How persistent is the P51?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Zacke
Staff Sergeant

How persistent is the P51?

Post by Zacke »

Hey guys,

came back to the civilian P51 after years and felt in love again with this wonderfull monster. :P

I'm wondering what exactly is saved in the A2A log files besides fluid levels and wear of the various system components.

As far as I know switch positions aren't saved. So I tend to hit the cold and dark button every time I enter the cockpit. What exactly does that reset besides the switch positions? Does it reset dillution level or things like that?

It seems the engine temperatures are saved as well. I thought engine temperature cool down while sim's not running is a feature that came up with the C172. Is it now included within the Mustang, too?

Thanks in advance,
Zacke

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: How persistent is the P51?

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Zacke,

rather than use cold and dark that will reset you to cold and dark, you can save the flight. Just make sure you dont save it as default.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Lewis, thanks for your fast reply.

Why not as default flight? I use not to use the start screen of FSX but let it always automatically load my last flight I saved as default. Doesn't that work?

Could you please explain what stuff is saved by A2A besides the standard FSX flt.

Thanks again,
Zacke

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Ok. Now I've found a lot of other threads converning this saving things.

But it's still not quite clear to me. What happens if I save my P51 flight as default flight start up with this next time?

Thanks,
Zacke

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

You get unpredictable behaviour.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

So am I on the save side when I do the following: Not saving after a flight with the P51 and with the next fsx start setting up a complete fresh flight (with standard aircraft) and then - when fsx is completely started - I choose the P51? So I don't have any strange behaviour?
It's not so important for me to having the switches in the exactly same position as I left them in the last flight. Important for me is it behaves as it should and the system persistance is given: fluids, wear, (temperatures), oil dillution level etc. Doesn't matter for me to create a complete new environement and then setting in the persistant Mustang.
So am I right here?

If I've got that right with Lewis I could indeed save the P51's flight and start that again (with cockpit persistance)? What's the exact procedure here?

Sorry for the maybe annoying questions but I really want to understand what's going on under the hood.

Zacke

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Just for clarification: Hitting "cold & dark" or using "auto cold & dark" does reset my switches, levers, wheel chocks etc. to c & d (let's say: me crew chief does that for me). But it doesn't influence engine temperatures, oil dilution levels or anything else in conjunction with the simulated persistance since last flight?

Thanks in advance,
Zacke

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Zake: I have a pretty bad-a$$ computer, a 2016 "loaded" Jetline, specifically built up for flight sim. I use it for consulting work, also, which is how I got the bux to buy it when my old Dell died. Now I have P3D v4.5, loads of ORBX scenery, and Active Sky 4. I fly A2A's P-40, Spitfire, Civ P-51, Spitfire, T-6, Connie, Comanche, and the Bonanza. Can't wait for the J-3 to come out for P3D.

I figured by new PC was so great, that all those warnings by A2A folks to NOT load the flight sim with an A2A aircraft didn't apply to my computer. Only anomaly that I noticed was that I like to run my PC on the ULTRA resolution setting in the P3D menu, but it would always change to HIGH when I loaded the flight sim direct with an A2A aircraft. Hmm. I tried loading the standard, default scenario (F-22 at some airbase in the Southern USA) and then, once the scenario was running, hit the Alt key and loaded a scenario with an A2A aircraft. HEY! My ULTRA setting didn't change!

My theory for why you are not supposed to start FSX or P3D with an A2A aircraft is because A2A aircraft characteristics are set by some "special A2A tech" in addition to the usual aircraft.cfg, etc., and this special A2A Accusim stuff needs to be applied to a fully operating flight sim in order to function correctly.

Typically I fly my A2A aircraft out of Arlington Airport in Washington State (KAWO). I always start P3D with a default aircraft at a non-ORBX airport, usually the standard Maule Rocket parked at Pangborn airport in Wenatchee, WA (KEAT). ULTRA setting stays at ULTRA, and no other anomalies have been noted. Sometimes, after P3D is running, I simply change the Maule to an A2A warbird or GA aircraft, other times I load a scenario, such as "Spitfire at KAWO," or "P-40 at KHAF," and go from there. I don't use Cold and Dark, as I have found that engine temps on the A2A birds seems to approach ambient gradually, depending upon how long they are parked. No prime needed on the Mustang if you're just having a burger at Lena's at KHQM on a summer afternoon.

All my A2A aircraft have starting scenarios at KAWO and KHAF, two of my favorite airports. The usual startup scenario for my A2A Connie is on the ramp at Boeing Field (KBFI). Also, each of the aircraft that I usually fly have a "[Aircraft name] on another adventure," which is where I've ended up after some epic flight. Right now both my Comanche and Bonanza are sitting at KBLU, and I'm not sure where the other ones are at right now, but sometimes it's fun to load one I haven't flown in a while and find out where it's at.

The only non-A2A aircraft I fly are my MJ C-47 and lately, the Grumman Goose freeware, both of those birds with Accu-Feel. I have found that either of those can be loaded directly, just like the F-22 or the Maule and P3D works fine. Right now my C-47 is sitting at Juanda (WARR), waiting for me to begin flight 22B of this epic London to Sydney rally put on by Bluegrass Airlines. After each flight I gas my C-47 (full mains, 50% aux), load the next flight plan, and then save it in a good parking spot at the destination as "C-47 on rally."

So, IMHO, just save your flight in the P-51 normally (use the [;] key) and don't sweat the cold and dark stuff. Remember to always check your carb air control, fuel control shutoff, etc. Also, one strange thing that gave me trouble was the audio switch panel. Make sure the second button from the left is pressed in, or your radio won't work.

Happy landings!
ATB

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”