This is an odd one!

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

This is an odd one!

Post by Ron Attwood »

I'll post this in here simply because I was flying a P-51 at the time.
Scenario. Flying along in Australia in my P-51 military when suddenly I get a black screen! Sim is still running in the background. I hit ALT+Enter and see a flash of my cockpit. Someone suggests go to outside view.(we're online) I can then see my aircraft as per normal but the controllers no longer work. The aircraft is in a downward facing left bank heading for disaster. I have the desperate idea of going to the hanger to check it out.(Still heading for Mother Earth. Fortunately I was at a healthy altitude when this started)
The hangar revealed I had a damaged left undercarriage so I repaired it and saw, behind the hangar UI my plane react to controller input and only just in time!
I closed the hangar UI and carried on my flight but having to have a very large Scotch to settle my nerves!
I've never experienced anything quite like that before, although I have had damaged U/C and paid the price.
Any clues as to what happened there? P3D
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: This is an odd one!

Post by Piper_EEWL »

What altitude where you flying at when this happens? Sounds like a case hypoxia to me!?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Piper_EEWL wrote:What altitude where you flying at when this happens? Sounds like a case hypoxia to me!?
Yes, this was suggested, but it came on very suddenly. BANG! Black. Not very subtle. I was at about 17000ft so it was very likely hypoxia but with a vengeance! I do recall thinking to myself 'I should be prepared for oxygen. Listen out for heavy breathing'. :D No heavy breathing indications.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Ron.
At 17000ft it was hypoxia , this black screen simulates pilot passing out and this is why the controls dont work while you are passed out , the early signs of the hypoxia setting in , is the screen starts zooming in/out as your vision starts getting effected , next time you intend flying that high , make sure oxy tank is full prior to takeoff , and at 10000ft hit the oxy pipe , this puts oxy on.
regards alan. 8)

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

alan CXA651 wrote:Hi Ron.
....is the screen starts zooming in/out as your vision starts getting effected....
That's the thing, like I said already, it was BANG! BLACK! None of the indicators. So no chance of using any judgement of when to start using oxygen. I do accept it was hypoxia, I'm just questioning the sudden onset of it.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Ron Attwood wrote: Yes, this was suggested, but it came on very suddenly. BANG! Black. Not very subtle. I was at about 17000ft so it was very likely hypoxia but with a vengeance! I do recall thinking to myself 'I should be prepared for oxygen. Listen out for heavy breathing'. :D No heavy breathing indications.
Mhh :? . Very interesting. Maybe the symptoms where "delayed" due to something?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I'll go up again later and try to replicate it. Thanks for the input chaps. :)

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Okely dokely. I took the Mustang up to 22.000ft and I DID get the 'cockpit throbbing' syndrome. It was only three throbs before a complete blackout. So it's fair to say I must have been gawping out the window or, more likely, had my head tilted back as I took a slurp of vino. I had to play the keyboard like a maestro to get access to the oxygen mask with only a few hundred feet to spare.
Moral of this story? Put the oxygen mask on at 12,000ft, end of. :D

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Two things, map a button or switch for the OXY....then you can get back to 'normal'
without diving down.

Second, in an uncontrolled situation, hit "Y" to go into slew mode to give yourself
time to assess the situation and formulate a resolution.

Paul

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Slew mode? In my years of FS, I've never used slew mode. No, I tell a lie, I used it once trying to get to the active at Glasgow Int. and in the blink of an eye ended up in Mexico City. :shock: Never again! :D

TBH That kind of altitude isn't a usual thing. I'm more of a 5000-7000ft man.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

When I read your post earlier I assumed you slewed to 22,000. I'm surprised you were able to make it that far under normal flight before hypoxia started to set in!

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Ron Attwood wrote:Slew mode? In my years of FS, I've never used slew mode. No, I tell a lie, I used it once trying to get to the active at Glasgow Int. and in the blink of an eye ended up in Mexico City. :shock: Never again! :D

TBH That kind of altitude isn't a usual thing. I'm more of a 5000-7000ft man.
If your controls are not exactly 'centered' when you enter slew mode those teleportations will happen.
Simply disable the joystick inputs in Slew Mode in the controls section and those things
won't happen. You can then use the NUMPAD keys to slew under control.

Disabling controls in Slew Mode will not affect your normal operations.

Paul

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

AviationAtWar wrote:When I read your post earlier I assumed you slewed to 22,000. I'm surprised you were able to make it that far under normal flight before hypoxia started to set in!
Flew it all the way. I was at 22,000 for quite a while too. There was some nasty turbulence at 12,000-15,000, then it smoothed out. I must have the constitution of an ox! :D

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”