"Update" does not update

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
kiwi392
Airman

"Update" does not update

Post by kiwi392 »

I downloaded the updater (A2A_Update_10_12_17.EXE) in an attempt to fix the issues I have, but there are issues with it, as follows:
- it HANGS saying that the process is running (see attached image) .. I kill the process using task manager - and the updates proceed ...
- once the update process is complete, the computer is restarted and the update process re-run: The new version that was supposedly installed previously, was not.

All the old issues with the P51D are still present

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: "Update" does not update

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Go to \A2A\P51\Update folder and delete the 'client.wyc' file. Run the updater then again as a system administrator, and let us know how it goes.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Fragmentum
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fragmentum »

This sounds like the problem I was having with the B-377 in that the 'meals on' and 'meals off' function in the sim was not appearing after an update was run. I had several PM's with Lewis trying to get that function to appear.

I had run the updater several times and at one point, Lewis even sent me the complete B-377 install file. His instructions were pretty vague until he finally asked if I had deleted the old update files. He was referring to what he called the 'leftover' files without actually providing the 'path' to these 'leftover' files, so it was still confusing.

I have searched and could not find an explanation of how to actually prepare our FSX sim to run these updater files provided by A2A, and I think a set of instructions is sorely needed by our community to correctly prepare the sim to run the updater, then delete the correct updated files...

So, is the 'client.wyc' file the ONLY old file that needs to be removed BEFORE running the next new updater?
i5-2600K SB, 8GB Mushkin Redline, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, GTX 560 2GB, Saitek X52. Etch-A-Sketch hard wired to Speak-N-Spell backup system. Everything maxed and I see it ALL!

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

No, the client.wyc file only needs to be deleted if on uninstalls the add-on and then re-installs it.

The update instructions are pretty darn simple.

Download
Unzip
Run .exe
Enjoy!
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

kiwi392
Airman

Post by kiwi392 »

LZ-WIL wrote:Hi,

Go to \A2A\P51\Update folder and delete the 'client.wyc' file. Run the updater then again as a system administrator, and let us know how it goes.

Cheerz,
Will
Done. No change to the status quo.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Can you give us more details on your sim (fsx, fsx:steam p3d) and your platform? Do you get any error from the systems beside it just freezing?
Also make sure to run the updater as system Administrator!

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

kiwi392
Airman

Post by kiwi392 »

LZ-WIL wrote:Can you give us more details on your sim (fsx, fsx:steam p3d) and your platform?
FSX SE.
My PC Spec :
Windows 10
32 GB of memory
SSD hard drive
Dual Radeon R9 200 graphics cards
LZ-WIL wrote:Do you get any error from the systems beside it just freezing?
No.
LZ-WIL wrote:Also make sure to run the updater as system Administrator!
Definitely.

Tim

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi, from your initial post I understand that, you managed to install the update, at least not from the first attempt. Correct?
What are the issues you have with the Mustang on the other hand?

Cheerz,
Will

kiwi392
Airman

Post by kiwi392 »

LZ-WIL wrote:
Hi, from your initial post I understand that, you managed to install the update, at least not from the first attempt. Correct?
What are the issues you have with the Mustang on the other hand?

Cheerz,
Will
The update has never installed ... it completes ok, but when I rerun the update installer,
It tells me that the version installed is still version 1, and not the latest version (1.18)

The mustang is unusable, causing the entire PC to freeze for up to 20 seconds at a time.

Many of the standard FSX keys do not work ... as an example G for gear up.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi kiwi392,

Has the Mustang installed without any issues initially? Does the updater find the correct path where your A2A planes are installed? Double check that.
Honestly said I don't see any reason for the updater to freeze, once it is run with admin rights. I hope A2A team reps. and other team members will come up with any other check or solution that I am missing at the moment.

Cheerz,
Will

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Tim,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties with the P-51. I've had a read through both your threads and the issues you're describing certainly seem to be unusual. :?

Is FSX-SE itself shut down when you install the update? If not, I wonder if that could be one explanation for the problems you're describing.

Also, do you have any antivirus/firewall software which may be interfering with the installation and update process? I think with high-profile threats from chip hacks such as Meltdown and Spectre, more intrusive AV protection is likely to be the norm.

Finally, you mentioned an image above. If you can attach a screenshot it may be helpful in getting to the bottom of this one. There are some tips on how to do so here.

Thanks,
Nick

kiwi392
Airman

Post by kiwi392 »

Nick M wrote: Is FSX-SE itself shut down when you install the update? If not, I wonder if that could be one explanation for the problems you're describing.
Yes, FSX-SE is shut down. Installs are done on a newly restarted machine, with nothing running.
Nick M wrote:Also, do you have any antivirus/firewall software which may be interfering with the installation and update process? I think with high-profile threats from chip hacks such as Meltdown and Spectre, more intrusive AV protection is likely to be the norm.
Firewall is turned off. Updater downloads and unzips just fine.
Nick M wrote: Finally, you mentioned an image above. If you can attach a screenshot it may be helpful in getting to the bottom of this one. There are some tips on how to do so here.
It just shows the updater error message

Thanks,
Tim

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

can you please delete the update folder;
Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\A2A\P51

Re-download the updater and re-run it as admin (right click seclect run as Admin). Making sure no anti-malware software on your computer is preventing it from running.

How long do you leave it when you say it hangs?
Have you checked via alt-tabbing as it does sound like you exited mid process and there is probably a dialog box hidden behind one of the windows.

Please can you run the latest Direct X9c here to make sure you have the relevant Direct X9 files;
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... x?id=34429

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”