severe turning just after taking off..

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Aceman
Airman First Class

severe turning just after taking off..

Post by Aceman »

Hi..

I am having problems with taking off on my P51. Everything is normal when taxing but when I take off the plane turns to the left really bad to the point I lose control of the plane. All trim is 0 too. I have the latest version of updates installed just as of last night.

Help! :lol:

Jason

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: severe turning just after taking off..

Post by Jacques »

Hi Jason,

The P-51 reacts in a realistic manner upon takeoff. You need to put in 6 degrees right rudder trim for takeoff, then move that back towards neutrall after you make your first power reductions post takeoff.

For the takeoff itself, you will need to use your rudder to maintain a straight path and, most importantly, add power in slow and steady. The Mustang has a very strong pull to the left on takeoff. Don't forget to dial in the appropriate elvator trim for your particular fuel load.

Take a moment to read the manual included with the P-51, and browse through the P-51 forum, paying special note to those threads dealing with takeoff and the left turning tendency. You can probably expect a few crashes until you get the hang of it, but it is well worth it! Once you've got it dialed in there isn't a more enjoyable, challenging and exhilerating plane to fly in FSX or P3D.

Aceman
Airman First Class

Post by Aceman »

I have been flying the P-51 for a long time now. Hundreds of take offs... I always do what you said.. Something is wrong. It should not snap to the left to the point of a uncontrolled take off.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I updated yesterday and flew for an hour, touch and go's , all was normal. You said all trim was 0, and that is not where they should be set.

Save your current .dat file (if you wish) and maybe try a re-install of the aircraft and update.

Aceman
Airman First Class

Post by Aceman »

I just did a uninstall. Reinstalled and flew with no problems. I will try the update and hopefully that will be OK. :lol:

Happy Flying!!

STOL
Airman Basic

Post by STOL »

Aceman wrote:I just did a uninstall. Reinstalled and flew with no problems. I will try the update and hopefully that will be OK. :lol:

Happy Flying!!
Verify you have not your AP connected, if so, may be it turns to go to the memorized heading, and you can't do anything. In this case cutting elec can be a good solution to recover flight controls, and after stabilization, you can turn on elec.

Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk

Aceman
Airman First Class

Post by Aceman »

Ok guys... still the same problem. This time I have my rudder at 6.0 and it turns to the left for no reason. Everything worked just fine until I updated the software. Help would be appreciated.

Jason

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Just to be sure, the control lock is not on? The control surfaces are all free and correct when viewed outside the aircraft?
When is it pulling left? At low/med/high speed on the runway and at low/med/high power setting? Is the tail off the ground?
It's a little hard to diagnose when the description offered is 'the plane goes left'. It will always go left if the controls are locked or too much power is applied for the given point of the takeoff.
Cheers
Trev

Aceman
Airman First Class

Post by Aceman »

So what is happening is that when I get ready to take off.. my rudder is set for 6.0 right. All flaps are free. When I accelerate slowly, it is normal goes down the runaway but once I hit medium speed lets say 30 or 40 the plane starts to turn to the left even when I get it full hard right on the pedals it does not respond.

I did uninstall the plane and reinstall. It works just fine. Its when I update the software is where there's a problem. Maybe somebody can post a link to the latest update for the P-51? Maybe I don't have the latest?? :?

Jason

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

Do you have the Accu-sim package for the P-51?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Aceman
Airman First Class

Post by Aceman »

Hello Lewis,

Yes, I do. So what I did was installed the 51 and then after it installed, I then installed the Accu-sim 51 next. I then go into FSX and pull up one of the default planes and it works perfect every time. I then exit out and the problem comes to when I add the update. I use the latest installer for 1/17/17. It then goes through my planes and adds the updates automatically. I then go into FSX and then I set it up as usual Rudder 6.0 to the right get ready to take off and after doing at least 30 mph the plane starts to turn to the left. I even max out my rudder to the right and has no effect. The 51 taxis fine, turns fine using the peddles. Hummm.. I wonder what is going on?

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

You still haven't said how much power you have set at 30mph. Before sending Lewis off on a search for software issues, please ensure you are not using more than 30" MP at 30mph.
Cheers
Trev

Aceman
Airman First Class

Post by Aceman »

I was using 28MF with a speed of 27mph. That is when it starts to turn left. Rudder was set at 6.0 to the right. Nothing special. I have taken off hundreds of times with no problem. It seems to do this when I installed the update 1/17/17. It was working just fine before the update.

Jason

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I just did a little test.
I run FSX Boxed SP2
Accu-Sim 01/17/2017 update
P-51D civilian
Fuselage tank installed, empty
Fuel: 76USG 100LL in each tank.
Total weight: 8160
Trim settings:
Rudder: 6° Right
Aileron: 0°
Elevator: 2° down.
Flaps: 10°
Outside temp: 24°C
airport elevation: 52ft.
takeoff RWY 270
Winds: 270@9
altimeter 1013.

Take off.
Brakes on
30"
release brakes.
no need to use full right rudder, except for a very short amont of time....I guess the Connie took to many of my flying hours;-)

Are you flying the Civ or the Military version? how much fuel do you have on board? the Mil version is a beast with full fuel load!
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”