Throttle jams open and strange ground maneuvering

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Re: Throttle jams open and strange ground maneuvering

Post by Dominique »

mattsta wrote:Reinstalled everything

Now Engine won't start

NOT happy

You should be happy, this is what an A2A aircraft is all about :mrgreen: , learning the features of a complex aircraft. You flooded it. A2A recently improved the 51 fuel feeding system with the T6 release. There is a couple of threads about it. Short priming is key. In case of flooding, push the throttle full forward, crank, wait few sec. and push the throttle back immediatly after the engine catches.
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

mattsta
Airman First Class

Post by mattsta »

Dominique wrote:
mattsta wrote:Reinstalled everything

Now Engine won't start

NOT happy

You should be happy, this is what an A2A aircraft is all about :mrgreen: , learning the features of a complex aircraft. You flooded it. A2A recently improved the 51 fuel feeding system with the T6 release. There is a couple of threads about it. Short priming is key. In case of flooding, push the throttle full forward, crank, wait few sec. and push the throttle back immediatly after the engine catches.
No I'm not

I've used this software on and off for 2 years and I've never had a problem starting it

I've just had another go. I've done all the correct pre-start checks.

Aircraft condition is "As new"
The aircraft is fuelled up.
It has coolant and oil.
The ambient temperature is 18C.
Carburettor air is fully open
Carburettor heat is OFF
LHS Main fuel tank is selected and fuel shut-off is selected to ON.
Throttle is set to idle cut-off for engine start.
Fuel pump is on.
Battery is on.
Parking brake on.

I've shortened the engine prime to 2 seconds. Throttle is set at 13% which is where I've always set it for start up. Spin engine for 3-4 seconds and engage both magnetos.

NOTHING

It will not even splutter

Regarding the earlier question, I'm using FSX 10 SP2. I'm using 64-Bit Windows 7 operating system. I've checked that I am actually running FSX10 SP2 and I am.

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

2 sec is a little on the short side except if the engine is warm. Adding a couple of seconds (not more !) during the crank might help if the engine is cold. However, and quoting Scott here from another thread, "Remember, the engine temps are persistent so if you reload the plane, or even quit FSX and come back in a few minutes, the engine will still be warm. Just priming a warm engine a little can flood it" (http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=53866).

I assume that the cranking works (prop rotating slowly).
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

What makes it hard to run these issues down is that they might be due to Accu-Sim realism, or they might be due to some problem with your setup. It's sometimes not clear which is which.

Have you tried auto-start (the button in the shift-3 menu)? If it starts on auto-start, then the problem might be your starting technique, or maybe your throttle setup (which was your original problem). If it doesn't start on auto-start, then the problem is clearly with the setup.

You said you'd had to reinstall all your software recently. I'm wondering if your problems might be related to simconnect. If one of the simconnect versions is missing, it can cause glitches like the ones you're describing. It's generally best to have all the legacy versions of simconnect installed. Unfortunately this doesn't happen automatically.

Try this. Go to your FSX main folder, then navigate to FSX/SDK/CoreUtilitiesKit/SimConnect SDK/Legacy Interfaces. Open each folder you find inside the Legacy Interfaces folder, then double click on the SimConnect Installer. There'll be several folders - the number depends on your FSX version (I've got three in my FSX-SE setup). You need to run each installer to make sure that all versions of simconnect are present.

Once you've done that, try your startup again and see what happens.

If none of this works, we may have to get you some official A2A help. The crew is all attending EAA AirVenture this week, which is making for unusually long response times. Next week should be better.

Hang in - I'm pretty confident this is solvable.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”