Aircraft engine not starting

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Aleckss
Airman Basic

Aircraft engine not starting

Post by Aleckss »

I am following the correct procedures listed in the "shift +" pages for the startup and have also referred to the manual. But the engine will not startup. Once the Starter is engaged i count the props and then turn both magnetos on and add a bit of primer and throttle but nothing happens.

Any advice?
Image Image

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Aircraft engine not starting

Post by DHenriques_ »

Aleckss wrote:I am following the correct procedures listed in the "shift +" pages for the startup and have also referred to the manual. But the engine will not startup. Once the Starter is engaged i count the props and then turn both magnetos on and add a bit of primer and throttle but nothing happens.

Any advice?
You use the primer on the Mustang BEFORE turning the prop over.
Try;
Mixture in ICO
Throttle cracked 1/2/ inch
1. prime 3 seconds
2. Starter, count 6 blades
3. Mags to BOTH
(If engine doesn't start, continue the primer in 2 second on/off sequence)
4. When engine starts, Mixture to RUN

Dudley Henriques

Aleckss
Airman Basic

Post by Aleckss »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
Aleckss wrote:I am following the correct procedures listed in the "shift +" pages for the startup and have also referred to the manual. But the engine will not startup. Once the Starter is engaged i count the props and then turn both magnetos on and add a bit of primer and throttle but nothing happens.

Any advice?
Try;
Mixture in ICO
1. prime 3 seconds
3. Mags to BOTH

Dudley Henriques

Still no luck, the engine just keeps turning. Occasionally one piston fires but nothing else happens. I have to use the auto-start which really removes the immersion.
Image Image

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Aleckss wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:

Any advice?
Try;
Mixture in ICO
1. prime 3 seconds
3. Mags to BOTH

Dudley Henriques

Still no luck, the engine just keeps turning. Occasionally one piston fires but nothing else happens. I have to use the auto-start which really removes the immersion.
I know it sounds stupid to ask but you DO have the fuel shutoff selector to ON and the tank selector on a tank with fuel in it, and the fuel boost pump ON?

DH

Aleckss
Airman Basic

Post by Aleckss »

Try;
Mixture in ICO
1. prime 3 seconds
3. Mags to BOTH

Dudley Henriques[/quote]

Still no luck, the engine just keeps turning. Occasionally one piston fires but nothing else happens. I have to use the auto-start which really removes the immersion.[/quote]

I know it sounds stupid to ask but you DO have the fuel shutoff selector to ON and the tank selector on a tank with fuel in it, and the fuel boost pump ON?

DH[/quote]

Shutoff on, Selector on left because of feedback and pump on. its not stupid it may have genuinely be something I missed :)
Image Image

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Aleckss wrote:You use the primer on the Mustang BEFORE turning the prop over.
Try;
Mixture in ICO
1. prime 3 seconds
3. Mags to BOTH

Dudley Henriques

Still no luck, the engine just keeps turning. Occasionally one piston fires but nothing else happens. I have to use the auto-start which really removes the immersion.[/quote]

DH[/quote]

Shutoff on, Selector on left because of feedback and pump on. its not stupid it may have genuinely be something I missed :)[/quote]

Could be the throttle calibration. Try a normal starting procedure with the throttle forward about an inch more than you have it now.
Does the engine start using the auto start method?
Have you checked everything in the maintenance hangar. Try an overhaul then try it again.
DH

Aleckss
Airman Basic

Post by Aleckss »

Could be the throttle calibration. Try a normal starting procedure with the throttle forward about an inch more than you have it now.
Does the engine start using the auto start method?
Have you checked everything in the maintenance hangar. Try an overhaul then try it again.
DH[/quote]

Right i got the engine to start after a few times but now the flaps wont raise. I set them to up even before the battery is on which is what the checklist says but they dont rise once i have power :/
Image Image

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Aleckss wrote:Right i got the engine to start after a few times but now the flaps wont raise.
Good to hear you're mastering the engine start technique with Dudley's help. :)

What reading is the hydraulic pressure gauge showing? My money would be on it reading '0' because the red 'T'-shaped handle next to the fuel selector is still pulled out. If so try pushing this lever in: when pulled out it releases the pressure in the hydraulic system which will mean the flaps won't work.

Thanks,
Nick

Aleckss
Airman Basic

Post by Aleckss »

Nick - A2A wrote:
Aleckss wrote:Right i got the engine to start after a few times but now the flaps wont raise.

What reading is the hydraulic pressure gauge showing? My money would be on it reading '0' because the red 'T'-shaped handle next to the fuel selector is still pulled out. If so try pushing this lever in: when pulled out it releases the pressure in the hydraulic system which will mean the flaps won't work.

Thanks,
Nick
You’re a legend sir. Thank you very much :) and thank you too Dudley :)
Image Image

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Aleckss wrote:
Nick - A2A wrote:

Thanks,
Nick
You’re a legend sir. Thank you very much :) and thank you too Dudley :)
f some

No sweat. Glad to help out.

On that Fairing Door Release. What I used to do with that was to push it in during my left to right flow before engine start. Raising the flap handle up then pushing in the Release would cause the flaps to come up as the engine started and hydraulic pressure rises in the system.
DH

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”