Question for Font experts

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Question for Font experts

Post by pilottj »

Hey guys, I have been asked to do an airshow version repaint of 'Denver Belle' and I would like to know what kind of font is used for the plane's nose art...'DENVER BELLE' I am not a font expert so any guesses?

John Terrel did this scheme back for the original WOP Mustang.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Re: Question for Font experts

Post by mountainhighair »

I'm running Windows 7 and have a couple of fonts that would work in combination with each other. The crossbar in the "B" is slightly angled, and my font JasmineUPC has that. The foot of the "R" looks to be curved on both the top and bottom (hard to tell) and my Constantia font has that. For the rest of it Angsana New of AngsanaUPC looks pretty good if you play around with bold or normal. If you don't have these you might be able to google them. I can't remember where I got all my fonts.

Another way to create bold fonts of varying degrees is to lay down the characters on a layer, then do a drop-shadow or multiple drop-shadows to build it up to the proper boldness.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

It looks like some standardised modern stuff, like new times roman. I'd just use something like that as a base, then just rasterize the layer and hand edit it for any extra curves etc that need rubbing out.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Thanks guys,
The fellow requesting the scheme would like it to be Stencil font, so that takes care of that. However after I do his scheme I will have a 364th nose art template going. I will likely do Lucky Lady VII (D-FP51) based in Germany.

Mountainhighair and Lewis, mind if I trouble you for another font ID? Any guesses on Lucky Lady's nose art?

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Post by mountainhighair »

Cursive fonts are impossible to duplicate exactly with stock fonts. You should just do what Lewis suggested. I always create graphics at 150-200% oversize then reduce them while placing. Makes it easier to work with and hides a lot of sins. It's an old-school pre-computer technique. This is probably what everyone here does.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes, for the Lucky lady I would either use the pen tool in photoshop and then stroke the drawn path, or carefully hand draw it. In fact best results for my personally would be a mix of the two
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot. Almost done with Denver Belle.

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

If the photo is large enough I would just steal it from the photo, clean it up, resize it and layer it on.
Paul Grubich 2018
Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

new reply

Return to “Repainters”