Parking brake does not engage

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I raised this in an old post that Thomas Linnet started about problems with the P-51. Lewis suggested I move it out here so it might get more input.

The problem is really simple...when I install the P-51 Accusim package, but before I run the update, I have a working parking brake. It even has noises like creaking and ratcheting and a pop when the toe brakes are pressed to release it.

After I run the update, I have no parking brake, and there is no sound when the toe brakes are pressed, and no sound when I pull out the parking brake lever.

The strange thing is, just a few weeks ago, the P-51 had a parking brake that worked.

I uninstalled the few aircraft I have and FSX (since it is the Steam version and reinstalling it is a breeze) just prior to taking the computer in for a cleaning and maintenance.

Stranger still is my recollection that, in the past installation, the Accusim P51 did not initially have a parking brake that worked, but gained one that did after one of the updates.

Any ideas or comments are welcome

Just so we're all on the same page: the order of installation was:

P-51 base pack
Accusim for P-51
Core update.

The computer was shutdown and started, FSX was run and the P-51 was loaded after each phase of the installation.

I have a CH yoke and CH pedals which work fine with every aircraft in my small collection. Just no parking brake with the P-51!

JP

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Re: Parking brake does not engage

Post by flapman »

I don't use rudder pedals, so my initial suspicion is that you problem lies there. I know from experience that both pedals must be fully pressed before the parking brake valve will hold pressure. Can you verify that the axis for each toe brake have their full range of travel? Try setting the parking brake by first pressing the period key on your keyboard, and waiting until both pedals in the VC stop moving... before pulling the parking brake lever. Does the parking brake engage when you try this?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

How are you activating the parking brake does the keyboard command work and as flapman mentions if your pedals have any noise that could be knocking your parking brake off the instant its activated.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hi guys, I never considered noisy pedals because the brakes worked fine with the pedals before the uninstall...and they worked fine with the accusim version that was not updated! I used the keypad to set the brakes and they set fine! So, I'm left with noisy pedals..or pedals that need to be re-configured. I thought I had that mastered last night, but I'll need to revisit the process. Somehow, I also had 8032 files in FSX SE that did not validate after the fresh re-install! That might need looking into as well.
Thanks Flapman and Lewis, I do appreciate your ideas and assisstance!

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

If it worked in a previous version, and this issue started because of a fresh install of FSX:SE, then my next suspicion is that the FSX axis sliders have reverted to their default values. It's been a long time, but if I remember they do not allow full deflection by default.
Check that next.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Sensitivity full right, null zone full left is correct, yes? That's where they are.

I'm done jousting on this one... I overlooked (missed) the key combination to set the P-brake when I tried to find it previously, so I greatly appreciate you pointing out that it does exist! In FSX-SE it is ctrl+period, which works really well! What is strange is that it never used to load with the parking brakes set...but now it does!

I also spent sometime adjusting the pedals in the control manager. Still no spikes even though they are quite old.

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Remember settings can come from the default flight, sounds like you might have parking brakes set to on in the default flight.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

That's a good point- I'll check today.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Just quickly following up..in FSX settings under "controls", my sensitivity settings for all pedal functions had reverted back to the middle, rather than full right as they were when I last left them. I was trying to taxi out from parking and the brakes were making a great racket despite having calibrated in generous null zones. I moved the sliders back to full right again, the brakes function correctly...and the parking brake works beautifully!

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”