P-51D Military and Civilian Takeoff Issue

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Flyby94
Airman

Post by Flyby94 »

So before take off I set the trims . I set 5 right rudder and 4 + elevator . As I throttle up during takeoff, the aircraft starts going to the left as if I have full left rudder. However, the pedals and stick are moving accordingly unlike the gauge shows. The cockpit indicator shows input to the left. The result causes me to abort every time as I have no idea what is wrong. It is not a stick or pedal issue Though the T-6,Spitfire and B-17 do not have that issue that the Mustang does. If I do a forced takeoff and get above 280 knots the aircraft will fly normal and land normal. But once I try to depart again, Same issue. Wont go straight. Brakes are also not the issue.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Re: P-51D Military and Civilian Takeoff Issue

Post by flapman »

What "gauge" are you referencing?
What "cockpit indicator" are you referring to?
You must still apply right rudder even with the rudder trim correctly set. The trim setting is intended for almost zero rudder application at climb speed with climb power set. At nearly 0 KIAS with takeoff power set the left turning tendency must be corrected by pilot action.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I think looking in the cockpit to gauge what kind, and how much of which control input needs to be made is a mistake. All your clues for rudder input are given by what you see the aircraft doing as you move down the runway.

Fast throttle movements early in the takeoff ( well, anytime during the takeoff) will also get you in trouble very quickly and make a stabilized takeoff roll very difficult to achieve.

I think almost every one of us sim pilots finds themselves in the weeds at first. The link to these tutorials by Dudley Henriques was reposted last week, but here it is again because it’s just a really good resource to have at hand:

Mustang Flying Tips (from Dudley Henriques)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

maddz
Senior Airman

Post by maddz »

Have you ran the latest accu-sim update?

I had a problem with my p51, where the rudder was visually moving but having no effect on the aircraft...i could only turn with the diffrential brakes. Same once airbourne, no effect.

after i ran the update, problem solved.

Flyby94
Airman

Post by Flyby94 »

Hi guys , sorry for the late reply , I have installed the update. I am going to try to take a video and post a pic as well to help show the issue. I know how to fly a mustang as well as a T-6 as I often actually fly the T-6

Flyby94
Airman

Post by Flyby94 »

Well the site won’t let me upload a photo but it’s the turn gage .- stick is completely in my control as is the rudder and yet the aircraft on take off roll wants to start a turn to the left .

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Are you able to taxi successfully, both with locked and unlocked tail wheel?
From an external view, is the rudder moving as expected?
If so, it's 99.99999% too much power causing the plane to turn left.
Cheers
Trev

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

The turn coordinator does not display control positions... the needle on that gauge has nothing to do with what direction the rudder is pointing.

Turning to the left is normal operation for this type of aircraft, it is your job to learn how to handle it. You paid A2A money so their excellent product could teach you this lesson, which is severely lacking in other aircraft. The Packard-Merlin produces 1,700 horsepower for takeoff at sea level. You must manage that power.

Your job on takeoff is to keep the nose of the aircraft pointing straight down the runway, and on the center line. You must apply whatever control inputs needed, in whatever amount required, to get this job done. It's not an impossible job, but it takes practice.

You set 6 degrees of right rudder trim to help you with this task.

The trim tabs do not fly the airplane.

You do.

Flyby94
Airman

Post by Flyby94 »

Ground operation is great. Like I said prior , I am well aware on how to operate a Mustang. Let me say it in a different way. As I sit on the runway throttle back, I slowly move the throttle forward. Trim is set to its takeoff position. As I slowly move the throttle forward I start rolling down the center line. At 50 knots I start to drift off centerline as if I am holding left pedal(Turn gauge registers a left turn and turns tighter as I put a few inches in the throttle) . As I hold full right rudder pedal to correct the rudder moves right as it should However, the aircraft continues to pull left as I gain speed. I have tested it during a forced take off where I get airborne and about 250 knots it flies fine. I have downloaded the update. Before i downloaded it, I had no issue once so ever. All the other A2A aircraft I have do not have that issue . In the real world, I often fly the T-6. I have pics to show what Im talking about but the website will not let me upload them. I am wondering If I should uninstall the update for the Mustang as it was perfect before.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Hi

Have a look here to see happy to post pictures: https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 23&t=50279
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Flyby94
Airman

Post by Flyby94 »

Thanks I’ll do that when I get a moment ! Thanks for your help guys !

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Flyby,

Go into your sim files, find the P-51 and delete the update file. Run the updater again and see if that fixes your issue.

Flyby94
Airman

Post by Flyby94 »

Thanks will give it a try ! Appreciate all the help guys !

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Hello Flyby,
My best suggestion is to be patient and keep at it. It seems every month or so a new Mustang pilot is having the same issue as you. When they stick with it the satisfaction of mastering this fine Warbird is exhilarating :shock: . It takes masterful feet on the pedales to keep her straight on takeoff but practice will prevail.

On the other hand, there is always that chance that something is dorked up on your install but 99% of the time it simply comes down to the need for lots of practice. 8)

Good Luck Sir and hang in there

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Flyby94
Airman

Post by Flyby94 »

Well guys, I did not figure out the issue but I fixed what ever it was. I re downloaded the P-51/accusim and did not reinstall the update for it. The P-51 is back to the way it was. No issues. I have no idea what caused it but I really appreciate the help guys. Thank you all.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”