"Rock it to lock it", cannot lock the gear

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Redglyph
Senior Airman

"Rock it to lock it", cannot lock the gear

Post by Redglyph »

Hello,

I tried this method with an artificial hydraulic failure and couldn't lock the front gear.

What I did, after taking off normally with the aircraft in good condition, at about 150 kts,
- pull the hydraulic knob to release the hydraulic pressure,
=> I see the pressure dropping on the gauge
=> I see the gear doors unlock and drop
- put the gear handle in the down position
=> I see the gears dropping
- trying the "rock it to lock it"
- trying a quick dive
- trying to accelerate to increase the air pressure

... impossible to achieve a lock. I think the rear gear is locked, at least the light remains green all the time and from the external view it seems stable, but the front gears don't remain in place. If I roll on one side, I see the green on for the other gear, but if I then roll the other side it's off again.

I don't think I'm doing something wrong, but I may have forgotten something. Has anyone tried recently? I have the latest update, A2A_Update_05_09_16, and I'm 100% it was installed after installing the Mustang.

If I put the hydraulic pressure back, I can of course get the gear up, and down locked again normally, and land safely. I'll have to try this with other birds, like the T-6, but it would be nice to see what is wrong with what I do on the P-51 (or to know whether it's a bug).

Thanks!
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: "Rock it to lock it", cannot lock the gear

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Redglyph,

Just took a quick test flight in the P-51s and can confirm the behaviour you've reported. The main gear downlocks don't appear to function properly in either the P-51 military or civilian versions if there's no hydraulic pressure.

Cheers,
Nick

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I thought this was an old bug we fixed but I put this on our general TO DO list to look into once we clear our plates a bit.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

Nick M wrote:Hi Redglyph,

Just took a quick test flight in the P-51s and can confirm the behaviour you've reported. The main gear downlocks don't appear to function properly in either the P-51 military or civilian versions if there's no hydraulic pressure.

Cheers,
Nick
Thanks for taking the time to reproduce it! :D
Scott - A2A wrote:I thought this was an old bug we fixed but I put this on our general TO DO list to look into once we clear our plates a bit.

Scott.
Thanks! Not urgent indeed, I bet you have a few things in the pipe right now ;)

Yes, not sure it's that one but I saw a thread with another related problem, rocking the plane in those conditions would break the gear, after an update for the T-6.
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

Yes, this was an issue I reported a while back, to quote Scott from that thread,
Well, let me show this as an example, as a coder no matter how certain you are about something, you always test to verify. I tested this and sure enough, there is a bug from a conflict with the T-6. It's now fixed and will be in the next core update. Thanks for posting this.

Scott.
Based on this, I figure the problem has already been resolved in-house and we, the public, are just waiting on the core update that includes the fix. Redglyph, can you perhaps do this again, and open up the maintenance hanger in flight after attempting to rock/lock the gear and see that the gear becomes damaged? If so, we can be sure we're seeing the same issue.

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

EnDSchultz wrote:Based on this, I figure the problem has already been resolved in-house and we, the public, are just waiting on the core update that includes the fix. Redglyph, can you perhaps do this again, and open up the maintenance hanger in flight after attempting to rock/lock the gear and see that the gear becomes damaged? If so, we can be sure we're seeing the same issue.
I think it's fine and didn't get this problem, but I'll double-check when I get the chance.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Ok guys I just tried this and I have the same issue. Gear won't lock. If I rock to the left I'll get a green light on the left main but if I straighten out the light goes out againand vice versa to the right. Then I pushed the hydraulic release valve back in and extended the gear. All lights green so I thought that I was good to land. But after touchdown the gear collapsed. Both of them. So I guess it does damage the gear.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Ok guys I just tried this and I have the same issue. Gear won't lock. If I rock to the left I'll get a green light on the left main but if I straighten out the light goes out againand vice versa to the right. Then I pushed the hydraulic release valve back in and extended the gear. All lights green so I thought that I was good to land. But after touchdown the gear collapsed. Both of them. So I guess it does damage the gear.

Happy flying
But once you closed the release valve, did you get the gear up, then down? You say "and extended the gear", but normally it was already down, just not locked, and to do that you already had to extend it while the hydraulic pressure was gone.

My point is that maybe it was still unlocked, not damaged, when you landed. Unless you tested it was properly locked by rocking the plane a bit?

When I closed the release valve and got the hydraulic pressure back, I retracted the gear up, then extended it down again, and the landing was fine.

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

Scratch that. I tested again, and it collapsed on the ground, both locks were broken. So the interesting question is, should I stop the flight in mid-air, quit, and restart the sim from the desktop, are those locks already broken? And from what moment?

EDIT: Sure enough, I released the valve, unlocked the landing gear, opened the hangar (bypassing the "security") and everything was fine but as soon as I rolled even so slightly, everything started to break down in the landing gear assembly.

Same old problem then.

PS: I did the same test in DCS, for comparison. Interestingly enough, it's not working either, there it's the rear wheel which never comes down, and the front wheels seem to lock very easily, not sure how easy this is supposed to be. The bug had already been reported long ago, and never fixed :?

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Redglyph wrote: But once you closed the release valve, did you get the gear up, then down? You say "and extended the gear", but normally it was already down, just not locked, and to do that you already had to extend it while the hydraulic pressure was gone.

My point is that maybe it was still unlocked, not damaged, when you landed. Unless you tested it was properly locked by rocking the plane a bit?

When I closed the release valve and got the hydraulic pressure back, I retracted the gear up, then extended it down again, and the landing was fine.
No I closed the release valve and retracted the gear. After that I extended it and it show three greens even flying a turn. I landed and on touchdown I suddenly heard the gear warning horn and the gear collapsed.

Sorry for being not more specific in my first post. But I see you had the same problem in your test.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

Yep, so, the problem should be fixed since I reported it a few months ago. We're just waiting on A2A to release the update.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

EnDSchultz wrote:Yep, so, the problem should be fixed since I reported it a few months ago. We're just waiting on A2A to release the update.
Thanks for the info. I somehow missed your post above :roll:

Happy flying

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

Piper_EEWL wrote:No I closed the release valve and retracted the gear. After that I extended it and it show three greens even flying a turn. I landed and on touchdown I suddenly heard the gear warning horn and the gear collapsed.

Sorry for being not more specific in my first post. But I see you had the same problem in your test.
No problem, I just wanted to make sure we didn't have two problems, thanks to your post I made another try and realized this was the one and same problem reported before :)

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Redglyph wrote: No problem, I just wanted to make sure we didn't have two problems, thanks to your post I made another try and realized this was the one and same problem reported before :)
Okidoki :wink: :mrgreen:

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”