I've had a little success... Here's how far I've gotten on my first repaint ever: "La Pistolera"... Obviously very very early, getting accurate graphics in hi enough res was my biggest worry... Please let me know your thoughts! (and I'm sure I'll be bugging everyone for the "chrome look"!

[Image

Cheers!

Bud
Buddy Morgan

ImageImageImage

Baron58
Senior Airman

Post by Baron58 »

Hi Bud,
Apologies for only just getting back to you on this. That noseart you did looks great! I don't have the P51 yet, but when I do, I'll be downloading your paints!
:)
Ted

new reply

Return to “Repainters”