P-40 AVG Repaint request

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
BalloonFish
Airman Basic

P-40 AVG Repaint request

Post by BalloonFish »

Would anyone be kind enough to knock up an AVG P-40?

I'd like to have a Tomahawk representing each AVG squadron - the 3rd is in the pack 'as is' and there's Greg Boyington's #21 from the 1st, which I think was done by someone on this forum. But there's no 2nd squadron plane.

My repaint experience don't extend beyond simple .pngs and my computer (and my copy of paint.net) lacks the guts to open and/or work with the all-in-one P-40 paint kit. I've been trying to learn how to use GIMP but it's been a struggle. I've been working on recreating Bert Christman's plane, #54 P8128, which was one of the 'blue-lipped' sharks and seems to have also had a green (or primer?) spinner. I found a freeware repaint from somewhere and knocked something together:

but the camoflague pattern is wrong (the one from A2A and in the paint kit is the correct one) and it has the the Flying Tiger mascot which didn't reach Burma while Christman was there. I've also since found that none of the 2nd Sqd P-40s had pilot name markings or 'pinwheel' wheel centres. Although it looks OK in the screenshot my effort with the fuselage number isn't good - it's flat, unweathered, untextured grey and isn't the right size or 'font'.

So would someone who's good with Photoshop be willing to knock up a blue-lipped 2nd Sqd #54 on the correct camo? Or #36 P8123, which was Ed Rector's 'blue-eyed, blue-lipped' machine?

patful
Master Sergeant

Re: P-40 AVG Repaint request

Post by patful »

BalloonFish wrote:my computer (and my copy of paint.net) lacks the guts to open and/or work with the all-in-one P-40 paint kit.
My painting skills suck as well, so I won't volunteer to help. But I've always found paint.net much easier to use than GIMP. Here's a link to a handy PSD plugin for paint.net, works very well with A2A paintkits: https://www.psdplugin.com/

BalloonFish
Airman Basic

Post by BalloonFish »

patful wrote:
BalloonFish wrote:my computer (and my copy of paint.net) lacks the guts to open and/or work with the all-in-one P-40 paint kit.
My painting skills suck as well, so I won't volunteer to help. But I've always found paint.net much easier to use than GIMP. Here's a link to a handy PSD plugin for paint.net, works very well with A2A paintkits: https://www.psdplugin.com/
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I've already tried that plugin. The problem is that my computer doesn't have the memory for paint.net to open the P-40 paintkit in all its glory (apparently it needs enough memory to open the complete file 'as is', plus a bitmap to composite the image plus spare space to store a complete second version of the entire image for the undo/redo function). I tried opening the kit in GIMP, deleting all the layers I wasn't going to use, resaving it as a PSD and then seeing if paint.net could cope with it, but no joy.

GIMP is less of a memory-hog but I just can't get to grips with it. It's a shame because I'd find this easy enough to do in paint.net - the 'slot-n-slide' layers in the paintkit would make it a breeze once I worked out how to break up the result into the individual sections and deal with the alpha layers. But no. Which is why I've hoped someone with better skills, a better computer and some spare time will take pity on me!

Fastback
Airman First Class

Post by Fastback »

Is this kinda what you were looking for?

BalloonFish
Airman Basic

Post by BalloonFish »

Sorry, I haven't looked at this thread for a while - that looks perfect!

I've been plugging away on the Christman plane too, mostly by extracting individual layers from the paint kit in GIMP and then working on them in paint.net, then combining them back in GIMP! Slow and tedious, but it (sort of works). I had to do some of the camouflage bits by hand and there are some alpha/spec issues too but the overall effect is getting there. I need to work on the ID number.

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

I just finished nrs 21, 48 and 75, see the P-40 thread..
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

I added a few more:
Imagejk8241

ImageAVG21

Imagejk8246

ImageAVG48

Imagejk8321

ImageAVG75

How's this for a collection, or do you want more?

BalloonFish
Airman Basic

Post by BalloonFish »

Wow, I don't visit the thread for a few days and I come back to a bounty!
jcblom wrote:I added a few more:

How's this for a collection, or do you want more?
I would never turn down more AVG sharks, but I think you can be very satisfied with that collection. I know I am! Great work, especially the details like the torn-off decals and the hastily-painted-over ID numbers under the cockpit sides. Thank you very much.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Cracking stuff peoples, beautiful! 8) 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Thank you! These are all great. I downloaded #3 and flew it from Catalina Island to LA, where I flew it under a bridge. P-40s are so bada**!

Seeya
ATB

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Annnnnnnnnnd my P-40 just grew by a Large amount. Thankyou peoples for the large extension :mrgreen: 8)

cheers,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

uploading next weekend:
Imagejk8659

probably with #47 as a companion

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

first shot of #47:
Imagejk8706

new reply

Return to “Repainters”