Engine failure on each flight

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
woofgang
Airman

Engine failure on each flight

Post by woofgang »

Strange - the first half dozen or so flights in the P-51 civilian - no problem. But now with 4 successive flights the engine seizes up. Twice in an overhead pattern, once shortly after takeoff and once in cruise. All switches appear to be fine. Checking the engine instruments right after failure show nothing out of the green. And of course I start all over each time - aircraft is in excellent shape according to those darn mechanics! Any ideas?

Jim Parish

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Engine failure on each flight

Post by DHenriques_ »

woofgang wrote:Strange - the first half dozen or so flights in the P-51 civilian - no problem. But now with 4 successive flights the engine seizes up. Twice in an overhead pattern, once shortly after takeoff and once in cruise. All switches appear to be fine. Checking the engine instruments right after failure show nothing out of the green. And of course I start all over each time - aircraft is in excellent shape according to those darn mechanics! Any ideas?

Jim Parish
Just for kicks, bring the plane up in the maintenance hangar and have a look at things.
Dudley Henriques

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Whats the oil level in the shift+4 menu?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

woofgang
Airman

Post by woofgang »

OK, thanks for tips ....I will do an absolute white glove inspection before the next flight. Perhaps I've gotten careless.

woofgang
Airman

Post by woofgang »

Oh and the oil level is 93%, 19.4 gal. The hanger is telling me it's in 'great shape'.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi woofgang,

I don't know, what sim, you use FSX or P3D, try to reinstall your SimConnect.

Useful info could be found here:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 94&t=29887

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Hey woofgang, that sounds frustrating for sure. Curious, what specific parts need replaced after seize? Open maintenance hanger and then inspect engine. Don't just do a complete overhaul. Next, are you flying inverted when engine seizes? The P-51 can only fly inverted for a short time before running out of oil. Also, you gotta watch your MP and RPM's. You will quickly ruin an engine if either or both are not managed properly.

Hope you get it sorted Sir.

Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

woofgang
Airman

Post by woofgang »

Okay...once again, thanks for the help. I have treated this baby with kid gloves now. On my first check out flight, I lost hydraulic fluid and had the gear stuck down! Do I mishandle this plane or what?! ;)

Anyway, will keep testing it. And no, I wasn't inverted at the engine failures, but two did occur during an overhead pass right after I rolled out on the downwind (following a 45 deg. bank or so).

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

woofgang wrote: Anyway, will keep testing it. And no, I wasn't inverted at the engine failures, but two did occur during an overhead pass right after I rolled out on the downwind (following a 45 deg. bank or so).
Positive g loads shouldn't be a problem. It's the negative loads the prohibit the fuel and lubrication system from working correctly.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”